Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Type 9
– When you ask a young nine what they want to be when they grow up, he may give you an answer like, “myself” or “I don’t care.” Don’t be surprised. Nines often aren’t “career” oriented, especially at younger ages. Sometimes they are so laid-back about life that they can be content anywhere. That doesn’t mean that they will be happy with or succeed at any old job, but it does mean that this type has some career flexibility. It’s important that a nine do something productive so they don’t end up sitting around all day and letting life pass them by.

Suggested Careers for Nines: The more stress-free the career, the better.

• Product Tester
  • Electronics/Automotive Salesperson
  • Retail Clerk
  • Delivery Driver
  • School Counselor
  • Teacher/Professor
  • Animal Trainer/Veterinarian
  • Film Editor
  • Musician/Musical Instructor(9′s almost universally love music)
  • Writer
  • Clothing Designer
  • Artist

Career Choices for Enneagram Types – The Great Office Escape

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Type 9 – You are very laid back about work, and as such, prefer a slow-paced environment where you can dress as you like (and maybe even come and go as you like!) It’s important for you to avoid places where there are too many pointless rules and too many harsh people. Unfortunately, this is common in the working world. Deep down, most 9′s would rather not work at all. There is nothing inherently wrong with this, but unfortunately the rest of the world doesn’t seem to agree. If you can find a way out of the 9-to-5 life, you’ll be happier.
Careers for 9′s to Avoid

• Investment Banker
  • Police Officer/Government Agent
  • Mid-level Manager at a large company
  • Administrative Assistant/Secretary
  • Short-order Cook
  • Construction Foreman
  • Waiter/Waitress

Bad Career Choices and the Enneagram – The Great Office Escape

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you can find a way out of the 9-to-5 life, you’ll be happier.
I definitely relate to that. The thought of a typical 9-to-5, cubical office job is just awful. I'm glad to see teacher's on the list of good jobs though, because that's what I want to be.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
There seems to be something about this and calling 9s lazy and unwilling to work. >_>'

Also:

Product Tester = Highly stressful job. Not likely for 9s to enjoy.
Electronics/Automotive Salesperson - Tricking people by manipulation them and lying. Not likely for 9s to enjoy.
Retail Clerk - Angry people yelling at you and stressing you up. Not likely for 9s to enjoy.
Teacher/Professor - Kids tend to argue with their teachers and be mean and stuff. I'd say a 50/50 based on how the kids are where you teach.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Type 9 – When you ask a young nine what they want to be when they grow up, he may give you an answer like, “myself” or “I don’t care.” Don’t be surprised. Nines often aren’t “career” oriented, especially at younger ages.

I'd say this was pretty true of me at a younger age--in our pre-school yearbook, when they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up, I followed everyone else and said that I'd like to be a "mother" (ha!) I think with time and self analysis, though, we tend to be a little more proactive in choosing careers and following things we're passionate about. I am much more career oriented now than I was even a few years ago.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel like some of those jobs are actually pretty stressful, and lots of hours...like investment banking.

But even more, I feel like these ignore that 9 integrates to 3. So while an average 9 may be happy with a low stress and free job, I feel like an integrating 9 will start to feel restless and like they are underachieving.

But I can definitely relate to the working outside of 9 to 5. If I could get a good paying job with more flexible hours Id be all over it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can definitely relate a lot to the avoiding working 9 to 5 thing. The more I work and learn about work the more I'm thinking the most important thing to me is working as little as possible, as I don't need a lot of money and can do fine with a small amount, while having free time is much more important to me.

Speaking of, does anyone have any recommendations for jobs with more free time? I've always thought teaching would work well for this, not to mention I think I'd enjoy it, so I think it's the area I will pursue.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I can definitely relate a lot to the avoiding working 9 to 5 thing. The more I work and learn about work the more I'm thinking the most important thing to me is working as little as possible, as I don't need a lot of money and can do fine with a small amount, while having free time is much more important to me.

Speaking of, does anyone have any recommendations for jobs with more free time? I've always thought teaching would work well for this, not to mention I think I'd enjoy it, so I think it's the area I will pursue.
Couldn't say it better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Happy to admit that the more relaxed a position is, the more pleased I am to be in it. Typical nine, right there. Even if I daydream of loafing, achieving something is a reward in and of itself; that might be the integrating into three talking, but it's true. Working hard is not necessarily a bane, though working in chaos and conflict would send me straying away sooner or later and so would drudgery.

Working a typical nine to five would be drudgery - the idea of a lack of variety is discouraging, but the idea of a lack of freedom is outright deflating. Having some means of choice in a job is important, because it allows for not only making good choices but the best choices. Risk and reward come with fulfillment. The thrill of achieving something and not having to achieve it the same way twice is a truly excellent gift since it inspires possibility.

The one bonus to a job that would be the same day in and day out would be the stability. Sense of stability is nice, but it's not always good if it just causes stagnation. A job with ample opportunity for freedom and security is ideal, if hard to come by - here's hoping for a happy medium!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
But even more, I feel like these ignore that 9 integrates to 3. So while an average 9 may be happy with a low stress and free job, I feel like an integrating 9 will start to feel restless and like they are underachieving.
Yes yes yes! I'm definitely with you on that one. That being said, I have waitressed and loved it. I've also taught and loved it. (Despite that any of these jobs will lead to conflict -- every job does if it involves interacting with people, yet I know that if I'm NOT working with people to help them in someway I just get depressed and hate my job even more). The reason I've loved both of them is because I felt like I was really achieving something. It fulfilled me and looking back to it now I can clearly see my integration to 3.

I do definitely relate to not working a 9 to 5 job. That's actually my goal to just work for myself.

Reactions: tkdyo

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I should have learned about this whole personality stuff thirty years ago when I embarked upon a path that led me into the tax advice/accountancy world. I tried to make it work for decades on end and its only a few years ago that I figured out I should have been doing something entirely different.

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,836 Posts
Gee I wouldn't even know where to start on this.
How about abandoning the whole career notion.
It is a Si construct.
The idea that you get your career and stay in your nice little box for the rest of your life.
Maybe climb some rigged ladder and try to please people in authority.
Bah humbug.
How bout one just invent ones life yourself find something that one likes and find a way to make it work.
Oh no the Si people have already rigged the system to punish those that do that.
Well I'll play poker then and take my fill of people gambling their money away.

Reactions: shalom

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Gee I wouldn't even know where to start on this.
How about abandoning the whole career notion.
It is a Si construct.
The idea that you get your career and stay in your nice little box for the rest of your life.
Maybe climb some rigged ladder and try to please people in authority.
Bah humbug.
How bout one just invent ones life yourself find something that one likes and find a way to make it work.
Oh no the Si people have already rigged the system to punish those that do that.
Well I'll play poker then and take my fill of people gambling their money away.
Actually, if anything it would be a Te construct...
Beyond that tho, enjoying something and "fitting" for it are different things. There are for example many assholes who become teachers, social workers or psychologists because they enjoy it, doesnt mean that they fit into that environment.

This is a thing that originated from communism. "Being the piece that society needs you to be" so to speak. It might not be your dream job, but you "fit" for it.

On another note tho, it might always be of help for those like me who have no ambition at all and just go with the flow as it at least creates some form of structure.
Enneagrams however might have more impact tho on how you feel about your job than MBTI tho. I had a theory for example that a job within security would work well for enneagram 6s like @Herp as they already focus a lot on it.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
@Acerbusvenator,

Security as in Security Guard?

On the topic of job hunting, it feels like nowadays, the whole hierarchy system that our fathers were accoustumed to - where you enter an entry level job and work your ways towards management, and so on, is no longer that viable nowdays. One teacher of mine once mentioned that if you stayed on a single business for your whole career, how could you have an broad view of the current market - especially if you came from lower positions to management. The focus now seems to be bringing in people with worldly experince - those that played the job field deliberately and reaped the benefits of having experiences in multiple organizations.

As a six, I feel ambivalent to this. I do feel comfortable by having a clear-cut guideline where I'm sure of my tasks and the possible growth within. However, it seems like being in a regular business for too long is restraining from a job hunting viewpoint. I definitely look forward to work within the health agencies in my government, but if not, I'll have to play out the field.

·
Heretic
10,836 Posts
Actually, if anything it would be a Te construct...
Beyond that tho, enjoying something and "fitting" for it are different things. There are for example many assholes who become teachers, social workers or psychologists because they enjoy it, doesnt mean that they fit into that environment.

This is a thing that originated from communism. "Being the piece that society needs you to be" so to speak. It might not be your dream job, but you "fit" for it.

On another note tho, it might always be of help for those like me who have no ambition at all and just go with the flow as it at least creates some form of structure.
Enneagrams however might have more impact tho on how you feel about your job than MBTI tho. I had a theory for example that a job within security would work well for enneagram 6s like @Herp as they already focus a lot on it.
Yeah you are right it is the STJ's and their Te who have me thinking this way.
But for them the notion of a career, doing the same thing over and over apeals to their Si.

Anyway I like the way you describe how a best fit isn't nessicarily something you enjoy doing.
I've just ended a 7 month contract in kindergarden and some of the work I did there I hated.
However I was one of the ones best equipped to handle the tasks.
It just was no fun. Not that the job wasn't fun at times, but that was my own doing.
If I had just followed orders, it would have been a big drag.

It has me thinking from whos frame should we draw the agenda.
To me it stands to reason that if you let society set the agenda you will be miserable.
Not fitting in a position always comes down to societal restrictions.
Society don't care and have never cared about any individual in particular.
If the individual don't care about themself no one else will.
So it is better from your individual frame to enjoy yourself than to fit into any outside agenda.

Lack of ambition can be a hard thing to overcome.
But I dunno, doesn't amition flow from having huge goals?
If you set your sights "high" enough you will by default be ambitious.
Of course in the wake of high goals follow stress.
But it can be just as stressful feeling like a failiure for lack of goals.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
@Acerbusvenator,

Security as in Security Guard?
Was actually thinking more of the planning of security :)

Lack of ambition can be a hard thing to overcome.
But I dunno, doesn't amition flow from having huge goals?
If you set your sights "high" enough you will by default be ambitious.
Of course in the wake of high goals follow stress.
But it can be just as stressful feeling like a failiure for lack of goals.
Well, I am not a goal kind of person. :p
I only get temporary and extremely short goals which are usually about my friends and stuff, but not for work or such (obviously, my enneagram 3 sister doesn't comprehend that, lol).
Most of it tho is because I am unhealthy and living with an unhealthy family with both a sister and mother that kept telling me that I should either do so something perfectly or not do it at all quite much killed my ambition as you can't be perfect at something (without it being boring off.). Also, at the same time as they told me I was basically bad at everything, plus my already low self-confidence. :p

·
Heretic
10,836 Posts
Well, I am not a goal kind of person. :p
I only get temporary and extremely short goals which are usually about my friends and stuff, but not for work or such (obviously, my enneagram 3 sister doesn't comprehend that, lol).
Most of it tho is because I am unhealthy and living with an unhealthy family with both a sister and mother that kept telling me that I should either do so something perfectly or not do it at all quite much killed my ambition as you can't be perfect at something (without it being boring off.). Also, at the same time as they told me I was basically bad at everything, plus my already low self-confidence. :p
I just hate when people come in and try to dictate how perfect something should be.
Like I already have a standard I'm working towards, adding their standard on top just kills all fun.
I've experienced similar issues with meddling people.
My approach was to keep every goal that mattered a secret from the ones who would meddle.
But then again often times I was conditioned to tell everyone everything.

Being unhealthy sucks, but all you can do is find a path toward health that seems doable.
Creating space for transition so to speak.
With MBTI and Enneagram people around us should be so predictable that one can "hack" the situation to ones favor. ;)
Look for power vacuums where two controlling forces clash and keep each other in check.
That is what I do, I move in and use the "real estate" of that vacuum for all it is worth.
The surplus you gain can be used to grow even further.
It ain't easy, but it sure beats giving up.
Obviously I'm not in give-up-ville at this moment, but I've been there and know how that burden feels.
When every decision seems like it weighs a ton.
Take a shower? Man I dunno if I'm ready for such heavy burdens today. :bored:
I took a shower today, but I think I stared at that shower for like 5 minutes, before jumping in.
Tried to imagine how much hassle it would be doing it,
and how much less hassle it would be to just drop it and play LoL.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts