Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the sense of reading people in such a strong way is something unique to INFPs, but i just want to know if any of u out there can read people really well too. Its a blessing and a curse! I can sense what people are feeling and pretty much what theyre going to say long before they speak, so much to the point where i can answer random questions before they open their mouths. Its like theyre emotions are jumping out at me. Its also a curse though because i can read and sniff out very easily when people are mad or lying or malice or sad or upset. Just wanted to know if any of you feel the same way about your ability to read and sense emotions well?? Please tell me im not alone!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can relate to some point, though you seem to be more sensitive to it compared to how I have experienced it.

People doesn't really need to speak to tell us things. Much information is provided through breathing, eye movements, facial expression, phermones and body language in general. It is fully possible to train oneself to conciously notice this to a higher degree, though some people seem to have a natural affinity for it and processes it unconciously.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
More like 7th sense. I've always figured the 6th sense was that you can tell when someone's staring at you.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I can read emotions just fine, but I certainly wouldn't say I'm exceptional. Mine's based far more on the ability to read into what people say. While I can pick up on facial expressions, I don't really know what they mean until I know them personally or hear what they have to say.

And some people are far easier to read than others.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can relate to some point, though you seem to be more sensitive to it compared to how I have experienced it.

People doesn't really need to speak to tell us things. Much information is provided through breathing, eye movements, facial expression, phermones and body language in general. It is fully possible to train oneself to conciously notice this to a higher degree, though some people seem to have a natural affinity for it and processes it unconciously.
Yes thats exactly what i mean! Being able to pick up on facial cues and body language easily and determining who they are. Thanks for describing it better

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Often, yes. It's hardly another sense, just a developed perception of body language and emotional gravity. It might be the result of an over-concern for others around me and a desire to impose my value system on them Fe-style :p
I meant sense as in reading people comes as easily and second nature like a sense, not that its an actual sense

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I think the sense of reading people in such a strong way is something unique to INFPs, but i just want to know if any of u out there can read people really well too. Its a blessing and a curse! I can sense what people are feeling and pretty much what theyre going to say long before they speak, so much to the point where i can answer random questions before they open their mouths. Its like theyre emotions are jumping out at me. Its also a curse though because i can read and sniff out very easily when people are mad or lying or malice or sad or upset. Just wanted to know if any of you feel the same way about your ability to read and sense emotions well?? Please tell me im not alone!!!
I used to be surprised by this, but then I figured out that I just know how to read other people's emotions from their face, tonality of voice, connect it with what I know about the situation and them, and i read into what they say/write. I put a lot of information together and as you say people's emotions and intentions are very clear to me. I even did this in texting situations, you know MSN. ^^; kinda very easy, no effort required, people almost can't lie to me and I always know when they are faking something, especially when they are trying to hide emotions.

It usually ends up in me saying something in the direction of the exact problem and them being surprised at me knowing without them telling.

The more difficult thing about this is explaining that feeling of knowing someone's "essence".

<_< it gets annoying when the mayor gives a speech at a charity event and you can feel how false he is, how much he doesn't care...watching and seeing him talk makes you cringe and you can't help but turn away.

Other people's emotions don't become mine thou and I can be perfectly cheery while someone else is crying or something :/.

...but no I never know wtf is exactly wrong. Its always an intuitive guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The thing is how do I know if all these vibes and insights I get are correct. I seems to experiencing the same thing as you but what if the vibe I get that this person is lying is incorrect. There was once though where my prediction was confirm to be correct. This person asked me to guess who her friend likes and I got it correct from the first try by again just the vibe I got when her friend looked at the guy she likes. Her expression was just blank and It was as if she was trying hiding her emotion from him.

·
Registered
9,017 Posts
I reckon I am not able to read people's minds, but I project thoughts and feelings and meanings just about everywhere I look. From time to time, I get it right. Similar to the daily horoscope, I'd say.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The thing is how do I know if all these vibes and insights I get are correct. I seems to experiencing the same thing as you but what if the vibe I get that this person is lying is incorrect. There was once though where my prediction was confirm to be correct. This person asked me to guess who her friend likes and I got it correct from the first try by again just the vibe I got when her friend looked at the guy she likes. Her expression was just blank and It was as if she was trying hiding her emotion from him.
Thats true, alot of times we cant be sure that what weve guessed is correct based on what their facial expression or body language just told us, but sometimes we can be pretty sure. You never really know

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
INFP's read people to an extent, but you sound more INFJ than INFP?

Reactions: Laeona

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
It was a 40/60 type result. 60 was P and 40 was J. I think im starting to develop more J qualities than i used to
the cognitive functions are different in INFJ's and INFP's

INFJ's use
Ni Internal Intuiting dominantly and strongly
Fe External Feeling is secondary
Ti Internal Thinking is territary
Se External Sensing is inferior, used but in an inferior way

INFP's
Fi Internal Feeling dominant
Ne External Intuiting secondary
Si Internal Sensing territary
Te External Thinking inferior

http://cognitiveprocesses.com

there you can see the definitions, they are not complete definitions, just simple and basic but still helpful to a point, other than that you have to study extensively the cognitive functions and that is a lifetime study, lol :):happy:

Reactions: Enkidu

·
Registered
738 Posts
Perhaps all NF's have the ability, but it's like any muscle, the more you use it, the stronger it gets. I definitely sense things about people and situations that most others don't pick up on. Sight is my strongest sense, reading is my second. I've noted that different NF personality types seem to pick up on different things with this ability. Having an INFP, ENFP, ENFJ, and INFJ in the same room would be awesome for that reason. We'd have so much to share with each other. And I think we'd be amused constantly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
@Laeona

I don't think it's a NF-exclusive ability, just that we by nature are more likely to be interested in developing it. I fully agree with your analogy about it being like a muscle, just that I think that anyone with the slightest hint of empathy can learn to use it effectively.

I really like the scenario you painted up though, with alot of empaths giving each other feedback.
In my experience, people in general are either passing shallow judgement upon others or keep deeper insights hidden. It would be very interesting to hear what the latter are thinking about others for a change!:happy:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts