Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 514
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I was just sitting down thinking about what I wanted to be when I am older, and then a thought popped in my head.
Now, I just want to see what everyone's future aspirations were, and what they wanted to accomplish throughout their life.
If you want, please specify your type as well.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 514
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hope to become a teacher within the next couple of years, and hopefully teach kids in various different countries.
I'm planning on starting in the Elementary route (not for totally altruistic reasons mind you, the elementary teaching course is cheaper), but then working my way up to high school. Hopefully by the time I get older, I can reach a university position, and then teach a history course somewhere.

For me growing up, school was pretty much the only constant factor in my life. No matter how many times I've moved, or how many friends I have lost along the way, at least school (no matter where you went) never really changed. The routine stayed the same, and I really came to rely on that stability.

As such, many of the teachers became a part of my family, and some of the only people I could count on.
I just hope that I can repay the favour. Even if I can help one kid and make his/her life better, and to make sure that they don't end up making the same mistakes as me, that would be enough to make me fufilled.

One of the other goals in my life is to start a stable relationship with someone.
I always kind of felt empty being alone, and while I am not desperate for a relationship or anything, it would be a nice feeling to have someone watching your back for once.

·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
610 Posts
My dreams might be seen a bit unrealistic and maybe rushed, but I'm still willing to strive for them. I really want to live the most out of my twenties.

I hope to establish myself as an architect and designer. After graduation, I'm hoping to work under a respectable designer who I'd be able to grow and learn from while observing how they work. I'd love to take on various challenges and different types projects.

I hope to practice art and grow more artistically. I sadly dismissed it for a while, but I've noticed drawing really really makes me happy. Whether as a hobby or professionally, i need art in my life.
I'm aiming to get my master's by the age of 30. And later on try to take bigger steps in my career.

As for relationships, I'm only interested in serious stable ones. Preferably getting married by mid-20s.
I deeply care for family... and I aim to balance between what I consider as "home" and "my dreams".

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5
25 Posts
"One of the other goals in my life is to start a stable relationship with someone.
I always kind of felt empty being alone, and while I am not desperate for a relationship or anything, it would be a nice feeling to have someone watching your back for once."

I feel this way too.

Careerwise, things haven't quite worked out in alignment with my dreams.

I started out as a French major in college in the early 80s. I wanted to be a translator or maybe work for a magazine in Paris. In 1985 my alcoholic mother got remarried and I lost my financial aid package. That ended that dream and I started doing clerical work. Several years and dead end jobs later, I got real sick and had to go on disability. Then I qualified for a rehabilitation program and could go back to college. I decided to major in Geography with a concentration in meteorology. A little more practical of a goal, and I thought it would be cool to keep statistical weather data and make maps. I went to school full time and I worked part time and when I got to the upper level courses, the stress of it all made me get sick again. I've been on disability and working part time in clerical jobs ever since.

Now I've got 10 years to go until I hit 65. I have a book called Do What You Are, which is how to find a job in line with your MBT. One of the jobs for my type (INFJ) is writer, which has always fascinated me. Now my goal is to stick it out for another 10 years and then take some writing courses at the local state college. Public college tuition is a lot cheaper when you hit retirement age.

Interesting topic.

·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
610 Posts
I find your dream quite admirable, wishing you all the best! May you become one of the absolute best history teachers whose students would remember and admire decades after graduating!

·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
610 Posts
I believe in you @sibersonique, I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job writing your book! Rooting for you!
The fact you managed to stand up every time something tried to push you down is extremely admirable, you're an amazing person!

Reactions: sibersonique

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 514
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I find your dream quite admirable, wishing you all the best! May you become one of the absolute best history teachers whose students would remember and admire decades after graduating!
Thanks.
I find your dream of being a designer/architect really cool. It’s definitely unique, and I’m sure you will be a good one :)
I also find your goal of being married during your 20s pretty cool. It’s not a very common thing for girls nowadays and I find it really commendable. Hopefully you find someone someday.

Reactions: passionate

·
Registered
ENFP 2w3 sp/so
610 Posts
Thanks.
I find your dream of being a designer/architect really cool. It’s definitely unique, and I’m sure you will be a good one :)
I also find your goal of being married during your 20s pretty cool. It’s not a very common thing for girls nowadays and I find it really commendable. Hopefully you find someone someday.
Thank you so much! ⛅
Hehe yeah hopefully. It's mostly because of how I view relationships. Been avoiding them since forever because I won't be able to handle investing my emotions on something temporary. So I just focused on myself, my growth and those around me.
Leaving those kind of thoughts in the back of my head. Once I meet the right person we'll think of it seriously hahaha!

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,350 Posts
Hello everyone.
I was just sitting down thinking about what I wanted to be when I am older, and then a thought popped in my head.
Now, I just want to see what everyone's future aspirations were, and what they wanted to accomplish throughout their life.
If you want, please specify your type as well.
When I was your age, I had just gotten out of the US Navy and was planning to matriculate to University in the Fall. I had volunteered at an elementary school for military kids. They need role models because one (or both) of their parents are constantly being deployed, so I spent 1 day a week for about 5 months visiting their classroom and helping the teacher. It was so much fun. I thought going to school to be a teacher would be my destiny. I breezed through the coursework and was certified to teach English/Drama/Speech grades 7-12 (additional certification in computer literacy and computer applications). Teaching sounds great, until you have to actually DO IT. Then you find out there are a million different bits of administrivia and bureaucracy that have to be navigated daily just to get through the day that have very little to do with actually teaching. There are tasks you find in your box after lunch that have to be completed by the end of the day, massive preparations that have to be done in the hours outside of work, and reasons why you may have to show up a couple hours before the kids get there. Add to this that they don't give you much of a budget for paper, supplies, or anything, and you have to supplement that from your own pocket. I gave out extra credit points for boxes of tissues because the school couldn't supply me with any. I had a case of paper for an entire semester. That's 5,000 sheets of paper for 5 months for approximately 250 kids. Believe me, it runs out FAST! You have to either buy your own, or beg, borrow, or steal to get more. My first teaching job in 1998 paid $20,000.00 a year, plus benefits. I got about $500.00 a paycheck after taxes. My second teaching job paid $32,000.00 a year.

Needless to say, I lasted as a teacher for 2 years and sought life elsewhere. Being a veteran with a college degree (any college degree) got me in doors I might not have otherwise gotten into. I went into IT because I am really good with computers and networks. I used this to get a job working at the Dell Helpdesk (before they moved to India) then I worked helping pharmaceutical reps with their laptops. Then I worked for a couple of contractors upgrading computers for large companies at night. Then I worked for CVS Pharmacy, installing all their tech from the phone wall out. Then I got a job helping to implement new administration software for a courthouse. Finally, I got a job with a global ISP that uses satellites. I've been there for 15 years. In that time, I added a MS in Computer Information Systems and moved from working as a cable monkey at a data center to helping to run the Network Management Center. I now help push data and monitor the network for threats and I'm making decent money, not great, but decent. I have a lot of freedom within a loose structure. I get to solve problems every day. I bring different groups together to help me. I maintain trouble tickets, and take calls. I have great benefits and I don't dread going to work every day. That's a win for me.

Any questions?

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 514
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"One of the other goals in my life is to start a stable relationship with someone.
I always kind of felt empty being alone, and while I am not desperate for a relationship or anything, it would be a nice feeling to have someone watching your back for once."

I feel this way too.

Careerwise, things haven't quite worked out in alignment with my dreams.

I started out as a French major in college in the early 80s. I wanted to be a translator or maybe work for a magazine in Paris. In 1985 my alcoholic mother got remarried and I lost my financial aid package. That ended that dream and I started doing clerical work. Several years and dead end jobs later, I got real sick and had to go on disability. Then I qualified for a rehabilitation program and could go back to college. I decided to major in Geography with a concentration in meteorology. A little more practical of a goal, and I thought it would be cool to keep statistical weather data and make maps. I went to school full time and I worked part time and when I got to the upper level courses, the stress of it all made me get sick again. I've been on disability and working part time in clerical jobs ever since.

Now I've got 10 years to go until I hit 65. I have a book called Do What You Are, which is how to find a job in line with your MBT. One of the jobs for my type (INFJ) is writer, which has always fascinated me. Now my goal is to stick it out for another 10 years and then take some writing courses at the local state college. Public college tuition is a lot cheaper when you hit retirement age.

Interesting topic.
That's great to hear. I was always interested in writing a novel of some kind as well, so it is kind of nice to find someone who actually did it.
I always liked reading non-fiction, and then putting myself in the shoes of whoever the focus of the story was.
It might be just as much fun to write a new story.

It's unfortunate you got sick, but maybe that misfortune opened up a lot of opportunities for you.
From one aspiring writer to another, I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: sibersonique

·
Registered
INTP
3,834 Posts
Some of you have read parts of this before....

I was raised in the 50s and 60s, and I wanted to be a housewife. The world changed quickly and I had to work. I dropped out of high school and did many "low" jobs.

Finally I got a university degree and ESL/EFL teacher certificate. It was hard to get a job in Canada, and I taught in other countries for several years. Teaching was better than the other jobs, but I wasn't really suited to it because I'm not a people person.

Finally at age 50 I found myself in an isolated place with no jobs nearby. Since I was "good at English" and had access to a computer, I decided to become a freelance editor. That worked out well for me. The work was irregular, and I made less than a minimum wage worker each year. But I always had enough money for rent and necessities. I loved being my own boss and working from home ALONE.

I'm INTP. Now I'm retired, and that is the best.

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
164 Posts
Ever since I was a little girl I always found it hard to pick a career that wasn't just a half cooked up idea.
But I have always loved writing and I want to teach people what writing really means and how it can help and inspire you. So I want to be a creating writing teacher and inspire people to create what they feel and something they love.

·
Registered
ISTP; 9w8/4w3/7w8 sx/so
46 Posts
I don't have a clear idea of what I want to do in my future, I know I will work in the environmental sector, probably something related to forestry and the green economy, but I have no clue about what I want to do specifically; I think I'll just get whatever job comes my way and find out what I really want to do from there, just like I'm building up my academic career in university, by chasing whatever seems more appealing to me at the moment. I like the idea of working to protect the environment, I think it's the most important thing we have and if your environment is unsafe, unhealthy and degraded to the point that you can't live in it anymore, any other desire or dream you might have makes no sense, because there won't be a place where you'll be able to work for it

Aside from job, I just want to do whatever I enjoy, keep my peace of mind and be as free as possible from responsibilities. I would like to keep on drawing and writing as I'm doing now, maybe also publish something, but I don't know if my skills will ever be good enough for me to feel comfortable in publishing a book. I hope to never be alone and have always someone by my side

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm an INFJ. My aspiration is to be a big-shot filmmaker. Maybe a cinematographer (that's what I'm going with at the moment).

I know that I'm going to work in the film industry... why? Because sometimes I wake up at night with desire ( it's not sexual!): it's desire to take the world by storm and leave my mark and be big. To create things that are so beautiful. To change the world for the better. I feel a physical longing for greatness, it's really, really weird.

It's like: I just want to fill up the whole world!

I want people to remember me. I want a legacy. So many people live quietly and slip away never to be heard of again, and life feels so precious because I have this one shot, this one chance, just under one hundred years give or take to make my mark and change the world for the better. I put myself under so much pressure but I love pressure! I love pressure so much. It makes me feel like I'm doing something, I have the power to do something, I'm powerful. If I end up shinning bright for just a moment before fizzling out then let me make a bright and spectacular display, like a shooting star, crashing and burning but silencing the whole world for just one moment. Just one moment.

God! I don't think anyone could relate to that feeling. Can you?

I know that the film industry is hard to break into and the chances of me reaching the career goals I envision myself in now in 20 years time are slim, but I'm confident that I won't settle for anything less than what I want, and if I end up a wedding videographer then that will be okay. I'll find other ways of satisfying my passion.

I've got so much passion for life sometimes I don't know what to do with myself.

I spent way longer than I should have writing this because I feel like every word has to count.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,058 Posts
I wanted to be a novelist, or an actor... or a film director.... or animator... or a games developer.... or a comic book artist.... or a biologist.... or an editor.... or a painter ... or a composer.... or a sculptor... or .... well, you get the point. I've wanted to be a lot of things.

I guess one of my bigger dreams was to establish an animation studio that would strive to be the UK's equivalent of Ghibli in terms of quality, and raise the standards of western animation.
I also want to finish my 20+ stories and I'd hope at least one of them would leave some kind of lasting impression. I want to leave some kind of cultural imprint I guess.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I want to be the best version of myself, that's my only long-term goal. Currently I am writing a novel but don't know if that's what I want to do forever. I just want to keep improving in general.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts