Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else experience this? Why do you think? I find that I am not "on" until around 6 PM. I can function but I don't feel alive until around this time. I'm not lazy, I can work my ass off and be around lots of people, but earlier than that it is a drudgery to do either. Is there scientific basis for humans being crepuscular/nocturnal, or is it just some psychological hangup?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Ugh, me too.. no clue why. I'll just hang out and watch this thread along with you.

Reactions: rosegeranium

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
^ I was just going to recommend looking into Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder.

Since early childhood, my natural tendency has been to fall asleep between 5 - 8 AM and to wake up around 4 PM. I can adjust to a "normal" schedule if I need to, but like you, waking up in the morning leaves me very sluggish and tired until the early evening. Then it's time to party.

I have done the craziest things to fix it, never to any avail. Psychiatrist told me there was a such thing as humans being "nocturnal" and I practically fell out of my chair.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,568 Posts
There really is biological basis for some people, to be more nocturnal. l've had to fight my own body to resist it :crazy:

Seems to act up most in Spring and Summer for me, when it gets really bad, l will force myself to wake up at 5 AM util l get back on a regular schedule, just so l can exhaust my body enough throughout the day to be tired by evening.

·
Registered
421 Posts
There really is biological basis for some people, to be more nocturnal. l've had to fight my own body to resist it :crazy:

Seems to act up most in Spring and Summer for me, when it gets really bad, l will force myself to wake up at 5 AM util l get back on a regular schedule, just so l can exhaust my body enough throughout the day to be tired by evening.
I just drink coffee in the morning instead.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've checked out that Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder...I suppose that explains any abnormal sleep patterns, since human beings are presumed to be diurnal. That certainly is true if we have to do stuff during the day such as hunt or farm. I'm not sure I believe that it is possible for humans to be nocturnal, although the human race is still evolving, there is no doubt about it. So perhaps over time certain human groups will naturally adopt nocturnal lifestyles. The only problem is that we don't have night vision, so I suppose if some humans actually are nocturnal our evolution towards that is rather specific because we need a source of light at night whereas nocturnal animals need very little.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I would look into sleep cycles if I were you. But me being me, personally, I never would. Folks always tell me to, but to put it quite frankly, shit sounds boring.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would look into sleep cycles if I were you. But me being me, personally, I never would. Folks always tell me to, but to put it quite frankly, shit sounds boring.
What about polyphasic sleeping, ever tried that? I think that is maybe the best sleep cycle of all. Being as J as I am it conflicts with my need for schedules but I suppose that napping intermittently can become a schedule in itself once you've done it for a while. Personally I think people need to be more tolerant of nocturnal people or people with weird sleep schedules! If you are a farmer, then fine. But otherwise, lay off and let people sleep whenever they want so long as they come to work on time and are productive.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Yeah, same here. I look back at what I did in the morning and I have to remind myself that it wasn't yesterday that I did those things. Just a total zombie in the morning. I do some exercise and drink coffee to wake up, but it doesn't help that much.

·
Registered
INTP
1,738 Posts
Wowwww I logged into PerC today to ask something similar since I'm always at war with my sleep patterns. My dad thinks I'm lazy since I am so catatonic in the mornings... but I seriously can't wake up in mornings at all! In school, I could never pay attention to morning classes at all... or most classes... since I couldn't "wake up" until like 4pm or whatever, which was after school was out. I am most "awake" in the evening hours and at night while my preferred sleeping hours are 4am-noonish since I seriously function better with that sleeping rotation. I keep getting frustrated, though, trying to make it more of a "normal" sleep pattern so my dad wouldn't yell at me for sleeping in so late but it's just impossible to change it. I've tried SO MANY TIMES to fix it but I can only do it a week at most, but then I feel completely exhausted and unproductive, so I feel like I have no choice but to revert to the 4am-noon sleep cycle again or I will feel like shit.

I don't know when it started. Even as a kid, I remember enjoying being awake at night more often than my peers. Like at a sleepover, I'd be wanting to stay up later and do stuff even as my friends all wanted to sleep, even though it was only midnight!

Though one reason I suspect this happens to me is too much daylight gives me a headache and I get unhappy. It's just too bright for too long so I love the nighttime since it's dark and more calming for me. Daylight is nice but I can have too much of it, even if I'm indoors all day :/

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yeah I'm always like this.

But in extreme cases I used to actually sleep from somewhere between 7am-5pm. Even when I fixed my schedule, I still can't get to sleep early or feel 'alive' earlier than the evening.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts