Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often feel like I'm very borderline in terms of many of the personalities. I know no one ever fits anything perfectly because really...you use a variety of functions etc. in a day that don't all necessarily belong to one *type*.

So most quizzes I get ISFP. Sometimes INFP. Sometimes other things.

Thing is...I internalise EVERYTHING, and my outward personality and decision making is kinda different to what it is on the inside.

I'm 90% sure I'm an I - I get tired after spending time with people too much. Though admittedly, I get very energetic around my friends. When they go though I'm all of a sudden exhausted. Also whilst hanging with people I don't know I'm always exhausted. So yeah.

S and N are my biggest problem I think. I relate to both. Some days I go more one way than the other but it really depends and I can't figure out which one I use more.

I'm pretty sure I'm an F. It's hard to tell because on the "inside" I'm definitely an F but some people (my mother) seem to think I'm not very empathetic and caring of people. That's probably cause i'm awful at showing my emotions. I hide everything so I guess it's hard for people to see me properly.

P and J. Again it is different on the inside to the outside. When I'm with people, I appear really laid back etc. Thing is...I get VERY nervous if I'm on my own and have to do something I haven't planned or prepared for. But only if it's something outside of me. e.g. I can't follow a study timetable because I get distracted/bored, and yet if I'm out with my parents and they spontaneously decide to do something different I freak out.

So...yeah.

In terms of functions, I'm fairly confident I use Fi a lot. Apart from that...I really don't know.

Any advice would be helpful. I don't really mind not knowing but sitting on the fence can get annoying at times.

Thank you!

·
Faceless
7,169 Posts
Could you fill out a questionnaire? When you do, I'll do a play by play.

Also have you looked into Jung's cognitive functions a bit or taken a cog functions test?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you fill out a questionnaire? When you do, I'll do a play by play.

Also have you looked into Jung's cognitive functions a bit or taken a cog functions test?
I've read a bit about the functions but I wouldn't say I know heaps about it. Just the basics.

I'll do the questionnaire now thank you :)

Reactions: Helios

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Um...I'm on holidays. Spending a lot of time all over the place so a bit busy and irritated that I can't sit around and do nothing lol. Also a little stressed about the future...last term of school ever and having applied for Uni, a little worried I've made the wrong decision...even after months of trying to figure something out. I'm female, just turned 17 (though extremely immature) and current state of mind...um...tired/apathetic/bored etc.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

First impression: nice photo!

I love the colours. The way the purple contrasts with the bee and the green behind it. I'm fascinated by the picture quality because it looks pretty good to me. Um...yeah. I don't really know what else to say. I find it pretty to look at but I'm no artist. Photography is probably my favourite form of art. It's real. And yet I'm often drawn to "pretty" photography because it isn't what I see all the time and it's a different angle on something we know. It almost makes it some kind of fantasy because no one in their right mind gets that close to a bee with their eyes.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

I'd freak out really. The whole thought of missing my favourite band would consume me most likely. If it was my family, who I'm perfectly happy to scream at I'd probably start blaming everybody and trying to figure out how to get there, but not actually do anything. If it was my friends, I'd probably be quietly shaking and still trying to figure out how to get there and not doing anything. I might be close to tears because music really means a lot to me...as does my favourite band.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

Haha glad we made the concert. An afterparty would probably not be exciting to me. I'd really prefer to head home and just lie around and reflect on how great the concert was. Try to remember everything and subsequently forget it all.

I'd be unlikely to argue if they were really really keen, though if they weren't I'd try and get them to just leave. At the party I'd probably sit around with my friends. If they want to dance I'd be reluctant and try to stay sitting for as long as possible until I'm the only one of my group of friends left, by which time I would get up and sort of stand with them attempting to figure out how one actually dances. But yeah I'd prefer to sit somewhere quietly or talking with my good friends.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

Inwardly: debating it in my own mind. Disagree silently if it isn't someone I'm good friends with. While they talk I might try to figure out the best way to argue back.

Outwardly: I'd most likely argue. Subtly. I'm not keen on having huge arguments with people unless they're my relatives (I figure relatives can't hate you after you explode on them). But I'd question why they think that and try to get them to believe me. This is assuming they are a good friend. If it's just an acquaintance I'd probably just sit quietly and disagree silently.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I'd probably be really confused. I'd probably sit around and dwell over it...overthink it forever. When things clash with my beliefs I struggle. Because a strong part of me wants to believe what I believe. And it does. When things pop up though, I actually very rarely stray from my beliefs. Though that's cause most of the time it makes no sense.

Also I think that paragraph made no sense. Sorry. But yeah. I'd dwell and be confused, then probably forget when I'm distracted by something else.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Um...wow. I guess to me one of the most important things is staying true to yourself. Being yourself. (I think I'm an enneagram 4w5 if that helps). I don't understand why people want to change the way they are. I find society really irritating because of that.

My values are also centered on morality, but to me it all comes back to doing what YOU want and not what others want. I'm very judgmental in that respect...if I see people who appear to be not themselves. Who are like everyone else.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

a) I think my individuality. And my friends agree (I think). I hate going with the flow, and often if a lot of people are doing something that I used to do, I get kinda irritated. I tend to like doing my own thing, and hate it when I have to do something that I don't like/want to do. Being true to me.

b) I'd probably change...actually I dunno. Part of me wants to say my pessimism. I get really down a lot because I over-think EVERYTHING. And yet in some ways I like that about myself. It seems like a genuine thing. I don't understand how people don't dwell on things all the time and stuff. I guess I'd change how I can't show my feelings. Even though I do kinda like it.

I find it irritating sometimes because no one ever knows what I'm really thinking. Because no one sees the side of me that is really kinda sad and angry and confused. I'm the same person with other people, but I show different sides of myself.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I've never really had many hunches/gut feelings that I'm aware of. I guess I have them but I don't really see them as much. I suppose...when I applied for University courses. I don't THINK I'd be very good at psychology but I FEEL like it's something that I'd enjoy. It's a gut feeling and I'm following it even though I know it might not really be the best path. Same with a subject I chose at the beginning of the year. I know I'm not as good as the rest of my class, but I really enjoy it and I knew I would. Logically it probably wasn't a smart idea but I really wanted to do it and it felt right.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

Um...I tend to always be low on energy so this is kinda hard XD

a) I'm energised with my friends. I'm also energised when I'm on my own. I get really thrilled by playing music, and in particular when I write music. It makes me...I dunno if happy is even the right word because I'm not "happy" when I write a sad song. I can't explain it really.

b) I'm drained after I see my friends. I'm drained after a long day. Sport tires me because I'm so unfit. And I'm drained when I have to do things that I don't want to do. (Which is often).

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I guess I repress my true feelings. For example, I've been really hurt lately by some of my friends...but they don't know. Because I don't show them. I sort of want to cling to whatever friendship I have left and telling them how hurt I am isn't going to help. Also I couldn't ever explain it if I tried.

That sort of thing applies for everything. My true feelings about things/people are never shown because I don't know how to show them or how to not be rejected for it.

I also don't show my parents my true feelings. They think I'm lazy and don't think about anything that I suck at, and yet I dwell on it a lot. They just don't see.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I see Fi (introverted Feeling) from questions 5, 6, 7, 10; inferior Te in question 2. So I'd say IxFP. It depends then on auxiliary and tertiary functions; Se-Ni for ISFP or Ne-Si for INFP. I'm leaning towards ISFP, though, since your answer to question 1 seems a bit Se-ish.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@kasthu

That's what I'm thinking. But when I go through the ISFP forum, I feel really out of place with a lot of the very sensory stuff. But in the INFP forum I don't feel as out of place but still don't fit in totally. It's like I'm not S or N...which is really frustrating. I'm not very intune with my senses except perhaps those to do with music. I fit the N stereotypes more but stereotyping isn't a good way to type so... :S

·
Faceless
7,169 Posts
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Um...I'm on holidays. Spending a lot of time all over the place so a bit busy and irritated that I can't sit around and do nothing lol. Also a little stressed about the future...last term of school ever and having applied for Uni, a little worried I've made the wrong decision...even after months of trying to figure something out. I'm female, just turned 17 (though extremely immature) and current state of mind...um...tired/apathetic/bored etc.

Haha I'm 17 as well. I still have applications to finish sigh. I relate.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

First impression: nice photo!

I love the colours. The way the purple contrasts with the bee and the green behind it. I'm fascinated by the picture quality because it looks pretty good to me. Um...yeah. I don't really know what else to say. I find it pretty to look at but I'm no artist. Photography is probably my favourite form of art. It's real. And yet I'm often drawn to "pretty" photography because it isn't what I see all the time and it's a different angle on something we know. It almost makes it some kind of fantasy because no one in their right mind gets that close to a bee with their eyes.
It seems rather Se+Fi since you're focusing on what's in the photo and how it makes you feel.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

I'd freak out really. The whole thought of missing my favourite band would consume me most likely. If it was my family, who I'm perfectly happy to scream at I'd probably start blaming everybody and trying to figure out how to get there, but not actually do anything. If it was my friends, I'd probably be quietly shaking and still trying to figure out how to get there and not doing anything. I might be close to tears because music really means a lot to me...as does my favourite band.

Hmmmm. Seems to be indicative of a weaker preference for thinking and intuition. You seem more lost in the moment than anything which could signify Se usage, and the planning in a panic around family might be indicative of Te.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

Haha glad we made the concert. An afterparty would probably not be exciting to me. I'd really prefer to head home and just lie around and reflect on how great the concert was. Try to remember everything and subsequently forget it all.

I'd be unlikely to argue if they were really really keen, though if they weren't I'd try and get them to just leave. At the party I'd probably sit around with my friends. If they want to dance I'd be reluctant and try to stay sitting for as long as possible until I'm the only one of my group of friends left, by which time I would get up and sort of stand with them attempting to figure out how one actually dances. But yeah I'd prefer to sit somewhere quietly or talking with my good friends.
Could be indicative of more introversion over extroversion, though being around people doesn't seem very draining to you.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

Inwardly: debating it in my own mind. Disagree silently if it isn't someone I'm good friends with. While they talk I might try to figure out the best way to argue back.

Outwardly: I'd most likely argue. Subtly. I'm not keen on having huge arguments with people unless they're my relatives (I figure relatives can't hate you after you explode on them). But I'd question why they think that and try to get them to believe me. This is assuming they are a good friend. If it's just an acquaintance I'd probably just sit quietly and disagree silently.

You really like to make a good impression on your friends and strangers eh? Could be Fe, or enneagram from the image triad (2,3, or 4). It seems more Fe since you're seeking agreement. Some Fi users are less inclined to do that.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I'd probably be really confused. I'd probably sit around and dwell over it...overthink it forever. When things clash with my beliefs I struggle. Because a strong part of me wants to believe what I believe. And it does. When things pop up though, I actually very rarely stray from my beliefs. Though that's cause most of the time it makes no sense.

Also I think that paragraph made no sense. Sorry. But yeah. I'd dwell and be confused, then probably forget when I'm distracted by something else.
Ooh seems like conflict between dominant Fi and inferior Te.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Um...wow. I guess to me one of the most important things is staying true to yourself. Being yourself. (I think I'm an enneagram 4w5 if that helps). I don't understand why people want to change the way they are. I find society really irritating because of that.

My values are also centered on morality, but to me it all comes back to doing what YOU want and not what others want. I'm very judgmental in that respect...if I see people who appear to be not themselves. Who are like everyone else.
Hah I knew your ennegram had a hint of 4ishness to it. This smells a bit like Fi.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

a) I think my individuality. And my friends agree (I think). I hate going with the flow, and often if a lot of people are doing something that I used to do, I get kinda irritated. I tend to like doing my own thing, and hate it when I have to do something that I don't like/want to do. Being true to me.

b) I'd probably change...actually I dunno. Part of me wants to say my pessimism. I get really down a lot because I over-think EVERYTHING. And yet in some ways I like that about myself. It seems like a genuine thing. I don't understand how people don't dwell on things all the time and stuff. I guess I'd change how I can't show my feelings. Even though I do kinda like it.

I find it irritating sometimes because no one ever knows what I'm really thinking. Because no one sees the side of me that is really kinda sad and angry and confused. I'm the same person with other people, but I show different sides of myself.
How enneagram 4 of you. :p
Interesting.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I've never really had many hunches/gut feelings that I'm aware of. I guess I have them but I don't really see them as much. I suppose...when I applied for University courses. I don't THINK I'd be very good at psychology but I FEEL like it's something that I'd enjoy. It's a gut feeling and I'm following it even though I know it might not really be the best path. Same with a subject I chose at the beginning of the year. I know I'm not as good as the rest of my class, but I really enjoy it and I knew I would. Logically it probably wasn't a smart idea but I really wanted to do it and it felt right.

Seems indicative of a weaker preference for thinking and intuition.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

Um...I tend to always be low on energy so this is kinda hard XD

a) I'm energised with my friends. I'm also energised when I'm on my own. I get really thrilled by playing music, and in particular when I write music. It makes me...I dunno if happy is even the right word because I'm not "happy" when I write a sad song. I can't explain it really.

b) I'm drained after I see my friends. I'm drained after a long day. Sport tires me because I'm so unfit. And I'm drained when I have to do things that I don't want to do. (Which is often).

Oh aren't you such an ambivert? ;)
You seem to be focused on physical exhaustion moreso than mental, so you just might be a sensor.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I guess I repress my true feelings. For example, I've been really hurt lately by some of my friends...but they don't know. Because I don't show them. I sort of want to cling to whatever friendship I have left and telling them how hurt I am isn't going to help. Also I couldn't ever explain it if I tried.

That sort of thing applies for everything. My true feelings about things/people are never shown because I don't know how to show them or how to not be rejected for it.

I also don't show my parents my true feelings. They think I'm lazy and don't think about anything that I suck at, and yet I dwell on it a lot. They just don't see.
I think you're quite the feeler, love. You should really let them know or you're just going to feel worse.
You seem to only care about what the people you care about think of you quite a bit.

Okay well here are some possibilities:
  • You're most likely correctly typed as an ISFP, but that enneagram of yours might confuse you a bit.
  • You might be ESFP if you're really an extrovert, and ENFP if you're really an Ne user.
  • You might also be INFP if you're an Ne user and introverted.
  • Or some other possible type.

Any questions or comments? :happy:

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I'm going with the same.
ISFP.
Also, you spent your time describing the photo (Se) and not looking for a context which Ne would do.
I'd put INFP as second guess, but definitely leaning towards ISFP.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
@kasthu

That's what I'm thinking. But when I go through the ISFP forum, I feel really out of place with a lot of the very sensory stuff. But in the INFP forum I don't feel as out of place but still don't fit in totally. It's like I'm not S or N...which is really frustrating. I'm not very intune with my senses except perhaps those to do with music. I fit the N stereotypes more but stereotyping isn't a good way to type so... :S
These sub-forums are a bit of a mess with quite some mistypings because ISFPs are awesome.
And then a lot of people are just following ridiculous stereotypes (and quite a lot of them probably settled for ISFP because they agree with the stereotypes).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I have to resign myself to the fact that I don't fit it perfectly lol. But yeah.

ISFP is good. Just a lot of the really sensory stuff confuses me a bit. And the annoying stereotypes that sensors aren't imaginative etc. ISFP works. I sometimes think that maybe I just have underdeveloped Se or something lol XD. And the enneagram (which I think I'm right about) makes it more confusing XD

Thank you for all your help everyone. Unless anyone has another 2 cents to contribute then I guess that's good. :) thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts