Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Type 3
– While it is true that threes enjoy professions in which they can rise to the top and run the show, what they really need is to feel admired and respected by their co-workers and peers. It is less important than you might think for a three to be “uber-successful.” Threes want to enjoy their jobs, like anyone else, but they also want to shine and make a contribution in their field. Getting employee of the month at a fairly menial job might be more important to a three than making a high salary but being ignored and taken for granted. They do, however, love to be around important and influential people.

Suggested Careers for Threes: A three will feel the best in a career with potential for promotion, advancement, a chance to shine, and a high salary ceiling.

• Performer/Entertainer
  • Agent (sports, travel, literary or insurance)
  • Public Relations Director
  • Attorney
  • Executive Assistant
  • Personal Assistant (but only to someone who is influential!)
  • Gossip Columnist
  • Salesperson
  • Political Activist (or even a straight-up politician)
  • Inspirational Speaker or Writer
  • Life and Business coach

Career Choices for Enneagram Types – The Great Office Escape

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Type 3 – As a 3, you like to know that you are getting somewhere with your life. Stagnation is your enemy, and so is feeling like nobody can see your progress. Part of the fun of success for a 3 is knowing that others are just a bit envious of your life. The world is your stage. And no actor wants to give their best performance to an empty theater. People are very important to you, so make sure that you head in a direction that gives you the ability to work with others, and especially allows you some degree of recognition.

Careers for 3′s to Avoid

• Humble Office Clerk (Any office job where you aren’t at or near the top)
  • Librarian
  • Computer Technician
  • Mechanic
  • Factory Worker
  • Technical Writer
  • Lighthouse Operator (Ok, so this is WAY out there!)

Bad Career Choices and the Enneagram – The Great Office Escape

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm considering as my top three choices right now (Junior in Highschool): Politician, Lawyer, and Professor.

Reactions: Fern and aphinion

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've been thinking about college a lot lately, and I'm leaning towards a double major of Business and Engineering. The funny part is that my type(s) don't seem to emphasize a science future. Maybe its just a personal thing.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm considering as my top three choices right now (Junior in Highschool): Politician, Lawyer, and Professor.
Why do we care how old you are?... And those were the exact same three I was contemplating at your age (among others).
You may wish to look into a position as a judge, as well. You'd have to start as a lawyer, obviously; but knowing where you want to end up is still beneficial. I'd strongly recommend a Poli Sci or Communications major. I swear-Pre Law is intensely overrated.

Regardless--lots of studying ahead of you, kid. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Why do we care how old you are?... And those were the exact same three I was contemplating at your age (among others).
You may wish to look into a position as a judge, as well. You'd have to start as a lawyer, obviously; but knowing where you want to end up is still beneficial. I'd strongly recommend a Poli Sci or Communications major. I swear-Pre Law is intensely overrated.

Regardless--lots of studying ahead of you, kid. Good luck.
My age explains why I haven't yet chosen a career, or have only invested a much less significant amount of thought into the choosing of one. If I was, say, 23 and considering those three careers, the context of my statement would be far different.

Poli Sci was definitely something I was looking into. If I went with "Politician" or "Lawyer" as a career route then I'd probably go for a JD anyways, which means my undergrad is almost completely irrelevant. I don't think I'd be all too wild about judgeship. It seems like a pointless cut in pay for a much less interesting job, and you've got to be a fairly competent lawyer in the first place, so why drop one career for another? I know quite a few judges, parents of my friends, and I always wondered why they chose the career. Either way, that's not really a choice in field. I'd have to actually be a lawyer first, which brings us back to undergraduates being pointless if you get a JD.

I'm thinking about IR, Ancient History, and Political Science. I'm thinking more of what I'd prefer to teach as a subject. If we assume that my three ideas of careers are the only three possible results, then my choice in undergrad only affects one of them. Might as well focus on that one. I'm looking at Cambridge as my first choice, and they've got loads of fucked up concentrations that seem entirely pointless, might end up doing one of those and then hopping into Harvard Law like my parents if I'm not in love with the subject. Maybe get a Masters in Business Administration as well.

As to pre-law being overrated. My father was a Philosophy/Religion major. Other then courses on ethics, there's almost no crossover to law. xD He still got into lawschool fine, and beat out many pre-law students that were probably much better students than he was. I guess they're going for diversity or something.

By the way, thanks for the well wishes!

Reactions: Fern

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My age explains why I haven't yet chosen a career, or have only invested a much less significant amount of thought into the choosing of one. If I was, say, 23 and considering those three careers, the context of my statement would be far different.

Poli Sci was definitely something I was looking into. If I went with "Politician" or "Lawyer" as a career route then I'd probably go for a JD anyways, which means my undergrad is almost completely irrelevant. I don't think I'd be all too wild about judgeship. It seems like a pointless cut in pay for a much less interesting job, and you've got to be a fairly competent lawyer in the first place, so why drop one career for another? I know quite a few judges, parents of my friends, and I always wondered why they chose the career. Either way, that's not really a choice in field. I'd have to actually be a lawyer first, which brings us back to undergraduates being pointless if you get a JD.

I'm thinking about IR, Ancient History, and Political Science. I'm thinking more of what I'd prefer to teach as a subject. If we assume that my three ideas of careers are the only three possible results, then my choice in undergrad only affects one of them. Might as well focus on that one. I'm looking at Cambridge as my first choice, and they've got loads of fucked up concentrations that seem entirely pointless, might end up doing one of those and then hopping into Harvard Law like my parents if I'm not in love with the subject. Maybe get a Masters in Business Administration as well.

As to pre-law being overrated. My father was a Philosophy/Religion major. Other then courses on ethics, there's almost no crossover to law. xD He still got into lawschool fine, and beat out many pre-law students that were probably much better students than he was. I guess they're going for diversity or something.

By the way, thanks for the well wishes!
I hope I didn't sound critical, because, honestly, you are much further along than most your age. It really sounds like you have it figured out

And you are quite welcome.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I prefer a fast-paced work environment that involves creative collaboration and brainstorming. I am and have proven adaptable to other kinds of work situations, but I generally do my best in that kind of setting.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I work for myself as a Massage Therapist and Bodyworker. I love it. My first career path was a librarian, which I did because my mother always wanted to be a librarian, so I thought if I fulfilled her dream for her, she could live vicariously through me and then she would love me. That was a very bad idea. I liked some parts of being a librarian, like being in the library. But I had lots of headaches. I got very little respect for what I did. No one even knows you need a Master's Degree to be a librarian. That was hard for me to swallow. And of course it didn't buy my mother's love. Going to school for Massage helped me to get in touch with my feelings in a much more conscious way and heal some of my traumas. And being an entrepreneur in the small town where I live has been wonderful for my self esteem and has helped me to get closer to living the life I want to live (success). It is important for me to be able to be with my children when they are with me (I'm a single mother) and to have a lot of autonomy in my career.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts