Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recognizing that someone has to take the official test and that this is "just for fun," let's start a thread where people can volunteer a description of someone and others try to type that person. It's alright to ask questions.

I'll go first. I'm not sure what type my Dad is. He is probably an extrovert. He was in sales and needed no invitation to speak. He likes parties and socialized regularly. He won't hesitate to be the center of attention. He will tell jokes and act silly to get attention.

He also cares about what other people think. He cares about status and prestige and thinks that dr. or lawyer is a proper career. Artists are weirdos.

One of his favorite phrases is "don't study about it."

He doesn't talk about emotion much. But every now and then, he likes to say "this is a happy family." And he'll send a nonsense email that he signs "lots of love." The only time I ever saw him cry was when he got the news that his mother was dead. He retreated to his room after that.

He does not like to hear about other people's illnesses or to be troubled with them. He thinks everyone is a hypochondriac. He did not go to the hospital when I was born or any other time that I have had surgery.

He does not hold more than a one minute conversation on the telephone.

He is prejudiced and will make a prejudiced remark without examining it or thinking twice about it. If someone criticizes him for being sexist or prejudiced, he externalizes. He shifts onto the criticizer in an ad hominem attack. Like "don't be a hairy-armed feminist."

He follows a rigorous routine every day. He even has a routine for his gardening and cooking.

He is always early.

He is impatient.

He is almost OCD about cleaning.

He's totally into his dogs and he trains them for bird dog field trials.

He is an atheist and thinks anything supernatural is for weirdos. He doesn't like to read or watch anything that is fantasy.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I agree. Sounds much more like an ESTJ than any other type.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I was leaning towards. Who else has one?

Or I could submit another. I have a hunch on this one---my mom. I know she's got to be an I and a J.

She loves to talk about planning and organizing and to criticize others for the lack of it. She makes a lot of value judgment about things. For instance, the neighbors have made "the wrong" landscaping choice.

She does not like social functions. She says that when you get old you don't need friends. She doesn't understand why anyone would want a facebook profile except to spy on other people. She is horrified when my father and I call attention to ourselves. She can't understand why I would want to live with other people.

She does splitting--- I don't know whether that's a personality type thing or just a disorder. So she'll say I'm the most wonderful, giving, smart, beautiful person. But then if we are on the outs, I am the most horrible, hateful, selfish, evil child (39 y.o. child).

She does often rely on hunches, but they are so far out in left field. So if I'm fussing with my roommates, she'll start to worry that they are going to steal my diamond. Or I was dating a guy, and she ran an internet search on him. Because he likes weight lifting and went as a zombie for Halloween, she decided that he was into S&M and was gong to be violent. The guy turned out to be wrong for me, but he was the sweetest most giving guy and did not have a violent bone in his body. In general, she will say that she has just such a bad feeling about this or that.

She will give empathy sometimes to draw me out, particularly if she does relate to what I'm talking about. But later when she's angry, she'll use what she learned against me.

Although she is capable of empathy at times, at other times, she will be sharply critical when I express emotion. She believes that I should just keep those to myself. And she thinks something is wrong with me because I am so emotional (no I'm just an ENFJ).

She's not the touchy-feely type. In fact, she has said that she thinks kissing on the mouth is gross. In 40 years of marriage, she has not kissed my father on the mouth.

She has a low-self-esteem and is narcissistic.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
That's what I was leaning towards. Who else has one?

Or I could submit another. I have a hunch on this one---my mom. I know she's got to be an I and a J.

She loves to talk about planning and organizing and to criticize others for the lack of it. She makes a lot of value judgment about things. For instance, the neighbors have made "the wrong" landscaping choice.

She does not like social functions. She says that when you get old you don't need friends. She doesn't understand why anyone would want a facebook profile except to spy on other people. She is horrified when my father and I call attention to ourselves. She can't understand why I would want to live with other people.

She does splitting--- I don't know whether that's a personality type thing or just a disorder. So she'll say I'm the most wonderful, giving, smart, beautiful person. But then if we are on the outs, I am the most horrible, hateful, selfish, evil child (39 y.o. child).

She does often rely on hunches, but they are so far out in left field. So if I'm fussing with my roommates, she'll start to worry that they are going to steal my diamond. Or I was dating a guy, and she ran an internet search on him. Because he likes weight lifting and went as a zombie for Halloween, she decided that he was into S&M and was gong to be violent. The guy turned out to be wrong for me, but he was the sweetest most giving guy and did not have a violent bone in his body. In general, she will say that she has just such a bad feeling about this or that.

She will give empathy sometimes to draw me out, particularly if she does relate to what I'm talking about. But later when she's angry, she'll use what she learned against me.

Although she is capable of empathy at times, at other times, she will be sharply critical when I express emotion. She believes that I should just keep those to myself. And she thinks something is wrong with me because I am so emotional (no I'm just an ENFJ).

She's not the touchy-feely type. In fact, she has said that she thinks kissing on the mouth is gross. In 40 years of marriage, she has not kissed my father on the mouth.
Definitely either ISFJ or ISTJ. Kind of hard to choose between the two, and they're pretty similar anyway because they both have dominant Si. Especially the part about you saying she'll use what she's learned against you...ISJ's can do that with their dominant Si.

It's a tough call between those two, but if I had to say, I'd say ISFJ. Sounds like some unhealthy behaviors from what you're describing, though.

Reactions: Seeker

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I agree that he is ESTJ, seeker. He sounds like my ISTJ dad, but extraverted.

I have no clue what your mom is.

Will someone type this guy for me?
-Talks a lot to everyone
-Very extraverted
-Spiritual, but not very religious. I don't believe in God, and he hasn't told me I'm going to hell.
-Unreliable (doesn't show up when he says he will, doesn't return a call when he says he will, etc.)
-Writes poetry, composes songs, talks about his dreams.
-Isn't afraid to show feelings
-He seems happy, but his poetry is dark.
-Has odd ideas. Appreciates weirdness and creativity.
-Experiments with drugs. Drinks a lot. He's never high or drunk when I see him, though.
-Seems very comfortable with himself and doesn't seem to judge others much.
-Overuses the word "love" and tends to fall for girls easily.
-Doesn't care much about consequences. He does what he wants.
-It seems like he likes to learn, but he doesn't do that well in school and sometimes skips.
-Sometimes I get the feeling that he tells me what I want to hear even if it's not true.

I was thinking ENFP, but I just started getting into this typology stuff a few days ago, so I'm probably wrong.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I agree that he is ESTJ, seeker. He sounds like my ISTJ dad, but extraverted.

I have no clue what your mom is.

-Talks a lot to everyone
-Very extraverted
-Spiritual, but not very religious. I don't believe in God, and he hasn't told me I'm going to hell.
-Unreliable (doesn't show up when he says he will, doesn't return a call when he says he will, etc.)
-Experiments with drugs. Drinks a lot. He's never high or drunk when I see him, though.
-It seems like he likes to learn, but he doesn't do that well in school and sometimes skips.
-Sometimes I get the feeling that he tells me what I want to hear even if it's not true.

I was thinking ENFP, but I just started getting into this typology stuff a few days ago, so I'm probably wrong.
I agree, sounds very much like an ENFP to me.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-Talks a lot to everyone
-Very extraverted

Not sure on the N or S. But sounds like ExFP?

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like some unhealthy behaviors from what you're describing, though.
Uh, yeah. I've been through 10 years of therapy for it. I've gotten a fairly good handle on coping with her, but it still is a challenge. I think those behaviors make it somewhat difficult to type her. They're not so much a type as they are a disorder or disturbance that will simply inflate the dark or undeveloped side of whatever type she is.

Funny though, I've been wondering whether she is an INTJ. I've had a lot of INTJ boyfriends---and you know what they say--- you marry your parents. I've noticed some similarities between her and them. But again, the whole abusiveness thing is a fly in the ointment when typing. She does seem to rely on intuition. It's just not good intuition. Do INTJ's have good intuition?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Easy as pie

E I

S N

F T

P J

SO

E-likes to social doesn't like to fundle around without purpose in his words

S-Inutiion requires fiddling with the what ifs? He is sure of himself, no need for such questions

T-Constistent thought flow is rooted in his youth so much so that change isn't much of an appeal unless it benefits him in situations where not alot of words can or should be used

P-his firm beliefs are so unyielding for those that don't concern him unless it is family and friends

JUST MY TID BITS :)

Reactions: ImNoTJustletters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts