Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, members of PerC. I'm currently a student in college and have declared a major, but I'm looking for a little advice on what career would be a good fit for me. I am very sensitive, non-confrontational, and bad under pressure. Quiet environments are best for my sanity. I've recently decided that work environment is probably more important for my happiness than the job itself. This is just speculation, though. I would like to have a lot of autonomy in my job and be trusted to do it well without much supervision. I am an INFJ and also a highly sensitive person, if that gives you a better picture.

Currently, I am studying computer science in college. I enjoy it so far and can see myself programming for a career, but I'm worried about having to deal with the stress of the business world. The idea of rushed deadlines and demanding bosses scares me. I'm someone who needs to work at her own pace. I also have trouble not becoming incredibly emotionally invested in my job, even if it's something as objective as computer programming. Will I be okay?

Another option I see for myself is counseling. I feel a strong pull toward helping people with emotional problems, so I think I'd get a greater sense of personal satisfaction from counseling. However, the low salary worries me, I don't want to have to go to school for another two years, and I worry that the counseling itself would be too emotionally taxing for me.

Can anyone offer their opinions and/or experiences? I feel like I'm getting closer, but I still have worries.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As soon as I read the first lines of your post I thought psychologist. I'm not even kidding. I didn't even know you'd thought of it yourself. It sounds like something you'd be really good at because you are sensitive, and you do get really invested, and because you have such an amazing, analytic, logical mind. Plus, you set your own hours basically because you set up the appointments. There's no big scary boss looming over you, because the boss you do have will make it a priority to keep the work place calm, quiet, soothing, and friendly. I say go for it. Go for psychology/counseling. I believe you've got what it takes. I was going to go into it, but I decided to pursue other things and three colleges later with no degree- you better believe I'm not happy about it. Maybe if I'd kept doing what I have always done since I was a wee child- counseling that is, then I'd have a career right now haha. Anyways, it's not going to hurt to try it out, if you really want to you can switch back to computer science later then you probably can.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts