Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main source of anxiety of late has been deciding what career I should go into. I have found that I am very interested in psychology, and have been for quite some time. The branch in which my intellect would best be utilized however, eludes me entirely.

What are my fellow INTJ's opinions on this?

What are some of the Careers that you have chosen, how did you decide to get into them, and have they all been consistent to the careers indicated to be good fits to your type?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
At this point I plan on being a Composition major (music). For awhile I was going to be a watchmaker and go to a technical school for that before reverting back to my original plan. Just do what you love. For me, I love music and I'm a casual gamer, so I hope to make scores for video games. Not sure what other advice I could give you :/

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this point I plan on being a Composition major (music). For awhile I was going to be a watchmaker and go to a technical school for that before reverting back to my original plan. Just do what you love. For me, I love music and I'm a casual gamer, so I hope to make scores for video games. Not sure what other advice I could give you :/
Thank you. I personally cannot honestly say that I am "in love" with anything specific. Interests.. But nothing I am terribly passionate about, thus, formal studies have been placed on hold. Working for other people doesn't seem all that fullfilling to me... But untill I figure out something I would enjoy enough to risk starting a business on, I think studies in areas of interest such as psychology and the practical application of them would make sense.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hmmmm. That is a tough one, well, you could just choose something you are good at then. Are you particularly good at anything? Don't be modest.

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
The career I have chosen is on his list if that means anything. :happy:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers!

Hmmmm. That is a tough one, well, you could just choose something you are good at then. Are you particularly good at anything? Don't be modest.
I am good at complex problem solving, deduction (in the investigatory sense) and carrying out studies and research on my own accord. I certainly don't feel the need for grouchy professors to teach me everything ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Everything I have done from volunteering when I was young to work after college (this excludes part-time during college to pay rent) continually came back to working with and/or children.

volunteering: one-on-one tutor / mentor, camp counselor, day camp counselor

work:
newspaper reporter ... moved into creating a program for teachers to use the newspaper as a textbook, wrote education articles

psychiatric hospital marketing department ... turned my focus to link the hospital with community professionals to create programs for kids

artist in residence at a community arts council ... started teaching children how to write poetry

teacher ... speaks for itself

move to Japan to teach English .. at the time it was not an educational-minded career decision, but through graduate school focused my interest in children learning foreign languages

I use my INTJ-ness to develop jobs I enjoy and have come back time and again to work on the behalf of kids. I have never approach my job seeking as "I like to analyze" so therefore I want "this kind" of job. More than anything, you need autonomy in order to find out what you like. I would suggest to not find a rank and file type of job where there is a group of individuals who have the same title as you. As time passes, I hope you can find any sort of underlying source of enjoyment/empowerment.

Now I am a professor. I am sure it is on an INTJ career list. Fits my character well.

Good luck in your future!

·
Registered
127 Posts
My main source of anxiety of late has been deciding what career I should go into. I have found that I am very interested in psychology, and have been for quite some time. The branch in which my intellect would best be utilized however, eludes me entirely.

What are my fellow INTJ's opinions on this?

What are some of the Careers that you have chosen, how did you decide to get into them, and have they all been consistent to the careers indicated to be good fits to your type?
But you are such an old man; shouldn't you be thinking about retirement?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Everything I have done from volunteering when I was young to work after college (this excludes part-time during college to pay rent) continually came back to working with and/or children.

volunteering: one-on-one tutor / mentor, camp counselor, day camp counselor

work:
newspaper reporter ... moved into creating a program for teachers to use the newspaper as a textbook, wrote education articles

psychiatric hospital marketing department ... turned my focus to link the hospital with community professionals to create programs for kids

artist in residence at a community arts council ... started teaching children how to write poetry

teacher ... speaks for itself

move to Japan to teach English .. at the time it was not an educational-minded career decision, but through graduate school focused my interest in children learning foreign languages

I use my INTJ-ness to develop jobs I enjoy and have come back time and again to work on the behalf of kids. I have never approach my job seeking as "I like to analyze" so therefore I want "this kind" of job. More than anything, you need autonomy in order to find out what you like. I would suggest to not find a rank and file type of job where there is a group of individuals who have the same title as you. As time passes, I hope you can find any sort of underlying source of enjoyment/empowerment.

Now I am a professor. I am sure it is on an INTJ career list. Fits my character well.

Good luck in your future!
I'd like to have a wide vareity of jobs like this. Having one type job for the rest of my life sounds horribly boring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
project managers are a good one as they are literally masterminds and its a role utilized in numerous areas (telecom, construction, financial, military, etc), they oversee without actually being responsible for people as a supervisor which an ENTJ would be more into

·
Registered
771 Posts
(as i dont work, for the here and now, with the cfs/me lurgy)

let me add I am 40 save you lot oogling/looking..shall be typed in fragments also as you lot will know what i mean

When I was at school I had no idea what I wanted to do...is this common in you lot?

Infact ive a twin sister and she is IXFX (look how would I know shes quite mad in her own ways) – she did her first degree in accounts :s

So where was I yes the teachers used to ask is jamie going being into today and eventually she be like dunno..is what I thought of school Id jump on a bus and travel length breadth of Scotland during school hours 

Anyhoos I started 6th year at school (UK - more Scottish thingie( Higher levels/A levels 5th 6th year)
And promptly left
).75 Years out (whilst working partime in supermarket)
Id be 17/18 and went meh college/uni for chemistry for first degree
Another 5 years college after that engineering/ materials – whislt working full time

I found these 7 years curious
My eventual positions quality manager materials – perhaps that was to offset business and the nature of which is quite appalling and E’s realized they need a sentient (sanity / reason) voice there.

So in conclusion career* wise I am still clueless re what would interest me and what I would love to do as opposed to pretend to do to get my rocks off over my ego

*Career is an abstract concept I cant understand for a seemingly evolved world order**
**world order is flawed (tis driven by those other types yes em) and the world clearly feked

Perhaps in times long,long ago, they new exactly what they were doing and were a cut above most of us lot.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You could be a private investigator :p

You could be a writer, I think that would be a good idea. Assuming you can tolerate writing for long periods of time (enough to write a book).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
interesting paths you all have taken... The idea of one job the rest of my life blows my mind. No way I could do it. That is part of the reason I like the idea of getting into psychology. Along the way to receiving a Doctorate, there are many different jobs that you become eligible for along the way. And, of course, the Doctorate itself is quite versatile. The jobs that it would entail are not exceptionally high paying, but I could live forever on 30,000 a year.

Its the studies and the systematic decryption of the complexities of the human mind that really gets me going. So many intense variables to consider in every unique person, and trying to pull out the one cause and effect that is of concern and determining how to right the issue... Sounds fun. Listening to sad people jabber my ear off, as in a counseling situation... day after day... That could get old, but there is always investigative psychology, or research to go to after that. Could always be working on a book in the mean time. Maybe get a business license later on, and start my own practice, hire great psychologists and play business matermind for a stretch.

the idea of having no free time, and working and going to school full time for as many as 10 years has been a hangup for me, though on further thinking of this issue, I usually end up not doing anything much with my free time anyways... Other than researching interests, reading textbooks, graduate essays... might as well eh? haha:laughing:

I recall someone once telling me of a type of school loan, in which you can take out a hefty sum to pay for school, and you don't have to begin making payments until you no longer are attending classes. Did this sort of thing die with the economy?:dry:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But you are such an old man; shouldn't you be thinking about retirement?
My avatar photo is a picture of Pablo Picasso. I am 20 years old, and harbor far less wrinkles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts