Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*dun dun dunnnn* lol

...just curious, does anybody else here seem to find themselves with the most ridiculous ability to rationalize any bad behavior you do, to where you see it as totally okay, even if you know it's "technically" frowned upon?

I kinda feel like ENTP's are the best at that. Like we can do almost anything without feeling bad about it, cause we can rationalize why it was alright lol.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, yeah I guess, however I feel that to some level when it becomes say in-humane only a sick mind can rationalize it away.

Also capacity for evil is misleading, I draw a fine line between "Evil" and doing something that isn't necessarily right and good.

Reactions: Zerosum

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol the title was more for fun than anything. But yeah, I don't find myself doing like, horrible shit by any means lol. I'm just saying, there isn't a whole lot that I do, or have done, that I ever really feel bad about, even if it's a little sketchy on your average "Moral Compass". But not inhumane shit man, c'mon lol

·
Registered
790 Posts
That depends, the concepts Good or Evil can be relative. And i thing that its a NT general behaviour also ST even T behaviour.

Reactions: Zerosum

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
lol I can really justify almost any form of behaviour on my behalf! I will weigh up the benefits to negatives of any decision and will make a decision without consideration of the ethical "right or wrong" (more based on how severe will the consequences be, whats the likely hood of getting caught and how large will the benefit be).

I respect people who have a strong moral code... But that sure as hell is not me lol

That being said... I would struggle to justify anything that crosses the boundary too far, for example! I can happily sleep with a girl that has a partner if I don't know the partner.. Won't even consider it. On the other hand, I would never attempt this with a friend and his girlfriend. Another example is that I would happily cheat any test, if I was guaranteed to get a higher mark (and of course the risk of getting caught was minimal). On the other hand I wouldn't manipulate or extort a teacher in order to get a better mark!

For me, morals aren't absolutes.. Rather my personal moral code is about degrees

·
Registered
953 Posts
Recently I've become aware of my behavior in terms of morals. Every time i decide to not do something bad, I ask myself why. What stopped me from doing that? I guess it must be a conscience. But then when I actually do something that people consider to be "bad" I don't feel remorse.

When i apologize I usually don't really mean. I have no problem lying and manipulating, as long as it doesn't hurt the other person.

But yes, it is very easy to rationalize.

I think the reason I don't steal is because I see it as an easy way out and something an unsuccessful person would do.

·
Registered
343 Posts
But yes, it is very easy to rationalize.

I think the reason I don't steal is because I see it as an easy way out and something an unsuccessful person would do.
That's interesting, using pride as a source for morality. We do things not because the things themselves are wrong, but because we are better than the kind of people who do those things.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Evil? I guess that all depends on your own morality. I think ENTPs may be prone to behaving "badly" because we can see every possible justification for almost anything. However, one's ideas of good and bad are relative.

Personally, I find it very easy to justify my actions - no matter what I do. My morals are driven by my desire for specific outcomes and avoidance of others, not by the perceptions of good and bad created by the masses.

Reactions: entpIdeas

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
It's one of those situations where the "end justifies the means", even though the end or the means it aren't necessarily appreciated by society.

But as for true evil? Nah... wouldn't have much to accomplish with that. I'm usually pretty laid-back and have no malicious intent whatsoever. Usually.

·
Banned
541 Posts
"The morality of the extraverted intuitive is governed neither by intellect nor by feeling; he has his own characteristic morality, which consists in a loyalty to his intuitive view of things and a voluntary submission to its authority. Consideration for the welfare of his neighbours is weak. No solid argument hinges upon their well-being any more than upon his own. Neither can we detect in him any great respect for his neighbour's convictions and customs; in fact, he is not infrequently put down as an immoral and ruthless adventurer." - Carl Jung

I wouldn't necessarily think that this is true, but I do have a very characteristic morality and rarely hold a very deep respect for the conventions and customs of others. Growing up I was probably much less moral of a person than I am now. I like to read quotes by famous historical figures to better understand them, and I remember reading this quote "Success is the sole earthly indicator of right and wrong" and it just sort of clicked with me for a while, and my morality was similarly oriented. I probably have rationalized some pretty immoral behaviors in my day.

Reactions: entpIdeas

·
Registered
145 Posts
...just curious, does anybody else here seem to find themselves with the most ridiculous ability to rationalize any bad behavior you do, to where you see it as totally okay, even if you know it's "technically" frowned upon?
Hell yeah....especially if humor is involved.

As for our "capacity for evil..." I think we are more than capable of some pretty dark shit, but are kept in check by the things we value most(family, friends, etc.).

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I think the difference between NTs and most other types is that we have a very rationalized concept of what evil is whereas those other types have a very empathized concept of good and evil. I know that, though I don't really have any capacity for guilt, I wouldn't intentionally harm those who are generally attempting to do good unto others or to help people in need. I can generally empathize with others misfortunes, though I generally can't sympathize with peoples willingness to accept those misfortunes and dwell upon them as doing so is a completely foreign concept to me. When it comes to people that are intentionally doing something that would be harmful to others (as I have little to no capacity for guilt, remorse, or sympathy) I have absolutely no problem with showing them what real evil looks like though.

I guess what it comes down to is that I have no more capacity for evil in general than anyone else and I probably have more discipline to avoid temptation than most, but when it comes to fighting evil with evil my capacity knows no bounds.

Reactions: Magnificent Bastard

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm too self-aware to be able to rationalize to myself why I did something...when I try to give myself a reason to make myself feel better I automatically tell myself it is bullshit and recognize what I'm doing. This doesn't necessarily mean that I have what is considered the socially appropriate emotional reaction to my behavior but that I recognize the real reasons I acted the way I did. I actually get super annoyed when people try to give me some lame, fake excuse for their behavior to make it more acceptable when I know why they acted the way they did.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes. I do not lie, but when I do I rationalize my way into thinking it was not actually lying but a mere use of the rules to my advantage so that I don't feel guilty about myself as I do not like lying. But in truth, it was a fucking lie :p. Anyone with a little brain would see that I am actually lying to myself to feel at ease.

This is mostly work related stuff and metrics. In social interactions there is no need deceive yourself for some stupid metric.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of a rationalized concept of good vs evil as in if it's logical, efficient and helpful then it's good. It doesn't have to be kind, caring, or make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hell yeah....especially if humor is involved.

As for our "capacity for evil..." I think we are more than capable of some pretty dark shit, but are kept in check by the things we value most(family, friends, etc.).
Yes, this...without family and friends as a source of accountability, I'd be afraid what I would have been capable of. Nothing that would take advatage of another, though. Willing participants are fair game.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts