Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one can work either by

1 accepting quite an amount of stress, use the stressful energy as a trigger or motivation. this working style requries some sort of excitement work quite physically. this type of working attitude can adjust to different situations that life throws at you but the result is dynamic but can be quite forceful / filled with noise.. physical, dynamic, fluid but can be shallow and not so refined. working with people is a big plus. high stress style.

2 managing, eliminating stress factors so tightly and in a refined controlled manner so that one manages to maximise his resources maintaining the the clear mentality, brain process so that the mental process can really thrive and bringout really amazing results. this requires a secure, refined environment. but this can bring out pure, refined, visionary results without much noise but just the essence but this is hard to maintain and less fluid to travel / adjust .. concentrated, deep focusing, using the mental movement. refined, exact, effective, visionary, inventive, original, novel in results but fragile. working alone is a big plus. stress-controlled style.

in an ideal situation im definately more no. 2 type of worker. and get good results and improvements from that. and balance with a tiny tiny potion of 1 in the end when required..

but i am now in a situation where i'd have to relocate myself to canada due to certain security reasons and i have to start combining 1 and 2 .. but i can't really deal with stress very well. im an only child and with a single parent i spent most of my life working on my own projects with not so much friends at all :-0 so i was wondering.. if you had to go through some sort of transition from 2 to 1, when needed, how did you handle that? i think i could manage myself and routinise myself well enough to handle some of stressful situations but i can't maintain that for long enough i'd either collapse or explode..

and another thing.. there is this saying do more and manage less ! but i am not quite good at it.. im definately more managing type.. and when i've done that i seem to harvest sudden surge of energies that flow through my body when i am inspired / intuitively activated ..

so how do you handle / manage stress and at once focus well enough and manage to create results that are not compromised?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i'm more #2 as well..
i just fall apart under pressure
i'm still recuperating from burn out from over the past few years even

i do my best if i do things slowly and ahead of time with many breaks in between. it's as if i'm studying/learning while i'm working. i need time after to soak it all in and clear my mind. sometimes i will instead work for a very long time and then have a long break instead of several short ones

i had an issue with this in my art classes because i found the manual work was nothing compared to idea development.. i always need more time to test and to mull over when i'm forming ideas.. in the end, all i could offer to show in my assignment was my research. i had no end result :)

it's definitely serious
i had to switch careers (sort of)
what i wanted to study turned out to be something i could not do as a job :cool:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I tend to take on the #2 style generally, considering for a long time what needs to be done, how best to get it done, maybe doing some minor prep work here and there so that when the deadline looms closer and I'm ready to put my all into the project-- BAM! I get up and go, adrenaline courses through me as I rush to meet my deadline-- that would be the switch to #1, I guess...

But if I don't have a deadline to get something done, I have a really hard time getting motivated to actually do anything, even though I know in my mind exactly what needs to be done and how to do it.

For example, I will wait until I'm having company over to dust the furniture, and sometimes it's several weeks between times and everything gets sooooo dusty, but I just keep thinking to myself, "Oh, I'll get to that eventually; it's not that hard, after all; it'd only take me about fifteen minutes; I'm just busy with more important things right now..."

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
it's a complex process, if you can remove a lot of work stress by proper organization, making a decision if an item requires an action or not, collecting all relevant information, thinking through before getting to work stuff like that, then you'll be off to a good start

I suggest david allen's "getting things done fast" seminar (on tape)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have never dealt particularly well with stress. I internalize the stress until I develop borderline ulcers (I have acid reflux)). That said, I am good at prioritizing and getting things done. I actually do some of my best work while under stress, moving with a sense of purpose and an unwavering focus. I tend not to procrastinate, because I prefer to get things out of the way so that I do not have to worry about them.

I recall finishing an out-of-state refresher course in the military, and then begin told on the Sunday of my return that I would be going on a month long pre-deployment training course the following weekend. My to-do list for out-processing and preparation was enormous, and I had to balance everything perfectly all week just to get it done, and I was up late every evening right up until the night before I left. On top of this there were tons of hiccups, including certain places being closed on certain days, difficulty procuring all my equipment, delays, an issue involving lost medical files and failure of my unit to purchase my airline ticket, thus causing me to miss my flight and wait for the next one. On top of this I was going to this training with people that for the most part drove me crazy (and with whom I was to be deployed for six months afterward). This is probably the most stressed I have ever been; to the point that I was severely ill for the first week of the course with a particularly bad acid reflux flareup, and could barely sleep. Funny, the actual deployment did not stress me, only the months of preparation and the endless sea of red tape and boring briefings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts