Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This small excerpt is from an ENTj socionics description.

"The ENTj can talk a lot about subjects in which he is interested in, but remain very silent in any topic he finds slightly boring (which includes most topics in small talk). When he's into something, he can get very passionate and start gesticulating energetically. He may speak 'with his hands' alot. "

Remaining silent in conversation because I found the conversation boring and not enjoying small talk made me think I was introverted. People's reactions towards it made me even more quiet to an extend of just not wanting to talk to people but feeling bored and lonely that I couldn't have a stimulating conversation with someone. I do tend to get a little excited (but embarrassed afterwards) when talking about things and I am interested in. I get very expressive with my hands (Boopidibopiiti!) so knowing this helped me along with various other information to find my type. Before I refused to believe I could be one and when I was asked to try it on before, I refused it even more. It seems like I'm finally getting the answer here, even though I was so sure I was an INTJ before.

I suppose it would be better to check if someone here who considers themselves an ENTJ could tell me if they could relate to it to help me on my little quest (little? :p)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Depends on what the topic and situation.

If its something dumb and I need to tell you something more important, I'll brush off what you are saying and say whatever is important to me.

If its in a situation where the end of the conversation will be awkward, I won't be silent. I'll small talk. For example, if I'm speaking with someone and we get into an elevator together, I will most definitely small talk you about weather or traffic. I will not be quiet in that situation - I have an urge to fill that standing silence with dialogue.

If its a situation where the topic is dumb or uninterested and the situation won't be awkward, I'll clam up. For example, if my wife is talking at the dinner table about curtains for the spare bedroom, I will be pretty silent. Or if my coworker tells me about a canoe trip he had, I'll nod my head, say how that sounds nice, and return to my work afterward.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Assbiscuits, I would like to answer your question, but remained stunned by the sacred image of Lep.

Deep discussions about cosmic questions, by broadening our horizons, can really engage me. For example, what was better: Leprechaun 4: In Space, or Leprechaun 5: Leprechaun in the Hood?

In my early twenties I probably could relate-- the E wanted to be liked, yet the T found conversations boring, so I just got annoyed with a lot of situations and didn't say much. Now I just say what's on my mind, and paradoxically become more likable by being less likable.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here here.
i used to feel the say way you did assbiscuits. however i found out that alot of people also hate small talk and are only doing it to fil the silince. best thing to do in those situations is to fill them with talk about stuff you are passonite about or if you want to learn about a person not to say anything at all.

Reactions: Aßbiscuits

·
Registered
842 Posts
This small excerpt is from an ENTj socionics description.

"The ENTj can talk a lot about subjects in which he is interested in, but remain very silent in any topic he finds slightly boring (which includes most topics in small talk). When he's into something, he can get very passionate and start gesticulating energetically. He may speak 'with his hands' alot. "

Remaining silent in conversation because I found the conversation boring and not enjoying small talk made me think I was introverted. People's reactions towards it made me even more quiet to an extend of just not wanting to talk to people but feeling bored and lonely that I couldn't have a stimulating conversation with someone. I do tend to get a little excited (but embarrassed afterwards) when talking about things and I am interested in. I get very expressive with my hands (Boopidibopiiti!) so knowing this helped me along with various other information to find my type. Before I refused to believe I could be one and when I was asked to try it on before, I refused it even more. It seems like I'm finally getting the answer here, even though I was so sure I was an INTJ before.

I suppose it would be better to check if someone here who considers themselves an ENTJ could tell me if they could relate to it to help me on my little quest (little? :p)
That is so me! When I'm really into my conversations... I am so loud...

I just read the socionics description... haha. That's... pretty close. The personalitypage one wasn't all that great.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I find this to be very true, and not just in situations I get silent. I have a constant flow of thoughts in my mind that I filter out because I do not believe them to fit into a situation, and thus get silent. On the other hand I've learned that letting those thoughts out is better both for me and the situation.

For instance: If a conversation goes around for instance cars, which I usually don't care to talk about my mind zooms out and I'll start thinking of something else. Now I try to let those thoughts out as well, even though they might not seem appropriate. It might help the topics get interesting, and if not, I just walk away to someone else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.