Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The test typed me as INTP, but we all know how reliable tests are. I know there's a thread (sort of) like this a little farther down, but it's at 10 pages and I kind of want my own. I'm feeling special right now.

I tend to flip flop depending on how I'm feeling at that particular moment. Sometimes I want to talk to everyone and sometimes I can't be bothered with anyone. I love my time to myself to research and broaden my horizons, but I get bored after a while and I start texting people to see if they want to go to the bar or something.

I don't care for groups, usually a party of three is the way to go for me. However, if I am with a few of my friends, I like to be in a populated environment where the background chatter is merely just white noise. I like the feeling of "being out around people" without interacting with really any of them. Once other people start coming in, I get annoyed. I don't like socializing with people until I know their wavelength. I just don't care enough.

I tend to not tell people what I think of them because I'd rather come off as kind than an asshole. I work in a professional job so that professionalism carries over into the real world. However, I can get a bit overboard with burns, I can be very quick witted when I want to be.

I feel like I talk too much around my friends, and I usually have to tell myself "dude, calm down. talk less, listen more". Jut an example, this entire post would be something I would say before anyone else spoke. The other day I actually met one of my buddies friends that I had never met before and I asked my buddy later the next day what his friend said about me and he said "he said you were cool, but can see you getting annoying fast". They are both INTPs.

So...yeah, I have no idea what the hell I am. I care about what people think of me, and I tend to worry about a lot of things. I feel completely worthless (well, not really) around A type jocks and meat heads, since I tend to have nothing in common with them and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Before you say I'm an "F", let me just say that I cannot remember the last time I made a decision based on emotion. I may have a good amount of introverted F, but the actual decisions I make are all based on logic. Emotions are a huge weakness when making decisions.

Help me, please, my personality depends on it.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
@mninp the reason why I'd say you're ENTP is actually because of your openness in coming on here to ask about this.

This may not be welcome, cos I'm not even ENTP, but that is what I gather.

As in, what I gather is that you are going *outside of yourself* to gather IN new information, and this feels like the kind of energy ENTPs work with.

I'm not saying that you are, but just telling you my observations so you can factor that perspective into your account.

And just remember that all ENTPs won't behave the same in social interactions, so if you prefer small groups, you could still be ENTP!

Hope I haven't crushed any toes by throwing in this perspective. (I'm also just practising conveying my point in more succinct ways than I usually do :p)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're fine. I appreciate the info, though. I think you're right, because (here's a short story) about a week ago I was at the bar with some friends. We met this guy who said he was going to another bar in a few days. I asked him what bar it was and he told me. Then I said. "hey, give me your number and we'll meet up". Granted I was buzzed by this point, but I wouldn't have said it any differently in a normal situation. About 10 minutes later my friend said "dude, I would have never said that...that's just not me". I didn't think it was a big deal.

Here's the thing. I know I'm more socially interactive than any of my friends (I only have like 4 friends and 3 of them are INTPs, one of them is an ISTP). However, I still don't like people all that much. I mean, if I feel COMFORTABLE around you and I know you're not gonna be a social jack ass, we'll talk all day. But I tend to avoid parties because more than likely I'm not going to like some of the people there and it's just more of a headache than anything. Also it's very "one note" to me. Parties aren't very interesting to me, extroverted or not.

I guess you can compare my social attitude with Jerry Seinfeld (in the show, I don't know about real life). He doesn't like being around people, but he deals with it and makes the best of it. Granted, he's much more quick witted and charming than I am (as far as I know) but I'm not as much of an asshole as him either.

·
Registered
962 Posts
You sound like an ENTP to me. You seem to be a bit more bubbly than an INTP (just by the way you talk). Also, you remind me of an ENTP friend of mine, more than my INTP friend. I'd say ENTP. (Yay! You guys seem to be fairly uncommon, so it's always nice to run into another one of you!)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the response. I think having life experience with all types of people just makes me not really give a shit anymore. I know for a 100% fact that I was an INTP in high school, but I think going through life a bit turned me into an ENTP. I seem to go through phases. One minute I won't be talking to anyone and will have no desire to, the next I'll be talking to a bunch of people. But I do have a burning desire to share my thoughts with as many people that will listen. The only problem is I'm picky with whom I chose to become friends with. I'm not a mean person, so I won't ever really say "I don't like you"...that doesn't seem logical to me. But I will give the hint.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah yeah, shut up and take a seat. You belong here. :tongue:

Reactions: mninp

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hate to be contrarian (actually no I don't) but I was actually thinking INTP.

You predicated most of your "E" evidence with the phrase, "when I'm with my friends" or something similar.

E traits are inadmissible as evidence in ENTP court if they live in the when you're with your friends category.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Take the enneagram test. It helped me understand the relations of my E and I side. You are probably just pretty much balanced in Ne-Ti.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I hate to be contrarian (actually no I don't) but I was actually thinking INTP.

You predicated most of your "E" evidence with the phrase, "when I'm with my friends" or something similar.

E traits are inadmissible as evidence in ENTP court if they live in the when you're with your friends category.
I have an INTP son and I would agree completely. He is pretty outgoing when he is comfortable and with friends. He also cannot shut up when he is with me or good friends, honestly, because I think Introverts save up what they are thinking all day until they are with people they trust. Me, being an Extrovert tends actually to be quieter when I am with really good friends (ones I see regularly, like my husband-if it's been a while or alcohol is present, that's another story) because I have been talking all day and don't need to get out something that happened earlier in the day because I already dealt with it. Also, being mostly friends with Introverts, they usually are less comfortable being completely alone than an ENTP. They don't want to go to a party, but they prefer to be around one or two people who they are comfortable or good friends rather than do things alone. An ENTP, if they are doing something interesting and they don't have anyone else who as interested in it, would prefer to be alone than be with someone who is not interested.

You really are on the cusp, but I would guess probably INTP but barely. It is hard to decide since ENTPs are one of the most Introverted Extroverts so it is deceiving. My main question is this: when you have to give a presentation or stand up in front of people to discuss something you are pretty confident in your knowledge, are you nervous before and relieved and exhausted when it is done or are you more excited than nervous before and adrenaline pumped after? Also, weeding out those really imbalanced people on here, which forum seems to call to you after hearing the discussions?

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are such things as a ambivert - a person whose personality has a balance of extrovert and introvert features. Most people lean one way or another. If you don't know, just wait for it to fully answer itself and decide that you are an ambivert for now.

Reactions: Geonerd

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an INTP son and I would agree completely. He is pretty outgoing when he is comfortable and with friends. He also cannot shut up when he is with me or good friends, honestly, because I think Introverts save up what they are thinking all day until they are with people they trust. Me, being an Extrovert tends actually to be quieter when I am with really good friends (ones I see regularly, like my husband-if it's been a while or alcohol is present, that's another story) because I have been talking all day and don't need to get out something that happened earlier in the day because I already dealt with it. Also, being mostly friends with Introverts, they usually are less comfortable being completely alone than an ENTP. They don't want to go to a party, but they prefer to be around one or two people who they are comfortable or good friends rather than do things alone. An ENTP, if they are doing something interesting and they don't have anyone else who as interested in it, would prefer to be alone than be with someone who is not interested.

You really are on the cusp, but I would guess probably INTP but barely. It is hard to decide since ENTPs are one of the most Introverted Extroverts so it is deceiving. My main question is this: when you have to give a presentation or stand up in front of people to discuss something you are pretty confident in your knowledge, are you nervous before and relieved and exhausted when it is done or are you more excited than nervous before and adrenaline pumped after? Also, weeding out those really imbalanced people on here, which forum seems to call to you after hearing the discussions?
Here's the thing. I have General Anxiety Disorder. Not diagnosed, but I know I have it. I worry about everything with no logic behind any of it. I recently took a public speaking class. I'm nervous before every speech, but once I'm up there I'm usually fine. My friends told me I didn't seem nervous at all. If I know the subject matter, I can talk in front of a group for hours (despite how nervous I am beforehand). If I don't know what I'm about to talk about...yeah, that's bad for me. Overall, I was one of the better speakers in the class by far. There was this one guy who shook like crazy and I had the greatest secondhand embarrassment I have ever had in my life. I couldn't even look at him.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You sound like an ENTP to me. You seem to be a bit more bubbly than an INTP (just by the way you talk). Also, you remind me of an ENTP friend of mine, more than my INTP friend. I'd say ENTP. (Yay! You guys seem to be fairly uncommon, so it's always nice to run into another one of you!)
What about those effects, m8? Are you trying to seduce someone?

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
The test typed me as INTP, but we all know how reliable tests are. I know there's a thread (sort of) like this a little farther down, but it's at 10 pages and I kind of want my own. I'm feeling special right now.

I tend to flip flop depending on how I'm feeling at that particular moment. Sometimes I want to talk to everyone and sometimes I can't be bothered with anyone. I love my time to myself to research and broaden my horizons, but I get bored after a while and I start texting people to see if they want to go to the bar or something.

I don't care for groups, usually a party of three is the way to go for me. However, if I am with a few of my friends, I like to be in a populated environment where the background chatter is merely just white noise. I like the feeling of "being out around people" without interacting with really any of them. Once other people start coming in, I get annoyed. I don't like socializing with people until I know their wavelength. I just don't care enough.

I tend to not tell people what I think of them because I'd rather come off as kind than an asshole. I work in a professional job so that professionalism carries over into the real world. However, I can get a bit overboard with burns, I can be very quick witted when I want to be.

I feel like I talk too much around my friends, and I usually have to tell myself "dude, calm down. talk less, listen more". Jut an example, this entire post would be something I would say before anyone else spoke. The other day I actually met one of my buddies friends that I had never met before and I asked my buddy later the next day what his friend said about me and he said "he said you were cool, but can see you getting annoying fast". They are both INTPs.

So...yeah, I have no idea what the hell I am. I care about what people think of me, and I tend to worry about a lot of things. I feel completely worthless (well, not really) around A type jocks and meat heads, since I tend to have nothing in common with them and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Before you say I'm an "F", let me just say that I cannot remember the last time I made a decision based on emotion. I may have a good amount of introverted F, but the actual decisions I make are all based on logic. Emotions are a huge weakness when making decisions.

Help me, please, my personality depends on it.
Introspection is fuzzy and biased. Don't listen to anything anyone says here, because it always includes introspection. Join me, and let's be enlightened together. And we shall observe the blind masses, and we shall laugh and laugh and laugh...
Untitled Document

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You are INTP, I believe. Sorry to be blunt but I think the test got it right (did you take the one I have in my sig?) when you said you don't care for groups, and you are annoyed with strangers, you only enjoy being with friends that you know, I don't think that's an Extrovert trait.

Just because you are an Introvert, does not mean you won't feel bored, or don't want to go out and talk to people. Introverts can be amazing at hanging out too. But what kind of people? Friends? Strangers? Small groups? Big groups?

So, don't misunderstand that Introverts are actually very good at talking too, especially with friends (rather than strangers). Introverts aren't all loners with no friends and can't talk good.

At a party of a lot of strangers, do you enjoy get up and get on the dance floor, or do you always prefer sit and talk?

I think these determines whether you are Extrovert or Introvert.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are INTP, I believe. Sorry to be blunt but I think the test got it right (did you take the one I have in my sig?) when you said you don't care for groups, and you are annoyed with strangers, you only enjoy being with friends that you know, I don't think that's an Extrovert trait.

Just because you are an Introvert, does not mean you won't feel bored, or don't want to go out and talk to people. Introverts can be amazing at hanging out too. But what kind of people? Friends? Strangers? Small groups? Big groups?

So, don't misunderstand that Introverts are actually very good at talking too, especially with friends (rather than strangers). Introverts aren't all loners with no friends and can't talk good.

At a party of a lot of strangers, do you enjoy get up and get on the dance floor, or do you always prefer sit and talk?

I think these determines whether you are Extrovert or Introvert.
It's strange. I am completely fine talking to strangers if the people I'm with don't judge me in the moment. Like I said I have anxiety at times and I also have low self esteem. That gets in the way occasionally. I don't like people because I'm always projecting my self esteem onto others. Not logical, I know, but it's a subconscious thing. When it comes to learning about people and meeting people, I'm fine as long as they don't make me uncomfortable. Stereotypical "bro" groups make me very uncomfortable and it frankly annoys me. I won't give them the time of day. My lack of confidence is the only real thing stopping me from going out on the dance floor. It's why I prefer small groups, I don't feel comfortable with myself. However, in my head, dancing like an idiot in front of strangers sounds like a blast.

So, to sum it all up, I think I'm an ENTP, but my anxiety and lack of confidence makes me seem more like an introvert.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts