Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On one hand I LOVE action and learning hands-on really fits with me but Im not really a repair type of guy and honestly i dont feel that similar to the people on other istp forums. I dont even like most people who are mechanics/istp job type because they seem kinda slow most of the time. I was reading the "you know your an intp if.." thread and i was laughing at how close it was to me "While showering you lose yourself in something you were thinking about. Once you return to what you were doing you realize you do not remember if you already used shampoo/soap/ect and end up repeating the whole shower cycle just to make sure."

I feel a few things about me are really different from typical intp though. Im actually a very funny guy once you know me and really love being around people i enjoy/spending time with them. Its just I need a break every so often from everyone to get some "me" time. Normal intp seem to say they arent that funny in social settings and i can still be quite funny even with people I dont know. Intp also dont seem to like action were as I have been skydiving, done many MANY illegal things lol, and im saving for a motocycle right now which will probably be the death of me because I know ill speed/try to see if I can go past the speedometer.

Random facts about me:
- Im 100% independent, my biggest pet peeve is being told what to do
- I love problem solving and I always had a built in gift for painting/drawing, only problem is that i finddrawing/painting much too boring and time consuming.
- I was always pretty good at sports except I completely hate doing anything with teamwork (ugh teamwork *shudder*), my hatred of teamwork is so strong I never played any sports.
- I have an extreme dislike for retarded people who speak nonsense or people who just "follow the crowd".
- Other than a few things like that im probably the most chill person you'll ever meet.
- My friends have pointed out I seem to say "fuck it" to everything because literally it takes something VERY VERY interesting for me to give a rats ass about it.
- I LOVE to argue, you know those two guys who randomly start arguing on a thread and completely derail the op? Yea thats me, even if nothing will come out of arguing i do it anyway because its fun.
- People never really said im "cold" but they have said some of the thing i say are very "asshole-ly". E.G "Why do we have a day for anti bullying? What just because some fags killed themselves because they cant handle the fact life is hard and people are mean? Ffs people who get bullied need to grow some balls and man the fuck up". I said this to my principle in highschool lol, guess it was a good way to get sent home early

So yea, these are my thoughts atm and hopefully i posted enough info that you guys can help me out with this conundrum.

tl;dr: tbh i probably wouldnt bother to read all of this either lol

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You are relying too much on stereotypes.. ISTPs don't have to like mechanics and there are a lot of funny INTPs
From the limited information you gave you do actually seem like an ISTP.
All stereotypes have a grain of truth in them, but they are not truth themselves. Try looking for serious and informative data on ISTPs. If you need help just say so and I'll find you some sources.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are relying too much on stereotypes.. ISTPs don't have to like mechanics and there are a lot of funny INTPs
From the limited information you gave you do actually seem like an ISTP.
All stereotypes have a grain of truth in them, but they are not truth themselves. Try looking for serious and informative data on ISTPs. If you need help just say so and I'll find you some sources.
What else would you need to know about me to help find out if im an istp or not? Ive tried looking but i get caught between "Oh that matches me perfect but this other point isnt really me at all" I feel like im 50% istp and 50% intp

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Well what sites did you use and what do identify/not identify with in each type? no need to elaborate here, several points per type will do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using the shitty online tests gave me intp each site i tried
I used a bunch but this site seemed very helpful preludecharacteranalysis.com/types/ISTP/vs/INTP
Also watched some davesuperpowers youtube.com/watch?v=BwHFjtBoxEI

Intp what I match with:
-The INTP is very independent, and values independence in others.
-The INTP is the cynical, (they prefer to call themselves ‘realists!’)
-Try and flatter an INTP and they will become very suspicious. Give an INTP a compliment and they’ll think, ‘what’s s/he after!
-Very afraid of failure so much sometimes I'd rather just not try anything than fail or lose
-INTPs are relatively easy-going and amenable to most anything until something violates their principles.
-The INTP will not fit snugly into a typical structure. They value independence, of thought and action and they need their space: to think, to be free from other people to work in short bursts of energy.
- The INTP does not like too much detail, preferring a broad-brush stroke approach.
- This applys for both intp and istp:get bored very quickly in general and especially while studying

Istp what I match with:
- The self-indulgent nature of the ISTP means that they will be full-on, or full off - they don’t do shades of grey
- The ISTP is at their best in times of crisis and challenge, but will have little appetite for follow-through as they will be looking for a new complex challenge
- The ISTP is self-sufficient and very independent, only really happy when undertaking some risky or interesting activity.
- When someone argues with the ISTP, the facts, data, empirical evidence, knowledge are brought quickly to bear to quash the arguments.
although introverted they are, at heart, thrill-seekers.
- They are less good when the going is not tough and not so good at the more sensitive side of leading people.
- Although friendly the ISTP is more practical and factual and so may not understand emotions.
- Fairness and equality are two other ideas that are very important to ISTP personalities

Intp what I do not match with:
-Mathematics is a system where many INTPs love to play, similarly languages, computer systems--potentially any complex system. (Im good at math but its so dam boring)

Istp what I do not match with:
-ISTPs do not really care much about personal space.

Idk much I disagree with they are both very similar to me

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You said it yourself, they are shitty. They can be accurate but most have very clear flaws in them.
Most of what you identified with in the INTP and ISTP are common to both.. you actually repeated yourself here and there.
My judgement says ISTP, but the last call is yours.

I'll refer you to some other sites that might prove helpful:

Ehh.. I didn't find any really good INTP vs. ISTP comparisons so I'll just give you the site in which I read about the different types:

ISTP Personality Type Profile - Personality Junkie
INTP Personality Profile - Personality Junkie

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok thanks i think i agree with you, i asked a close family friend who studys psychology (like phd level lol) and she said she definitely thinks im istp because i love action and adventure.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ok thanks i think i agree with you, i asked a close family friend who studys psychology (like phd level lol) and she said she definitely thinks im istp because i love action and adventure.
Oh wow good thing you have this kind of connections.
Yeah it's one of the things that made me insist you are ISTP.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Such ISTP much organization. Damn, yeah, the moment I see someone list shit like you have makes the flashing red light "ST" go off. I didn't even need to read it, I just knew it, lol. Didn't mean to put "ST" in a negative connotation. Though, I must say, I have an ISTP friend and we'd do some pretty shit. Though, he was a lot more adventurous than I was, and I was more in my head a distant. When the time came to come up with ideas to "rule the world," we'd definitely wreak havoc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts