Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically, if you can, then you can potentially tell a sociopath. On narcissists, I get the feeling of chronic staleness, like they present a line of afterthoughts when speaking. It sounds rehearsed, even if they're truthful, which vexes the hell outta me because it makes little sense. If I weren't convinced I'd spent my lifetime with one, I'd likely take their affect for granted. Luckily, alarms always go off when I meet certain people.

I may notice NPD better in Intuition preferrers. I'm more used to that 'flavor' of narcissism than one of Sensation: I don't think I've knowingly analyzed both kinds yet. I would think it's more or less similar, but I don't have the data.

1 note: pathologies are simply consequences, so no point in shaming them. What's important is preventing what will inconvenience you. Maybe this thread will be useful.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
Hm... I don't think I'm stellar at spotting either right off the bat, and it's somewhat inherently confounding because it's a spectrum, not binary. Some people are quite obvious narcissists, and some present their sociopathic tendencies when confronted with emotionally distressing events (but even that's confusing; I'm not a socio, but I apparently come across as coldly mechanical/uncaring when I've just emotionally shut down from stress and overload).

There are covert narcissists, which can be mistaken for a sensitive introvert (as they are very sensitive -- to criticism). And a sociopath is by definition not easy to notice because some of them can fake emotions quite well in a group setting.

But you're right that for all ASP/NPD there is a strange synthetic quality to their emotional displays and behavior - and it does give the impression of being well-rehearsed even when apparently spontaneous. For ASP at least, a dead giveaway is in the eyes - they look... off. I'd describe it as a piercing, yet machinelike or perhaps predatory look, and a certain lifelessness to it. It's very disconcerting and I can't look those types in the eyes sometimes; I just feel viscerally frightened. Narcs don't really have this (in my experience), though their behavior at least makes it easier. Even seemingly modest behavior can be calculated to create a certain effect or impression on others.

I'm not sure if any of that's helpful though; it kinda seems like one of those things you just have to get a feel for. There was a really informative thread a while back on how to spot a sociopath.

And I agree, yes, that there's no point in shaming them, but that it's good to know these things for personal protection.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For ASP at least, a dead giveaway is in the eyes - they look... off. I'd describe it as a piercing, yet machinelike or perhaps predatory look, and a certain lifelessness to it. It's very disconcerting and I can't look those types in the eyes sometimes; I just feel viscerally frightened.
Wanted to close in on this for a moment. I was creeped out once when I went to a Waffle House. While leaving this person was staring at me, seemingly unprovoked. I'd describe it similarly to how you described a sociopath's stare. At that moment I wondered myself if this person was antisocial. I remember thinking something was unusual and off about him. Even your reaction mirrors mine from that night. First time experiencing that feeling from a person. Just...ugh.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
Well I had a model one in my household growing up. I might have slightly better shot at picking them than some people but I wouldn't say I'm an expert.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Wanted to close in on this for a moment. I was creeped out once when I went to a Waffle House. While leaving this person was staring at me, seemingly unprovoked. I'd describe it similarly to how you described a sociopath's stare. At that moment I wondered myself if this person was antisocial. I remember thinking something was unusual and off about him. Even your reaction mirrors mine from that night. First time experiencing that feeling from a person. Just...ugh.
Maybe it was just a person with autism spectrum disorder? They tend to either avoid eye contact completely or stare long and hard... and have this "the lights are on but no one's home" look.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
A Narcissist? Well, for me, it's not the narcissist but the narcissist's codependent partner who's the real giveaway to pathology.

A couple, where one is superficially charming, and the other is shy, retiring, but says some pointedly nasty shit when they get comfortable? When the superficially charming one gives the other one a LOOK and the other reacts? That I'm familiar with.

Not so much with the other stuff- but probably because I avoid long interactions with anyone who doesn't feel comfortable to be around.

·
Registered
26,000 Posts
Typically, if you can, then you can potentially tell a sociopath. On narcissists, I get the feeling of chronic staleness, like they present a line of afterthoughts when speaking. It sounds rehearsed, even if they're truthful...
I see you.

:th_wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.