Personality Cafe banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
The "Spider Web" visualization is Ne. Ni looks more like a flow chart. Now of course flow charts and spider webs do look similar but one focuses on the expansion and interconnections of the present while the other focuses on projections.

Your experience seems more Ne to me as well since you were aware of the connections and relevance of things in the moment due to Subjective Sensation (Si) and Objective Intuition (Ne).
Diagrams are the key similarity though. Sometimes I 'see' spider diagrams, ordered and prioritised ideas (hierarchical diagrams), for and against tree diagrams, or ideas as though plotted onto a ball of string (more depth closer to the middle). Then again my educational background was project management, STEM and Psychology with most of my ideas that 'plot' like daisy chains, scatter diagrams, waterfalls (a, down a level, b, down, c), head-body-limbs, categories, star shapes, rings, keyword pair associations or Venn diagrams as if interconnected memory recall modules (dyslexia epitomised also ;-).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I don't see how the forms of the images can indicate an attitude type (E/I) one way or the other.

From Jung's Psychological Types:

"The primary function of intuition, however, is simply to transmit images, or perceptions of relations between things, which could not be transmitted by the other functions or only in a very roundabout way. These images have the value of specific insights which have a decisive influence on action whenever intuition is given priority. In this case, psychic adaptation will be grounded almost entirely on intuitions. "

Extraverted intuition:

"In the extraverted attitude, intuition as the function of unconscious perception is wholly directed to external objects. "

Introverted intuition:

"Introverted intuition is directed to the inner object, a term that might justly be applied to the contents of the unconscious. The relation of inner objects to consciousness is entirely analogous to that of outer objects, though their reality is not physical but psychic. They appear to intuitive perception as subjective images of things which, though not to be met with in the outside world, constitute the contents of the unconscious, and of the collective unconscious in particular. These contents per se are naturally not accessible to experience, a quality they have in common with external objects. For just as external objects correspond only relatively to our perception of them, so the phenomenal forms of the inner objects are also relative—products of their (to us) inaccessible essence and of the peculiar nature of the intuitive function."
Yes yes, your quote and intuition itself ultimately relates to a person's ability to understand the various factors and variables that are playing behind the "sensory" scene. For example you see a product on a store shelf (S), you know the product must have been manufactured elsewhere (N).

So as per your quote Ne thinks of all the places and ways it could have been manufactured and what resources were required in the process of this manufacturing.

Ni thinks of the economic and political implications of this product, where it most probably was manufactured (China) and what all this could mean to the future state of the world.

Now it's important to remember that all human being use both of these, it's just that some prefer Ni while others prefer Ne. But preference does not imply a utter disregard for the others mindset.

In the case of the OP, the scenario indicated to me a preference for Ne rather than Ni.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Diagrams are the key similarity though. Sometimes I 'see' spider diagrams, ordered and prioritised ideas (hierarchical diagrams), for and against tree diagrams, or ideas as though plotted onto a ball of string (more depth closer to the middle). Then again my educational background was project management, STEM and Psychology with most of my ideas that 'plot' like daisy chains, scatter diagrams, waterfalls (a, down a level, b, down, c), head-body-limbs, categories, star shapes, rings, keyword pair associations or Venn diagrams as if interconnected memory recall modules (dyslexia epitomised also ;-).
The diagrams in general represent "N", it's the nature and objective of the diagrams that differentiate them. In my opinion.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For me I would say the images I see in my mind do not actually expand or fan out in a way I can only understand an Ne user might see. Its more like seeing a huge ball of string like one of the above users commented. It gets smaller and enflates and then shrinks, like i can feel a sort of "singular point" in the middle of my head when its occuring. I cant think of it in like expansive terms, its always very condensed and has a sort of structure to it.

And i dont look at external objects to form patterns, the implications that i can pick up behind them are more obvious to me. And they get pulled into this one thing.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I would like to know if any other INFJs, INTJs, other Ni users or just others in general have experienced something similar to this:

I’ve been thinking about how Ni is mainly dubbed a mysterious, subconscious function by some sources and people. And how, it’s very much unlikely you will ever get to see Ni actually at work and synthesizing all the data (even though a lot of us are/may be fully aware of it).

But… Several times now, actually no– this morning I can tell you this. I can recall going into my kitchen and cracking myself my three eggs into a bowl for breakfast. And to my almost “shallow” surprise (since I don’t really get surprised… i get excited, maybe?), I SAW images in my mind of… basically, chunks and clusters of stuff/data, and flowing strings crowding around a central point (looked similar to DNA imo). Segments of what I would assume as “information” were moving in and out like a crazy maniac puzzle or rubix cube, and in a way, all the “chunks” were almost transparent and fluid in nature that it all COULD pass through into and out of each other. And they did. Everything was quickly racing around, associating and disassociating, until…

Now, pardon me for admitting I actually don’t remember what exactly I was thinking about before that brief image. Lol But I suddenly had an urge to go on Youtube and research the Mandela Effect. :confused: I forgot to put my eggs into the oven to poach. Not that this was the huge result of whatever the image in my mind was showing to me, but I really feel over the past months my mental processes have been updating me on actual “http://personalitycafe.com/images/visions” on what’s GOING ON in there. Lol Before when I would zone out, I would see virtually nothing and then just get an “…oh!” out of nowhere. Now however, I can actually SEE what is going on in my head with Ni or at least that is my interpretation of it, I can’t think of what else it could be unless I picked up a memory of briefly seeing a similar image (maybe a gif? Damn you tumblr lol) of the same thing…

But it was very complex in nature, I don’t think I could fully flesh out how it looks verbally– I would have to get a legit program and make something out of it if I really wanted. Another short thing I can tell of its detail is, there was no “visible color” unless you want to go with fading white/clear… In some dimension or perspective, that is a color right? Lol I say it as a fading color because it really appeared to be flashing in and out sporadically. You could easily tell this was not something you see “from the outside” like looking at something projected onto a 2D screen, but it was more like seeing yourself literally a couple inches away from the whole thing. Like you are “inside”… Crazy. Is it like a representation of Ni and tertiary Ti busy working together…? Lol :shocked:

Curious. I would like to know if any other INFJs or ‘one else experienced something like this? Have you gotten up close and personal with “Ni” in your mind’s eye? Lol

I-T (VenuTauri on PerC)
What movies/tv shows have you watched lately (say the last 4 weeks or so)?

These days (last couple of years) lots of intros of popular tv-shows start with what you describe.

And as to being able to "see" Ni. I'm aware that my brain is always busy with something. But it's just an awareness. I don't know any details. But that wouldn't be really possible either. Ni (and I think this applies to all functions) isn't really something that happens as images or sounds or language or feelings, etc. Anything that we can understand is just the result of Ni. The "Ahah" moment often used to describe Ni is just a way we become aware of what's going on in our brains. Feelings also are a way we become aware of what's going on in our brains. How you got to the point of feeling is what Fe (in your case) is doing. The feeling itself is just the very last step, not the process it self.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What movies/tv shows have you watched lately (say the last 4 weeks or so)?

These days (last couple of years) lots of intros of popular tv-shows start with what you describe.

And as to being able to "see" Ni. I'm aware that my brain is always busy with something. But it's just an awareness. I don't know any details. But that wouldn't be really possible either. Ni (and I think this applies to all functions) isn't really something that happens as images or sounds or language or feelings, etc. Anything that we can understand is just the result of Ni. The "Ahah" moment often used to describe Ni is just a way we become aware of what's going on in our brains. Feelings also are a way we become aware of what's going on in our brains. How you got to the point of feeling is what Fe (in your case) is doing. The feeling itself is just the very last step, not the process it self.
Besides Krampus on christmas day, i did not see any other movies and i dont watch TV xD

Hm yeah I see what you mean. I think it's a mix of Ni Ti of what I'm describing maybe and these mental images are more just a thing to illustrate it. I do a lot of visualizing and im constantly putting things together since im staying home more often with less interaction with people face to face. You can say these images have become my hobby xD

Id agree that yes we cant see, hear, etc the functions in that sort of way.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,912 Posts
While I have never experienced a visual expression of Ni working in the moment... I have learned to recognize it and explore it more when it hits me. I'll get an aha moment for example and then my Ti will backtrace the threads and connections my Ni made to the tidbits of information I received. Usually I'll visualize the info bits as short movie clip memories playing in little thought bubbles with interconnecting lines that my Ni drew to form them into the thought or conclusion it fed me. The center point where all the lines converge is the fully formed idea that links all the various tidbits. Engaging my Ti in that way has really shown me how Ni is very much like a subconscious lens that focuses a ton of information into a clear picture or fundamental understanding. Whereas Ne seems like the opposite. A lens that refracts info from a single point of inspiration expanding it into a multitude of connected possibilities.

The whole NiTi process in general has helped me to trust my intuition more and also allowed me the ability to logically explain to others the reasons for my idea.

..."Because I'm INFJ and the universe told me so" generally isn't a very convincing reason for my Ni fed conclusions.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well, it's hard to explain but I realised a lot about my own thinking after having talked to my ENFP fiance, who stated that the larger your vocabulary the better for your thinking, because obviously everyone thinks in words.

I didn't know how to break it to him, but I don't think in words. Sometimes a single word will pop up, if it's a "large" word that will sum up what I'm thinking, but it doesn't happen often. In my mind I usually see images, and they mean things. Their meaning is usually not what they are, for example if I try to explain something I might get an image of something that resembles a roller coaster in my mind, and it symbolizes a concept to which I have to assign words for it to make sense in the external world. It's a bit like when you dream, you might meet a person who isn't anything like he/she is in real life, but you know that person symbolizes them anyway...

Ugh, am I even making sense?

Edit: Often times the objects in my mind, if I drew them, wouldn't make sense to anyone. A star shaped figure could symbolize the concept of "many things together makes a whole" or whatever. So if you were to read my mind you'd probably think I was really stupid, thinking of vague images of things that don't always resemble anything "real".

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a very interesting question because before I started looking into MBTI I really never had a grasp on how my thought process worked, well I guess I understood it but I wouldn't ever try to explain it to someone else.

BUT now that I have finally found a name for it (Ni) it actually does make sense to me.

The only example I can really think of is back when I was in high school when I would meet someone new via social media or a mutual friend I noticed that when I would go back to school I started to see that person more and more and it would trip me out because I was still going the same way I always went.

Eventually I just chalked it up to the fact that they were probably always going that same way as well but until I actually met them they were just another face in the crowd.

So for me I always understood that things would just come to me, but once I learned about Ni I finally understood why they come to me and I could finally put a finger on what that process is called.

So I believe once we all get a grasp on what Ni is and how it works we do begin to reach a little bit and try and understand how this tricky function works and plays out in our day to day lives.

One thing I always found strange is when I was younger and I would ride the bus one thing I would do during election season is see all these signs people would have for different candidates in their yards, democratic and republican and I would look at their houses and cars and start to imagine and actually visualize what these people did for work and how many kids they have and I would see like their whole life play out in front of me and I always found it so strange but it all seemed so real.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
While I have never experienced a visual expression of Ni working in the moment... I have learned to recognize it and explore it more when it hits me. I'll get an aha moment for example and then my Ti will backtrace the threads and connections my Ni made to the tidbits of information I received. Usually I'll visualize the info bits as short movie clip memories playing in little thought bubbles with interconnecting lines that my Ni drew to form them into the thought or conclusion it fed me. The center point where all the lines converge is the fully formed idea that links all the various tidbits. Engaging my Ti in that way has really shown me how Ni is very much like a subconscious lens that focuses a ton of information into a clear picture or fundamental understanding. Whereas Ne seems like the opposite. A lens that refracts info from a single point of inspiration expanding it into a multitude of connected possibilities.

The whole NiTi process in general has helped me to trust my intuition more and also allowed me the ability to logically explain to others the reasons for my idea.

..."Because I'm INFJ and the universe told me so" generally isn't a very convincing reason for my Ni fed conclusions.
Yeah id say the same. I'm not so far into like the psychic, new age, stuff where you really just rely on Ni Fe Se the whole time to draw conclusions. Like "thats really great but please be realistic, tell me more lol" I value my Ti so much especially as someone who has been born into and grew up in a very Thinker populated family. Literally just my grandma and youngest cousin are feelers, everyone else uses Te and Ti heavily so it got me to really want to develop mine, which helps me reason well with them at least closer at level. xD Before as a young girl I'd rely so much on Ni Fe (heck we all did) and no one could take me seriously. So yeah I can relate, Ti is amazing once you get it up to par with Ni. Like a double edged sword.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, it's hard to explain but I realised a lot about my own thinking after having talked to my ENFP fiance, who stated that the larger your vocabulary the better for your thinking, because obviously everyone thinks in words.

I didn't know how to break it to him, but I don't think in words. Sometimes a single word will pop up, if it's a "large" word that will sum up what I'm thinking, but it doesn't happen often. In my mind I usually see images, and they mean things. Their meaning is usually not what they are, for example if I try to explain something I might get an image of something that resembles a roller coaster in my mind, and it symbolizes a concept to which I have to assign words for it to make sense in the external world. It's a bit like when you dream, you might meet a person who isn't anything like he/she is in real life, but you know that person symbolizes them anyway...

Ugh, am I even making sense?

Edit: Often times the objects in my mind, if I drew them, wouldn't make sense to anyone. A star shaped figure could symbolize the concept of "many things together makes a whole" or whatever. So if you were to read my mind you'd probably think I was really stupid, thinking of vague images of things that don't always resemble anything "real".
You make perfect sense. Yes I think in images and somehow can "work out meaning/logic" from them. It always symbolizes something and makes sense-- at least to myself. Others not so much haha

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This is a very interesting question because before I started looking into MBTI I really never had a grasp on how my thought process worked, well I guess I understood it but I wouldn't ever try to explain it to someone else.

BUT now that I have finally found a name for it (Ni) it actually does make sense to me.

The only example I can really think of is back when I was in high school when I would meet someone new via social media or a mutual friend I noticed that when I would go back to school I started to see that person more and more and it would trip me out because I was still going the same way I always went.

Eventually I just chalked it up to the fact that they were probably always going that same way as well but until I actually met them they were just another face in the crowd.

So for me I always understood that things would just come to me, but once I learned about Ni I finally understood why they come to me and I could finally put a finger on what that process is called.

So I believe once we all get a grasp on what Ni is and how it works we do begin to reach a little bit and try and understand how this tricky function works and plays out in our day to day lives.

One thing I always found strange is when I was younger and I would ride the bus one thing I would do during election season is see all these signs people would have for different candidates in their yards, democratic and republican and I would look at their houses and cars and start to imagine and actually visualize what these people did for work and how many kids they have and I would see like their whole life play out in front of me and I always found it so strange but it all seemed so real.
Ahh I've done that before actually! With friends and people I have been acquainted with, I suppose the Ni Se impressions you can get from people naturally give you a guess or insight into how they possibly live their lives. It's an interesting thing. Like you're just making assumptions by impressions, and they may not be true but they can be very lucid indeed.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If Ni is truly my dominant function, then I indeed see it flash before my eyes and form all sorts of abstract shapes to represent words and ideas.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If Ni is truly my dominant function, then I indeed see it flash before my eyes and form all sorts of abstract shapes to represent words and ideas.
lol it's like telling the story and intention of the whole universe and how it works from one wacky mental image xD

21 - 35 of 35 Posts