Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all heard the suggested jobs for each of the different personality types but I want to know how it plays out in real life. For me all of the suggestions of sciences, medical, and engineering seem interesting but none of my abilities lie in those areas. It's always been apparent I'm not creative or social enough to be any form of artist or teacher and not smart enough to be a science person with a field of devotion. So I'm wondering what careers you have chosen (or what you think you will chose), why chose it, and if it makes you happy (or why you think it will make you happy).

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
I'm probably set to be a teacher, at some point. Specifically a college professor, since I dislike conventional schooling up to college and don't work as well with immature students unless they actually want to learn. It's not really what I want to do, though; I'd like to be an author, but I don't know yet what to write about, and I'm never satisfied with any of my book ideas - and I'd also like to be a research scientist, which a college environment will lend itself to.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
We've all heard the suggested jobs for each of the different personality types but I want to know how it plays out in real life. For me all of the suggestions of sciences, medical, and engineering seem interesting but none of my abilities lie in those areas. It's always been apparent I'm not creative or social enough to be any form of artist or teacher and not smart enough to be a science person with a field of devotion. So I'm wondering what careers you have chosen (or what you think you will chose), why chose it, and if it makes you happy (or why you think it will make you happy).
My desired careers have always been something on the not-for-profit, grassroots level but beyond that I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. All I knew was that I wanted something with variety and not a complete desk job. I ended up as a counselor in a not-for-profit. It's a really good fit for me both because it's in a field I love and research outside of work and I haven't shown any sign of losing interest; and because it's also in a collective (so we have no boss - we're accountable to our board and one another) where I make my own hours, pick my own appointment times, and get a lot of sick/vacation time to make up for the low pay.

I chose this career because I knew it was in a field I was really passionate about. I started out doing pretty basic front desk work in the same agency, but slowly got more involved and changed positions a few times. It makes me extremely happy to be doing this work. I love counseling and I love working with my clients. I get a lot out of it and can't really imagine what else I would want to do. I get a lot of positive feedback from clients I work with so they really helped solidify that I'm in the right field.

Even if I wasn't working in the agency I currently am, I would still continue to pursue counseling although I probably wouldn't enjoy it to the same degree because I wouldn't have the same freedom I currently do.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm in college now, studying International Relation but I think it will only stop there. I'm a wiz in discerning and calculating political motives and strategies but I'm too anxious to actually dive into action. I want to be a writer, I already have a few storyline. My psychologist, my aunt that have connections with publishers have promise to introduce me with an editor when I'm finish with a book. My teacher, who already publish one promise me will give me tips on how to self-publish. I already consulted with a writer who is a friend of my mom, and he said I'm already doing fine. I'm very passionate about writing and hoping could make my hobby as my job. "It's a jobby." Quoting Graham Coxon, one of the greatest guitarist of all time from 90's band Blur.
But making art as a primer job is a bit risky, the salary fluctuates and there's no guarantee our work will be favor by people. So probably in the future I'll be active in UN while writing in my spare time.
I bet you'll have a niche someday, it doesn't have to be something tangible like proficient in the arts. Or scientific know-how. You could be a critique, a shaman, or even an actor. 5's could be anything they want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts