Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m looking for some advice on career options and possibly life generally. I’m a male ISFJ in my mid-20s, living in South West England.

I currently work as a Software Developer. I feel like this is a badly suited career option for me, because I am unable to embrace my feelings and I am overworking my tertiary function of thinking. I’ve done well to get as far as I have, but I don’t think I can progress much further (become a Senior Developer) due to the extra thinking and technical knowledge required.

I also think this job is not very good for my physical and mental health. I sometimes get anxiety and low mood, but I think this can sometimes be blamed due to the job being very logical and not allowing me to show my caring side. I feel drained coming home each day, and I don’t have much motivation to progress as a Software Developer.

I think I just need a more practical job, but I’m not sure what. I like the sound of being a dentist, nurse, counselor or therapist but these jobs require a degree which I don’t have. I don’t mind studying or getting work experience, but 3 years full time would be a bit too much. Working with animals or in a care home would be nice, but these jobs pay a bit less than what I would be hoping for (around £25k and above would be ideal, although I could accept less to begin with).

Therefore, does anyone have any other suggestions on career options please? I think a job with some sort of skill and a bit of human interaction is required. I can be shy around people who I don’t know, but I am normally good at remembering facts about people.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello!

I work in a blue-collar manufacturing facility and am really enjoying it! Although I have a degree and could work elsewhere, I really don't want to because of the people. I've met some of the most down-to-earth people at my work who enjoy the simple things of life like I do and aren't carried away pursuing money, power, or prestige. Some coworkers are like a second family to me and we've been able to support each other through family hardships, illnesses, you name it. A simple environment like this is great for the ol' Fe to thrive, and I get to serve coworkers and connect with them all day long. Technical/electronic manufacturing can require more skill and in turn provide more wages, so it's not a dead-end sector either. :)

·
Registered
ENTP 3w4 so/sx
2,841 Posts
I was thinking that volunteering in your spare time could help fill some of the void without taking much of a pay cut. Could be fulfilling and help you meet some more like-minded people as you do research on what jobs might suit you better.

·
Registered
INFJ
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies.

I work in a blue-collar manufacturing facility and am really enjoying it! Although I have a degree and could work elsewhere, I really don't want to because of the people. I've met some of the most down-to-earth people at my work who enjoy the simple things of life like I do and aren't carried away pursuing money, power, or prestige.
I'm not sure if blue-collar manufacturing is something I would enjoy, but it definitely is something that I will consider. I agree with what you're saying about enjoying the simple things in life; instead, I work with a job that requires a lot of logic and technical knowledge, yet ironically, I'm not the best logical thinker! Having that sort of family environment would be really nice.

I was thinking that volunteering in your spare time could help fill some of the void without taking much of a pay cut. Could be fulfilling and help you meet some more like-minded people as you do research on what jobs might suit you better.
I think you're right. I need to do some volunteering to find out what I enjoy more, this will also help me to feel like I've got a more meaningful life as well.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Librarian? Paralegal? Social worker/probation officer? Hotel work? Executive officer/office administrator?

Sorry, I'm not in the US so not sure if these suggestions fit your salary preferences. I'm an isfj though and I relate to what you said. I worked in counselling for many years and enjoyed it-but recently transitioned into a different area -more on the mass communications side.

I don't kmany isfjs software developers...It's good that you're seeking something that's more suited to your personality.

·
Registered
INFJ
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Librarian? Paralegal? Social worker/probation officer? Hotel work? Executive officer/office administrator?

Sorry, I'm not in the US so not sure if these suggestions fit your salary preferences. I'm an isfj though and I relate to what you said. I worked in counselling for many years and enjoyed it-but recently transitioned into a different area -more on the mass communications side.

I don't kmany isfjs software developers...It's good that you're seeking something that's more suited to your personality.
I was thinking of Librarian the other day, but where I am, a lot of libraries are closing down due to people not using them! That's definitely the kind of thing I would be interested in though, so perhaps there's something similar to this I can find.

Social worker would be good but the salaries aren't great. Never thought of a probation officer, but that sounds interesting and rewarding.

I could imagine myself as an Executive officer/manager of a small team, but might struggle a bit more with working with people outside of the team/department I am used it.

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't think changing is going to be a quick thing for me either way. I think taking small steps with volunteering will be the best way to change. Will definitely try to find volunteering opportunities in what you've listed here though. I don't know any ISFJs either as Software Developers, my colleagues are mostly ESFJs, ESTJs, ISTJs and INTPs. I get on with them, but don't always fit in. Wish I'd learned about Myers-Briggs when I was still at school, but oh well, can't turn back the clock!

·
Registered
INFJ
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Changes

For anyone interested, I ended up changing careers and getting my life on the right track after a mental health breakdown. You can read more on the forum post 'Your Life as Software Developer' in the ISFJ section (I'm not allowed to link as have under 15 posts!). :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts