Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People always say that N's like Philosophy, but what about Sensors? Sure, N's may be more prone to liking it, but can't Sensors like it too? Honestly---I'm an INFP, and I have been considering that I might be an ISFP. I like Philosophy, and still would if I was a Sensor. The only reasons why I think I'm not an ISFP is because I have more things in common with INFP's and don't use Se enough to be an ISFP.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
People always say that N's like Philosophy, but what about Sensors? Sure, N's may be more prone to liking it, but can't Sensors like it too? Honestly---I'm an INFP, and I have been considering that I might be an ISFP. I like Philosophy, and still would if I was a Sensor. The only reasons why I think I'm not an ISFP is because I have more things in common with INFP's and don't use Se enough to be an ISFP.
Like it? Of course they can like it. As with everything in the MBTI, nothing is a fixed law of nature. There's only tendencies.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My friend is a ENFP "The Social Philosopher" and I enjoy having conversations with her regarding the subject!

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Absolutely. I enjoy philosophy, but not debating just for philosophy's sake--it needs to have a purpose, a goal, and an impact on the lives of people.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my case, I used to think that philosophy was useless mental wanking. Of course I never said that outright, but once I did so and got a reaction to it, I thought to myself, "Wait a minute. Why exactly do I think that?"

It turns out that I didn't dislike the topic per se, rather I had bad experiences with people who were in a philosophy class and who weren't thinking as well as they should have been as they were taking it. Several of them were "Matrix-kiddies" and supposed solipsists or otherwise took positions that were untenable, thus reducing the amount of useful discourse in the class.

When I thought about it again, I knew I was conflating my dislike of a limited experience with people and the topic rather than the topic itself.

However, like niss63, I think it needs to have a purpose, goal and impact on people's lives, hence why looking up various schools of morality is something I find the most interesting regarding philosophy. I haven't started reading up on much yet, since I'm still in the midst of other things I have to do, but reading up on philosophy again will be interesting.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
My two favorite works are The Golden Sayings by Epictetus, and Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

You mean like that?

Reactions: vel

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I am not a fan of philosophy. I can't make myselffeel inclined to think very deeply about many of the philosophical topics. I like to know a little about different philosophies, but I don't wish to go in too deep.

Stuff that is relvant to my life, like legal philosophy, would be something I would find interesting.

I am not sure if SPs would find it more interesting than SJs . Maybe they would, but I don't have any evidence to back up that claim other than that it seems reasonable that SPs would like it more.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I really don't care much for philosophy. But, I could if I wanted to.

Reactions: sofort99

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Do Ns have to like philosophy? Sometimes it seems merely like the act of taking something simple and making it unnecessarily complicated. Which I am a pro at, but I get impatient when others do it. :bored:

·
Registered
180 Posts
SFPs can be quite spiritual and thereby become interested in philosophy, esspecially the potheads :crazy:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just guessing here but if anything were to be assumed, maybe N's like to spout of their own philosophy whereas S's like to talk about other's philosophy.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm an intuitive and I used to get very annoyed with philosophy because..well as Vector said, I deemed it "useless mental wanking" as well. I didn't see the point in philosophy. Yes, I am aware that sounds very narrow minded.
Now I understand its importance and how it helps in coming up with unique viewpoints and things. It has also improved my reasoning skills.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I am not at all interested. To me it is a lot of stuff I could make up, if I had the time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts