Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm Nga. I'm from Viet Nam. I'm 26 years old. I graduated from Singapore Management University, majoring in psychology last year. I have taught Maths in English as an extracurricular activity in Viet Nam since last September. I love working with children so I do enjoy teaching. This month I started studying full-time a second bachelor degree to become an English teacher so it's gonna be for 4 more years. I used to be very passionate about psychology however there's no job market for psychology in Viet Nam. Giving up on psychology is one of the hardest thing I've ever done. However, I still want to pursue a master degree of science in psychology (specialized in children and teenage clinical psychology) even though I might never apply it. I intend to apply for that course next year. I wonder if it's worth it. Studying for one bachelor degree and one master degree simultaneously in addition to teaching seems very strenuous. But I hope that one day I can work as a teacher and a counselor at the same time.

What do you think?

·
Banned
70 Posts
Keep working to become an English teacher, then you can make a lot of cash to get out of that shit hole you call Vietnam (I'm Vietnamese too). You enjoy teaching, and you love money even more, so teaching English would be perfect. When you can afford to leave your country, you can start on your psychology projects.

Don't forget to teach them how to pronounce words properly, they really suck at English.

Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you but I want to settle down in Viet Nam. I'm tired of living overseas. Actually I got depressed the whole time I was in Singapore. I don't care about making a lot of cash. I just want to make ends meet and follow my dreams.
My pronunciation is quite good so I think I can help kids pronounce correctly.

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
Why can you not pursue psychology?

I don't know exactly what the situation in Vietnam is, but in Malaysia while the psychology field is very small, it does exist. I saw one clinic, but these days many young people are coming back from abroad, and from places like Singapore, with psychology degrees so the field is surely growing, although still limited.
There has to be one psychological practice in your city?

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
Provided you attain a bachelor's degree I would expect you could apply for provisional registration as a psychologist.
In any case there should be a Vietnamese Psychological Association, or something like that. Contact them and ask is the best thing you can do.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Studying psychology doesn't necessarily mean working in the psychology field.
You can work as a school counsellor. You can also work in the media. The list is endless, you don't have to limit yourself to psychology related careers unless of course that's what you want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love psychology and I love working with children so if possible, I want to become a child psychologist or a school counselor. However, I'm not qualified to be a psychologist and almost no school in Viet Nam has a school counselor.

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
It probably doesn't, but assuming the system is the same as in much of the rest of the world you can apply for provisional registration, or registration as something less than a full-blown psychologist. Again, if you want to do psychological work of any kind contacting the national association/organisation is the best thing to do, because they handle registration and they have all the information.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I love psychology and I love working with children so if possible, I want to become a child psychologist or a school counselor. However, I'm qualified to be a psychologist and almost no school in Viet Nam has a school counselor.
Maybe you can be the first school counsellor in Vietnam?
I know someone who studied psychology and became a children's TV presenter.
Or you might want to consider looking for a job outside of Vietnam.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I should pursue both a bachelor degree in English and a master degree in child psychology. After graduating, I will get an English teaching job at a middle school and ask the principal to let me become a school counselor as well. I want to note that my parents don't allow me to quit university now because being an English teacher is a stable and respectable job and it's doable for me since my English is pretty good already.
Working outside Vietnam is not an option for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks but I think the system in Vietnam is quite different. All psychology undergraduates just go out there in the job market finding any job they can find. I've never heard of provisional registration before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.