Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, hope your all going great! I have been interested in Myers Briggs for some time but unsure what my type is. I have had entp a lot, estp entj quite confusing these are all the free online tests which could be the problem. I like to nail these things down and so would like a better idea.

To give some background. I got high yellow and red on the disc test I have competed for years in tough sports. I am often not good at planning on paper I get an idea of what I want to achieve and just go for it. I can be messy but It does bother me and I try to be organised with to do lists Im just not consistent at it.

I like to feel in control and I like a clean and tidy environment I just prefer someone else cleans and tidys it for me as I think the time can be better spent elsewhere.

Any idea how I can pinpoint my type.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hiiii Chris123~

Cognitive functions tend to give better insight.

Which sounds closest to your mental voice?

“I will achieve my goal by any means necessary.” -ENTJ

“I want to sample all of the experiences that are immediately available to me and see where those experiences lead me!” -ESTP

“I am swimming in an endless sea of possibilities about what to do/experience/think about next and I want to try them all.” -ENTP

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
From this short snippet, I would imagine ENTP to be the best fit.

E because well, all the choices you're between are E types.
N because you prefer to just go after an idea rather than craft the necessary S steps to get where you want.
T because all of the choices you listed are T types.
P because although you like to be in control and organised, you're too lazy to act on it, and you lack consistency with regards to to-do lists etc and you say you're not good at planning on paper.

There's really not much information here, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response I really appreciate it. I was thinking sbout the options. I would say I often do whatever it takes to get things done in many respects as I am quite consistent when I'm focused on something. For example if I'm building a website I would be very focused on it and do whatever it takes to get it up asap.

I also enjoy experiences and often put myself in situations or go along to things just for the experience. For example backpacking around Australia.

I'm can be quite lazy at times but usually I can be really hard working and commited to a task usually at the last minute.

I do a to do list most days and make a plan which I enjoy doing but I usually forget about it by the end of the day and just get on with tasks as I see them.

I go to the gym most days and am always reading a book and doing a course to better myself
Does that help?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
ENTP 3w4 . Your Ne just can never decide, why your Ti sees every reason to support it. Your Type three motivation always looks for something better then your own interpretation, and your type four wing just cannot stop focusing on your own character .

Notice that you never followed the questionnaire?

but anyway, the Ne clearly is seen jumping from one external association (one related to external reality/world), all of a sudden, your focus goes from introducing yourself, to talking about “ENTPs ENTJs,“ to “a disc test” to how organised you are with lists, to “keeping a clean and tidy environment” . Wait what were we talking about again? Can you care to explain where we started?

Ti seeks to apply reasons and logical al premises to form an internal subjective world , related to what we see out in the world, or in our relationships with people or our work, (or anything else),and this can be seen in how you used all such associations “disc test”, “high school sport”, etc , as reasons to justify the conclusion or hypothesis that you are most likely one type or the other. This orientation, is simply called inductive reasoning, but ENTPs (alongside) INTPs use it to organise their perception of the entire world.

enneagram is based on psychological needs or drives, for certain things. In this case, we have a drive for improvement , much like a type three, you attach a lot of significance to this, as you say going to the gym and reading books on how to “improve” must be somehow psychologically significant to yourself. The w4 wing is seen in the longing for identity, and a firm sense of identity, and th breakdown of the defective attitude, “There must be something with me!”, if you do not acheive that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your response that's very interesting. I notice a lot of other people having a similar situation getting both entp and estp in online tests, I presume this is situational and dependent on mood. So you are confident I am an entp 3w4?

Many thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not convinced that I am an entp I actually think I am more entj. I have done several tests now each come out entj I am a very extroverted thinker as well always involving others in decisions and getting opinions. is that not an entj trait? The reason I want to know is to be more efficient and effective in business. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't to be honest. it's never came up in a myres Briggs test. I did the disc test and got very high red at 80, and very high yellow at 70.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmm, well, I'm definitely getting ExTx vibes from you, but there's not quite enough information here for me to really tell. There's a really good article about identifying types- maybe it'll help? I'll copy and paste some info below. (Sorry for the lengthy post.)

A few people in the thread have recommended looking at functions...I agree. Here's some more insight:

ENTJ and ESTJ are Extraverted Thinking (Te) types. They may act like this:
"-Extroverted thinking types are extremely goal oriented. They will usually ask you about your own goals, either subtly or overtly.
-They enjoy talking about plans they have and the expected outcomes of those plans.
-If you go to a Te user with a problem, they will immediately jump to solving it as quickly and effectively as possible.
-Te users are bothered by inefficiency and strongly dislike people being late or veering off topic if there’s work to be done.
-Dominant Te types may come across as bossy or know-it-all-ish, even when they genuinely mean well.
-They will always argue from a results-based, purely practical standpoint.
-These types usually advocate for staying organized, setting goals and making whatever choice will glean the best outcomes."

The difference between the ENTJ and ESTJ is indicated by the auxilary function. ENTJs have Ni as their auxilary, so they may seem like this:
"-Everything an Ni dominant type does is deliberate. You will likely get the sense that they have carefully (but covertly) planned out their actions and words.
-They may ask many questions in conversation, but questions tend to be open-ended. I.e. “Can you tell me more about that,” As opposed to, “When did that happen?”
-They prefer sticking to one topic of conversation but may feel the need to ‘explain around’ the topic if they are unable to convey the essence of it concisely.
-Ni dominant types usually pause to fully take in and consider what you have said in conversation before replying.
-They may also return to a topic of conversation weeks after you’ve had it, having processed and analyzed what you’ve said more fully.
-They enjoy talking about future possibilities in a linear fashion.
-These types have a lot of ‘epiphanies’ or ‘realizations.’
-Ni dominant types often give off a stoic or “Zen” vibe.
-These types usually advocate for thinking through your options carefully, optimizing your experiences and keeping your long-term objectives in mind at all times."

In comparison, ESTJs would act more like this:
"-Si users have excellent memories when it comes to specific facts and occurrences and will usually remember things you’ve mentioned only in passing.
-They are incredibly detail-oriented and usually ask for specific clarifications in conversation (I.e. “Where did you meet up? What day?”)
-They are uncomfortable with the ambiguous and in conversation, they prefer relaying relevant facts to speculating. I.e. when discussing possibilities for the future, they will point out what has happened in a similar situation in the past.
-They enjoy having things planned out in a predictable fashion.
-Si users tend to place a higher value on tradition, social conventions and status than other types.
-These types usually advocate for using the tried and true method, referencing the facts that already exist on the matter and assuming that the future will resemble the past."

ENTPs are an entirely different story. Their primary function is Ne:
"-Ne dominant types experience bursts of high energy, followed by periods of reclusion.
-They are quick-witted and gain energy through debating ideas.
-They enjoy discussing possibilities above all else.
-They want to explore every side of a given situation and may be more prone to playing ‘devil’s advocate’ than other types.
-They tend to jump from topic to topic with ease and enthusiasm.
-They may directly contradict themselves multiple times while speaking.
-They enjoy using metaphors to explain things – their metaphors are prone to gaining complexity as they speak, which excites the Ne user.
-Ne dominant types bore quickly and almost always have a new project on the go.
-These types usually advocate for keeping your options open, exploring all possibilities and taking an unconventional approach to solving problems."
And Ti is their auxilary function.

Unfortunately I can't link you to a source as I'm a newer member, but google any of the sentences in quotes and the article should come up.

In summary:
The types that you're debating are very different. You need to find out whether you're Ti or Te, whether you're Ni or Ne. Here are some questions to ask yourself:
Am I goal oriented or idea focused? Is it more important for me to complete my task or more important for me to logically understand all aspects of my project?
Do I see the big picture or see small details? Do I produce lots of ideas or do I use one big idea to summarize lots of smaller ones?

Hopefully these will help you distinguish between types...good luck! Let me know if you have more questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts