Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will begin with a question and an elaboration on that question and then allow this forum to progress. I encourage you all to pose your own questions for analysis/debate/affirmation/ect.

As an INTJ, do you find that when you speak to others you refrain from exposing them to your full-fledged intellectuality? Personally, I've noticed that, unless I believe the person I'm speaking with is competent enough to understand what I'm thinking (which is rare and when I do, I am always disappointed), I will severely 'dumb-down' my ideas, beliefs, ect. when I share them with others. Essentially, I refrain from speaking my mind wholly and, in most cases, it is out of fear of rejection. When I allow others a deeper insight into my mind, they tend to feel intimidated and consequently (and repeatedly) reject my efforts at establishing a relationship, be it even an acquaintanceship. Because of this, my thoughts tend to be solely mine and, occasionally, this makes me feel lonely. Can any of you relate?

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
I filter for other people's sake but not because I think they can't keep up with me. Because I know that they value things I don't and vice versa. Being able to hear another person and being heard in return by reframing your thoughts so they can hear you, isn't dumbing things down. It's communicating effectively.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Absolutely so. Although I'm pretty adept at translating things into plain English and am really good at teaching, I do hold a lot of myself back, mostly expecting a negative or confused reaction to a lot of things I'm thinking about and a lot of people not valuing or caring for the same things that I do. I believe from my own experience of living with a family that's nothing like me and hasn't one ounce of concern for many things I'm interested in or think about, that filtering, both of what I present to the world and which people I allow to see certain pieces of myself is critical for keeping the right people in and the wrong people out as well as getting what I need.

Those who I have allowed to see the sides that I frequently hold back, I have no regrets with them and they don't seem to be bothered by my other sides and may actually like them, An interesting observation that I make, those who see more of the things I hold back are like me in 3 regards: more intellectual and informed in general, skeptical and not too dogmatic or attached to certain ways of thinking, and recognize and accept the fact that there are many truths about the world, but some of them are just very ugly.

·
Registered
24,348 Posts
As an INTJ, do you find that when you speak to others you refrain from exposing them to your full-fledged intellectuality? Personally, I've noticed that, unless I believe the person I'm speaking with is competent enough to understand what I'm thinking (which is rare and when I do, I am always disappointed), I will severely 'dumb-down' my ideas, beliefs, ect. when I share them with others. Essentially, I refrain from speaking my mind wholly and, in most cases, it is out of fear of rejection. When I allow others a deeper insight into my mind, they tend to feel intimidated and consequently (and repeatedly) reject my efforts at establishing a relationship, be it even an acquaintanceship. Because of this, my thoughts tend to be solely mine and, occasionally, this makes me feel lonely. Can any of you relate?
I'm not an INTJ so much as I could be an INxJ(or an Ixxx) but I can completely relate, especially with the underlined.

It's usually not that I think I'm more intellectual than a person but that I know they don't care to talk about certain things and/or their imagination/openness for the discussion isn't quite where I would like it to be(maybe they do have that capacity and I'm just stereotyping based off very limited interaction...).

Normally, I'll throw out a comment and suddenly this wash comes over them and they're not sure what to say/where you're going/what you mean/completely misinterpret etc... At that point(most of the time), my Fe kicks in and I start to go easy and just try to make them feel more comfortable by making myself seem more stupid/normal. It's to say, "Hey, I don't think I'm smarter/better than you or anything; I'm just a weirdo." Sometimes though, I will keep being a robot and bulldozing because I find something interesting/want to arrive at a satisfying conclusion to my own thoughts and/or I'm purposefully trying to extract information/get a response/get a point across.

I justify peoples' incomprehension as them not having the time/patience/interest. So I'll hold back because I don't want to bore them, bore myself with their thoughts, or scare them off because they can't separate the notion that my thoughts on things aren't actually who I am. It's not so much out of a fear of rejection as it is that I can't be bothered.

Feeling lonely possibly because of just feeling rejected from society as a whole could be something... It works out well I guess as I'm a bit misanthropic by nature, have irregularly high standards(that I don't follow) and can be extremely picky as hell.

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts
I don't like to talk to people like I assume they're stupid because I loathe when people do that to me and because I like to provide opportunity for people to surprise me. Its also more amusing to see the less inclined people dig themselves into an intellectual hole and see how they react to their own idiocy when they realize it. Wow, I'm kind of a jerk :laughing:

Sometimes I'll keep things to myself if I'm not in the mood for debate or don't care enough, but generally I speak my mind until someone looks confused or asks for clarification.

·
Registered
324 Posts
For me it’s not about thinking they can’t keep up intellectually, it’s more about me not being sure of my ability to connect to ppl emotionally. I often feel clueless when it comes to catering to someone’s emotional needs. The “How you say what you say is more important than what you say” is challenging for me to wholly accept.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts