Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before we dive into the lateral thinking questions, it’s important to know exactly what lateral thinking is, and how it differs from critical thinking. While lateral thinking is certainly “critical,” as a specific train of thought, it is not the same as what we call “critical thinking.”

According to de Bono himself, while critical thinking is about examining the pieces in play in any given scenario, lateral thinking is about rejecting the “status quo” of ideas and conceiving entirely new ways of looking at a problem. It’s about bringing new pieces into the puzzle, rather than just working with what you have. You can check out this course on thinking outside the box for more detail.

If you’re looking for a guide on critical thinking, check out this course, or refer to this guide on critical thinking exercises.
https://blog.udemy.com/lateral-thinking-questions/

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Got all but the first 2 right. Actually fell down a 34-36 ft retaining wall when I was 8.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
I got 6/7

I actually believe I am a skilled lateral thinker and also I believe it to explain why I likely may have mistyped as an intuitive originally mistaking my lateral thinking with some of the descriptors for intuitive. Like do you think out of the box, er I actually have known some intuitives who do not go that far out of box. They should maybe consider incorporating distinguishing lateral thinking from intuition on tests possibly. Anyways tends to be my ace up my sleeve.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: Sensational

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,561 Posts
Here are my answers xD *SPOILER ALERT DO NOT READ FURTHER UNTIL YOU HAVE TAKEN THE TEST*

1. They were wearing a bungee rope.
2. One person put their egg back
3. Same two feet, because boat will just float on top of the water
4. None, they’d all fly away because of danger
5. They weigh the same
6. All countries on Earth have 4th day of July, even if it’s not their holiday
7. Light the match first, then use the candle’s fire to light everything else

My responses to the given answers. I got 2 wrong, according to the answer guide for the test. I am INFP (if there's any connection between lateral thinking and cognitive functions).

1. Ah, fair enough. This does make more sense than my conclusion xD
2. This also makes more sense than my response xD
3. Same answer as me
4. Well this question comes down to sentence structure I guess. I thought it was asking how many were left on the fence…the answer would be 0, because the dead bird would no longer be on the fence. Nevertheless, same answer as mine (although I’ve seen this question somewhere else before I must admit xD)
5. Yup, same answer
6. Same
7. Same once again

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,561 Posts
This is a more indepth and challenging version in my opinion

https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/sk/puzzles.htm

I got 16/26
I felt like many answers to these questions required prior knowledge of how something worked, or was just strange. Like the last question for example, smuggling motorbikes? I had considered that and ruled it out, because it is not illegal to bring in motorbikes obviously since the guard did not check his bike.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
5,146 Posts

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
The problem with these questions is that thinking "outside the box" sometimes presents so many possibilities that the problem is impossible to solve without guessing.

A boat has a ladder that’s ten feet long, and hangs off the side of the boat, with its last two feet submerged in water. If the ocean tide rises five feet, how much of the ladder will be underwater?
The question doesn't indicate whether the ladder or the boat are in the ocean. For all I know, the boat is on land with the end of the ladder sitting in a bucket of water, totally unaffected by the rising tide.

And the wording is often ambiguous:

There are ten birds perched on a fence. A farmer aims his rifle and shoots one. How many birds are left?
What does "left" mean? Still alive? Still on the fence?

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
@Anon Pervathon Yeah but like... if you get it, you know you've gotten it. Part of figuring out the problem is figuring out what trick was intended.
Not really. I've "figured out" multiple solutions to these types of problems, including the intended answer. "Figuring out" a single answer is sometimes just "assuming."

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
7/7 total joke of a test.
Gonna try the one Sensational linked now.

I read Ne is supposedly associated with lateral thinking but I tore that shit up, immediate response was right every time. Took about 2 minutes.

edit: motorbikes an daytime. fucksakes.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Not really. I've "figured out" multiple solutions to these types of problems, including the intended answer. "Figuring out" a single answer is sometimes just "assuming."
Hmm, I'm not sure I agree. Most of the questions have probably infinite possible answers, but they also have one singularly clever answer that you know is the intended one as soon as you get it. It's not strictly logic after all; it's also a problem of communication and human nature (what people intend to assume/ how people think). If you can intuit what would tend to trip people up because of some common error in interpretation, and therefore find out what the intended trick is, you've solved the problem.

take this one for example:

A black man dressed all in black, wearing a black mask, stands at a crossroads in a totally black-painted town. All of the streetlights in town are broken. There is no moon. A black-painted car without headlights drives straight toward him, but turns in time and doesn't hit him. How did the driver know to swerve?
You could think of many possible solutions... "he has a program in his car that detects people standing in the road and automatically alerts the driver". That would be a perfectly logical solution... after all, the problem doesn't explicitly say it's daytime, so it could potentially actually be night time and the only reason the driver knew to swerve was because of his program.

However, if that's your final answer, you haven't really figured out the problem. The answer is of course that it's daytime and many people don't get that, because they interpret the overall tone of the paragraph rather than the literal meaning of the words. That's a common error in communication and the intended trick. To solve the problems, you have to use both your powers of logical analysis to interpret the literal meaning of the words, but also your knowledge of language and human behavior to get the intended trick.

It's not enough to just to think of any solution.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,040 Posts
I missed the first question because...

I reasoned that a person could fall out of the door of the first floor. I wasn't thinking that he/she might have to fall out of a window, so I think I might have technically gotten it right? I borrowed a memory of a bizarre story when a person I knew got into a fight with someone, attempted to punch them, and then drunkenly fell "out of" the bar into a police officer (that's the way my brother worded it when he relayed the story as he was there).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts