Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how good do you see yourself in card games?
Say poker for instances.

Cant comment on myself since the last time i did play any card games was in the 7. grade. Didnt do so good back then, no idea about the rules even.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I hate money-risk games. Bad for my heart. And I'm really bad in having tactics. I'm not N enough to get really dragged into it with keeping scores and remembering which cards already fell ... But if the game is not too serious or if it is a solitaire, I'm up for it!

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I love card games. Well, most all games, board, dominoes, dice...

The best players I've known are all NTs. They play like it's a matter of life and death. Strategy, thinking two moves ahead, scrutinizing and anticipating their opponent. No thanks. I'm competitive, but I'm playing a game, not going to war. :happy:

·
Banned
27 Posts
I enjoy card games as well. I get competitive depending on who I am playing with. As for poker, I believe it to be mostly based on luck.... but I do have a great poker face.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I love all sorts of card and board games: poker (mostly of the Texas Hold 'Em variety), cribbage, chess, gin, euchre, etc.

I'm very competitive...I want to win, but I'm not a sore loser. But, everyone knows: I always win. Huh...that's why nobody plays with me.

Reactions: Animal and Kadjunga

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm ok at card games i guess. But i get easily bored with it, i rather play a board game. But poker (texas hold 'em) is fun. People always say I'm lucky in games, and the first time i played poker with money i won! :tongue: The funny thing is that the ones i played against had played for years, on the internet and private games, and i were quite new at it and had only played a couple of times before. I got a great laugh at there expense :crazy:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm not sure -- I crashed a poker game once a few years ago. They taught me the rules but I had to keep consulting my "list" of hands to make sure I was betting right.
I ended up winning the whole game and $50 on the river -- I calculated that there was a vague chance my card would turn up, and so I decided to follow my impulse and let it ride.
Just luck, but I think i irritated the guys since I wasn't in on their regular poker night. :blushed:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I'm pretty good at poker and egyptian ratscrew (is it pronounced ratscrew?).
I love Egyptian Ratscrew! Especially since you get to slap people. :cool:

Reactions: Kadjunga

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty good a texas hold em. Can't get enough of that game. But I've not had the patience for much else.

I've found that I can pick up on most peoples (all but the experts) body language to read a bluff. I also have an insane level of stickability that can lead me into playing games that last hours and hours and hours. Though this stickablity may stem from me being rather over-competative - but anyway...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Most games (including card games in particular) I play casually with the exception of Magic the Gathering, which I have played competitively for several years. While some of my "pro" friends (assumedly NT's) would blow me out of the water pretty consistently, I would approach their level with enough practice and preparation. As with just about anything, my approach is to improve mainly through repetition which leads the ability to use my brainpower more efficiently.

That said, one of my classic flaws is making simple mistakes over and over and over again while trying to analyze complex scenarios.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmmm, kind of what i expected. Considering if to join up on the poker "physics students" tournament or not. I can read people very easily and if i want to i can become completely unreadable.

Thanks for the replies tho

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty good a texas hold em. Can't get enough of that game. But I've not had the patience for much else.

I've found that I can pick up on most peoples (all but the experts) body language to read a bluff. I also have an insane level of stickability that can lead me into playing games that last hours and hours and hours. Though this stickablity may stem from me being rather over-competative - but anyway...
i feel the exact way! my longest session straight was 22 hours. i can beat that easily if i tried. i'm hyper competitive. ive always loved chess and spades, hearts. basically if there is something that we can do or play to see who's better, i want to play. ive been playing hold'em for 7 years and im about ready to go pro. i can be at work for 1 hour and be ready to go home. i can play cards for 8 hours and only get up twice to go to the bathroom. i think it's the risk involved. the instant gratification of being good.

·
Banned
10 Posts
I dont regularly play card games, but I learn them pretty quickly. too bad I forget them just as quickly. that said, I'm not bad with Black jack. But I'm a total chicken when it comes to betting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts