Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know that numerous threads (both within and outside this site) have been created regarding this, but I'm still confused. I don't know if I'm a really indecisive INTJ or a more rigid/structured INTP, but I'm pretty sure I'm an IT.

I understand this is quite a long post, but I guess this shows how much effort I put into wanting to know, right? I'll try to provide as much information as I can. (Also, sometimes I may look like I'm contradicting myself. When that happens, please point it out so I can clarify.)

Cognitive process test: ISTJ then INTJ (I took it twice. When I first took the cognitive process test, I didn't judge each category/idea by "how much I successfully apply them." Now, I'm starting to question my being an INTx.)

Se 21.7 | Si 41.4
Ne 31.7 | Ni 32.6
Te 30.1 | Ti 33.8
Fe 14.6 | Fi 33.6

Se 25.9 | Si 30.8
Ne 32.9 | Ni 33.7
Te 36.1 | Ti 34.9
Fe 13.4 | Fi 31.9​

Big Five/SLOAN: RLOEI (I followed someone's advice here regarding using SLOAN as a "second opinion," and my result was INTJ.)
Extroversion: 16%
Orderliness: 58%
Emotional Stability: 42%
Accommodation: 22%
Inquisitiveness: 66%​

Enneagram: 5w6 (I'm pretty sure that I'm a type 5 SP.)
Type 5: 9.7
Type 6: 8.7
Type 1: 8.7
Type 9: 7.7
(The rest are 7 and below, so I didn't include them.)

Wing 5w6 - 14.1
Wing 6w5 - 13.6
Wing 1w9 - 12.6
Wing 6w7 - 12.2
Wing 9w1 - 12.1
Wing 5w4 - 11.6
Wing 7w6 - 11.4
(The rest are 9.4 and below.)​

Here are some random info about me (hopefully it would be enough). I tried my best categorising them, but some may still overlap with others.

"Self-service"

1. I've been reading on INTJ and INTP profiles for five days straight despite knowing that I should be attending to projects due next week. I know I'm going to kick myself later for procrastinating, but I can't help it; I don't necessarily need to know (I won't die or anything), but I want to know. Even if the conclusion I may find won't necessarily fit me in one type, I, at the very least, want to know my more dominant type. Not knowing something I want to know frustrates and disturbs me. I want to know my type mainly because I want to identify and understand myself more.

Thing is, when classes resume, I probably wouldn't think as much. When I see posts about it, I'd slightly obsess over my type again, but it will come in passing thoughts in favour of doing my projects because I don't want to fail that class.

2. I tend to obsess about things I'm interested in, often researching them until I'm satisfied that I have adequate knowledge regarding the subject to use. It doesn't matter if the subject isn't currently related to my major; if I want to learn about it, I'd learn about it (but just enough to the point I'm comfortable with). E.g. I like to write and draw simply because I want to develop those skills for personal use, not because I mainly seek to make a living out of it (though it would be nice to earn extra money from my hobbies).

3. I like to make to-do lists because otherwise I would forget; however, I also forget to look at the to-do lists. It just matters that I wrote them, and when I do remember to look at them, the information would be available.

4. On more casual conversations, I like speculative discussions more than "Oh, hey, let's talk about these facts that I've laid out on the table." E.g. I like the discussion I had with my cousin. We talked about "How true is our religion, really? Certainly other religions also think that their "Supreme Being" is "The One." How can we be sure that our "divine" is real?" I'm nowhere near religious, but at that time I just wondered.

5. Ultimately, when I do something there's always something about "me" in it. I learn things not because I happened to pass by the information and thought "Oh, hey, this could be handy some day... I think," but because I'm interested in that knowledge and I'd like to be able to apply it more to myself than to my world around me. E.g. I'd like to learn interior design and architecture because I'd like to be able to design my own house in the future, or I want to learn programming because I want to develop my own game and software.

Perfectionism and indecisiveness
1. When I play games, I'm a compulsive-saver. I save almost every time because I don't like repeating levels when something bad happens at the end. Also, if I were to play Pokemon, I'm the type of person who'd spend hours just to catch one with the nature I like even though I neither breed nor battle competitively (which are the main reasons people catch them with their preferred nature/s in the first place). I think this comes from my being a perfectionist because, essentially, I want the Pokemon closest to "perfect."

2. I am indecisive regarding matters/situations that I deem important (i.e. think would affect me, directly or indirectly) because I want to make sure that the "final" answer is the absolute best. However, this is also hard for me to judge because I rarely actively participate in things that would probably not affect in me some way unless I choose to actively participate.

I tend to procrastinate a lot: sometimes it's because I'm tired of doing the same thing over and over, sometimes it's because I'm still thinking of what I want to do. When a deadline comes and I've yet to decide on something, I pick the solution that needs the least effort and produces good results.

When I think that my answer is in a state where it's at its absolute best (already refined one way or another), I would find it had to see baseless/irrational/illogical (or even just less rational or logical than my solutions) suggestions especially because of the thought I've already put into getting that result. Sometimes I do relent, however, because I don't want to appear too domineering and I don't want to waste time arguing—I'd often think "Fine, whatever, as long as we get this done already."

3. I'm the type of person who would ask a person "Are you 100% sure?" I'm also the type to obsess over the perfect word to use in or describe a situation (it may come from my inclination to creative writing, though).

4. When I have ideas, I like to think of a lot of different possibilities and situations because I don't want my "final solution/answer" to be lacking. I like closure because I'd want to pick a final answer so I can move on to another problem without worries; however, I'm not adverse to refining said answer/s. Actually, even then it depends on the situation, and I often ask myself: Do we have time to revise? How much thought did we give in coming to this solution? (and, for people who say they don't like the direction something is headed when we're nearly finished: Why did you not tell me that earlier when we were only conceptualising or at least just starting?).

5. I would like to learn forever (about things that interest me, that is) if age didn't constrain me. If I didn't age, I would probably rarely shift if I think it's worth learning (i.e. I can use that knowledge sometime in the future, be it for personal or professional/academic reasons) because I won't think I'm wasting time. I'd probably take degree after degree after degree, and if I'm happy with what I know, only then would I decide what I'd do with my life. Sadly, I'm old, and I'm having a hard time choosing which course to shift into because I'm afraid I'd be wasting my time with something I may not love or may not pursue as a career in the end.

6. I am very strongly driven by both interest and perfection. I want to be "perfect" (in the way I see what "perfection" is) in things that fully interest me. This is why I want to learn at least one instrument, one martial arts practice, one sport, one "artsy" skill. I can't exactly say that I do these for the sake of just knowledge, because I learn them because I strive for what I see as "perfection." I also want to continue my ice skating, but I found that it would be more practical of me to get into a sport that is more accessible, so I let it go; however, I do wonder "What would've happened if I continued?" most of the time.

Being a perfectionist, I tend to produce works that I've screened as the "best" or "most plausible," and I expect no less from others. I don't appreciate half-assed works that need my constant fixing and intervention to make it look remotely presentable.

I don't like being the leader, but when I see that no one is going to act (and we'd have a bad grade), I assume the position of an "understanding" and "laid-back" leader. I just give divide the tasks we need to do and I leave them (groupmates) to deal with whatever they picked. I don't care when they'd start working on it and how they'd go about finishing it as long as their output is on time and up to my standards (where standards = at par or above par in relation to my output).

I'm also quite lazy. This makes me want to seek the "way" that requires minimal effort, but I also don't want to compromise results.

Tackling the "ends" (or process)

1. I just know what I want in the end. I don't often know how I'd go about reaching those goals, though. When I'm 100% sure I want something (I also have a hard time deciding how important something is to me), I tend to do everything in my power to "reach" or "achieve" that something.

E.g. When I wrote a research paper, apart from deciding that it absolutely had to be pop culture, related to fan fiction, and slightly controversial, I had no "narrowed-down" topic. I spent around two weeks thinking of my absolute final topic because what I did was gather sources for all my "desired" topics. I then picked the one where I had the most reference material on.

2. I have this inability to finish things I pick up out of mild interest ("Hey, that sounds fun/interesting") in hopes of seeking whether or not I actually am interested in those certain things. It's a pretty debilitating trait for someone who wants to seriously finish learning things.

I have many interests and I like to take things up because I'm "interested" in learning about them, but rarely do I ever achieve mastery in them because I'm constantly looking "for that one thing" that interests me the most. It's also because I saw half-way through that, even though I kind of like them, I'd probably won't pursue those things in a more professional or competitive setting. If I do want to get better, it's only because I'm particularly interested in developing that skill for myself.

The same goes when I write stories: I have a lot of ideas for stories (I even write the complete bio of major characters), but rarely do I ever start writing them. I've yet to finish a multi-chaptered story. I have a lot of one-sentence ideas that I know I'd forcibly develop into a story... sometime in the future.

3. I prefer quality over quantity. I think this follows a more dominant way of thinking where I tend to take in a lot of things first, and then seek to arrange those "things" by priority; the ones I think hold more weight or value are often judged/evaluated first, then when I still can't make a decision based on those that I think weigh more, I look for other factors I may have missed (looking to the next one in my "hierarchy").

More often than not, though, I don't make highly concrete decisions based on those that hold the most weight or value because I fear that I may have left one crucial detail. I only arrive at a conclusion earlier when I am 100% sure that the other "details" would have little to no effect on the conclusion based from the "more valued" details.

4. In a team, I'd much rather think/propose ideas than execute/implement them. I do want to see them implemented, but I just like conceptualising a bit more.

5. I tend to think of efficiency > effectivity because I firmly believe that for something to be efficient it must also be effective; I cannot call one "solution" to be effective if there is another solution that is more efficient and also gives me my desired results.

6. I don't take steps to make myself seem "morally correct". If someone were to ask me "Are some people's lives more important than others?" I'd answer "Yes" in a heartbeat (mostly because it's true). I'm the type of person who's not anti-abortion.

7. I tend tell to people "Just because it's worked this time doesn't mean it's the best. There is always something better." I like to plan for things that may happen (like worst case scenarios). I don't like it when people are so close-minded that they ignore something can be better "just because it already works."

Need for (or lack of?) structure and details

1. I don't always want to have "plans," but in an academic environment or in a situation I consider highly important, I'd prefer to have structure (a lot of it, in fact). Like before starting a project, I'd need to make a final list of the materials needed, the places we'd visit, back-up plans if this place didn't have material A or B, etc. However, if I were on a vacation, for example, my absolute minimum requirements would be the departure time, hotel we'd be staying at, when we'd get back, and the money.

2. I pay a lot of attention to details. I like to nit-pick. Once my friends and I were in a mall, and whenever I passed by some poster or advertisement I found really stupid, I liked to criticise them. I remember passing by a washing machine poster that said "Now, you can wash your clothes and spend time with your family!" because of how "fast" the machine washed clothes. When I saw that, I said right away "They should fire whoever made that. Even with washing machines that take a lot of time, I'd still be able to spend time with my family."

3. I'm also observant, but with that comes my short attention span: sometimes in a middle of a sentence I'd cut myself and say something unrelated like "Whoa, that car is a nice colour," or "Have you seen a Pomsky?" if I were to see one pass by. Or whenever I type, I'd think I finished typing my sentence only to go back and see that I only actually typed half of it.

Handling emotions

1. I am easily annoyed, but rarely truly angered. I don't show to others when I'm annoyed. When angry, I tend to be more passive-aggressive (because I'd rather get even): I ignore the person I'm mad at and refuse to tell that person why I'm angry. When the person has done enough damage, I don't believe in the statement "forgive and forget." How am I supposed to forgive when I remember fully well what he/she did to me?

2. I pick my fights and I usually only argue when I know I'm right (or when I just want to grill someone on baseless opinions). Therefore, in those situations, I think I'm right (because I most likely am). I once had an English prof that would always correct me when I willingly omit the oxford comma, but I saw nothing wrong in that because she neither specified if we were to follow British or American tradition nor explicitly stated that we had to use it. Every time she returned my papers they'd have the same corrections and I stubbornly ignored her correcting because, damn it, I know I'm right.

Also, sometimes I argue not necessarily because I believe in that. I just want to point out the inconsistency in someone's logic. Or for fun (but not always).

3. For situations that don't require my full attention or are just really boring, I often appear absent minded (or so I've been told). However, my degree of "absent-mindedness" is not the spacing-out kind because of too much thought, but rather of too little attention given to what I'm currently doing. It's more like the "walking into walls/doors" type because I was only thinking of placing a glass back in it's corner, and I failed to see the open cupboard I walked into. It also manifests when I get out of the car, and I just happen to bring with me whatever it is I'm holding even though I specifically reminded myself to leave it in the car.

4. On occasion, I do think I'm smarter than some people. I tend to look down on some that are "so sure that they're smart" when they're clearly not and tend to have little patience or tolerance especially for them. I don't like it when I'm explaining things and they just can't seem to understand and I go around in circles (and, really, they're just wasting my time) because I'm used to friends who understand what I say.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You are an INTP. The traits that you described are indicative of an INTP, but I will firstly list a few of the similarities that often causes people to mistype themselves. Both INTJs and INTPs are theorists, and both like to tinker with theoretical models of various kinds. The INTP is capable of fashioning an elaborate plan just as much as the INTJ. The INTP likes to learn how something works and figure out why it works, much like the INTJ. The INTP and the INTJ are knowledge-seekers, and when both encounter something crucial or new, they get enthusiastic and work on it immediately. But there are key differences that you may not have noticed.

Firstly, the INTP will pursue an idea, vision, concept, or paradigm and become relentless in their pursuit of absolute knowledge. They want to intimately know the ins and the outs of their subject, and until Ne (Extroverted Intuition) and Ti (Introverted Thinking) stop their process, they will never be satisfied. Key words here are absolute knowledge. Meanwhile, the INTJ will only become relentless in their pursuit of knowledge when it has a pragmatic application of some sorts. Their auxiliary Te (Extroverted Thinking) is responsible for this trait. While they like to be knowledgeable, the INTJ likes closure in everything they plan to do so they can proceed to the next phase of their plans. Key words here are closure and pragmatic application.

Secondly, and the last, the INTP does not necessarily find the need for plans, complex or not as they may be. However, this does not necessarily mean they are wholly incapable of designing a plan or system that works. The INTJ is also capable of these things, but they prefer to deal with the implementation of their plans, as opposed to staying in the design phase. The INTJ will likely become frustrated or even agitated when they are not able to find a practical application to their plans, theories, visions, and ideas. Bottomline, the INTJ is about bringing their inner vision of things to reality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They want to intimately know the ins and the outs of their subject, and until Ne (Extroverted Intuition) and Ti (Introverted Thinking) stop their process, they will never be satisfied. Key words here are absolute knowledge. Meanwhile, the INTJ will only become relentless in their pursuit of knowledge when it has a pragmatic application of some sorts. While they like to be knowledgeable, the INTJ likes closure in everything they plan to do so they can proceed to the next phase of their plans. Key words here are closure and pragmatic application.
I don't really know if I'm just that stupid, but no matter how much I read up on this, I still get confused. In fact, the more I know, the more confused I become. What if I like a mix of both, depending on the situation?

If I only want to be knowledgable to the extent where I am satisfied (or reach a point where, from whatever I have researched, I can already know something for certain), where does that place me?

The INTJ is also capable of these things, but they prefer to deal with the implementation of their plans, as opposed to staying in the design phase.
Where do I stand if I do want to see my plans implemented, but would also prefer to keep their options open (for a limited time) in case there may be a more "perfect" plan?

The INTJ will likely become frustrated or even agitated when they are not able to find a practical application to their plans, theories, visions, and ideas.
I do feel a sense of... anxiety or disturbance or slight frustration when I spend too much time thinking and then end up with nothing that I feel I can work with because I wasted time. Is this the same as the situation above?

Bottomline, the INTJ is about bringing their inner vision of things to reality.
Would this be slightly related to saying that INTJs are more "proactive" than reactive? That's how I understand it, but I'm not an expert so I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks for answering, but I'm afraid I still have some questions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello FluffySheep and welcome here. :)

Don't think you are stupid, differences between the type can be hard to get, even more with the Nts.
I'm totally not an expert and all, but i'm a Intj myself and an huge perfectionnist. I've been tested INTx and had a hard time (weeks..) understanding the differences between the two types and choosing my side :p Now i'm sure about it.
I can relate to a lot (if not all of them, in various degrees) of the things you pointed out about your way of thinking.
Reason why i wouldn't put you under the Intp label so fast.

My two best friends are Intp. This helped me a lot to figure out if i was one of them or not, just by interacting and exchanging ideas with them. So i highly recommend you to do this: talk to both Intjs and/or Intps and spot the differences/similarities. You're at the right place I think. ;)

Firstly, the INTP will pursue an idea, vision, concept, or paradigm and become relentless in their pursuit of absolute knowledge. They want to intimately know the ins and the outs of their subject, and until Ne (Extroverted Intuition) and Ti (Introverted Thinking) stop their process, they will never be satisfied. Key words here are absolute knowledge. Meanwhile, the INTJ will only become relentless in their pursuit of knowledge when it has a pragmatic application of some sorts. Their auxiliary Te (Extroverted Thinking) is responsible for this trait. While they like to be knowledgeable, the INTJ likes closure in everything they plan to do so they can proceed to the next phase of their plans. Key words here are closure and pragmatic application.
The difference Rugaard exposed seems accurate but still vague to me, Intps do like to know for the sake of knowing, yes, but never one of my friend has been as obsessive as i am when i want to know something. I noticed it's easier for them to postpone a question left without answer, and think about it later or «*wait that the right answer come to them*» (which doesn't mean they stop thinking about it though). They tend to be more flexible, go more with the flow and are less bothered by those kind of open-ending* (that's a P trait).

On my side, i want my answers as soon as possible or i'm stuck in my thinking process, less able to go forward and to start being «*practical*». BUT i'm okay with the fact that the so-called answers might evolve or radically change in the future. As long as i know enough to advance on the moment, it's okay for me, i'll be able to question myself again in the future if there is a crack in my reasoning.
My intp friends aren't in tune with that last point, and not really prone to re-evalue their whole thinking-process each time a new idea comes into play, reason why they prefer to keep things open. Probably the difference between Ti and Te, but i won't be so affirmative ^^.

Do not forget you are a type 5 too. So knowledge is important to you whatever your MBTI is. Reason why i would seek the differences/similarities on some other points than the knowledge field (and how you relate to it) if i were you.

If I only want to be knowledgable to the extent where I am satisfied (or reach a point where, from whatever I have researched, I can already know something for certain), where does that place me?
Discovering and improving yourself IS an application so, to me... J

Where do I stand if I do want to see my plans implemented, but would also prefer to keep their options open (for a limited time) in case there may be a more "perfect" plan?
Try to think about what i write just above. But the «for a limited time» let me think of J too haha

I do feel a sense of... anxiety or disturbance or slight frustration when I spend too much time thinking and then end up with nothing that I feel I can work with because I wasted time. Is this the same as the situation above?
I think everybody would feel a bit frustrated or even guilty after procrastination...

Would this be slightly related to saying that INTJs are more "proactive" than reactive? That's how I understand it, but I'm not an expert so I'm not entirely sure.
Yes, as Js, they are planners and try to anticipate things.

Not sure if all that will help you, but take the time to make your researches and exchange with the community.
And feel free to message me if you want or need to discuss more about all that :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts