Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Type 7
– One place you will not find a happy seven is in an office on a beautiful summer day. In fact, you might not find a happy seven in an office on a nasty, stormy day either. They are more likely to be out there chasing the storm, taking pictures of it. But only for a week or two when they will happily go by the title “storm-chaser.” Sevens change direction, focus, and career so often that it’s difficult to even write this section for them. Unlike the other types, a “career” for a seven is often just a passing fancy that will change from one moment to the next, like the weather.

Suggested careers for Sevens: A seven will do well in self-employment or a “fun” job of some kind

• Small Business Owner (multiple businesses are often good)
  • Tour/Travel/Adventure guide
  • Travel-Writer
  • Artist/Musician
  • Food Critic
  • Comedian
  • Park Ranger
  • Professional Athlete
  • Dancer
  • Photographer
  • Professional Gambler
  • DJ
  • Nightclub Owner
  • Cruise Ship Entertainer

Career Choices for Enneagram Types – The Great Office Escape

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Type 7 – 7′s need to be constantly stimulated, excited, or have some sort of ongoing adventure they are passionate about. 7′s have a deep need for fun, and this comes before almost anything else. 7′s like to experience all life has to offer, and they will wear many hats in the process. They hate confinement and feeling like they are missing out on life. Therefore, as a 7, you should avoid these awful traps… I mean jobs:

Careers for 7′s to Avoid

• Office Clerk, Secretary, Administrative Assistant, manager, or anything else office-like
  • Accountant
  • Lawyer
  • Doctor
  • Customer Service Rep.
  • Debt Counselor
  • Librarian

Bad Career Choices and the Enneagram – The Great Office Escape

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm an engineer. I work in an office. I like it.

This is a rather superficial view on sevens.
I agree, especially because on the actual website lawyer is listed as "too much work" and doctor has "you'll never make it through med school" written beside it. So a 7 is incapable of putting effort into something now? What if that particular 7 is passionate about medical science or law? Also, it's not really practical for anyone to change careers as much as this person suggests sevens do, unless you're rich already.

It also suggests careers that would be great to have, but are very difficult to pull off, require huge risk, and have little security. Sure, it'd be fun to be a comedian or DJ, but how many people actually make a stable living off of things like that? A lot of the career suggestions I see for Type 7 seem to amount to "start your own business or hope to get famous"...it'd be nice to see something a little more realistic.

·
Registered
930 Posts
This is a little off, but I can see where the author's coming from.
Personally I want to be a psychologist, because then I can work with different people all day instead pf being stuck doing boring work or something. Obviously there'll be some of that but.. :p

Though I'd love to be a bartender which kind of ties into nightclub owner. I plan to get a part time job as one some point in uni.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
I'm an IT/management consultant. I love it and hate it, depending on what's going on during the day. The job itself requires a lot of picky detail work (here's a bug, it causes this to be off, which makes this wrong, which is why someone's bill came out wrong, etc), but it's also the serengeti, and tons of acquisitions to be made. I actually like the corporate world. I love pressing against people higher up to prove it can be done, being stimulated by sudden rushes of tasks you can sink into with your team, and yeah, the dough too.

Taking care of my people outside of work comes first - but a lot of the confidence in providing for them tangibly and emotionally comes from challenges on the job. I don't mind working in an office, or not being a lion tamer or whatever stupid suggestions people make about 7's. I think 7's need something that will easily give them the buzz they desire, within the frame of a job where it's okay to explore, because such exploration actually creates focus.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree, especially because on the actual website lawyer is listed as "too much work" and doctor has "you'll never make it through med school" written beside it. So a 7 is incapable of putting effort into something now? What if that particular 7 is passionate about medical science or law? Also, it's not really practical for anyone to change careers as much as this person suggests sevens do, unless you're rich already.

It also suggests careers that would be great to have, but are very difficult to pull off, require huge risk, and have little security. Sure, it'd be fun to be a comedian or DJ, but how many people actually make a stable living off of things like that? A lot of the career suggestions I see for Type 7 seem to amount to "start your own business or hope to get famous"...it'd be nice to see something a little more realistic.
Such descriptions always seem to me like that person is not taking the type seriously. It sounds like "well, those silly sevens can go off and do their silly and superfluous stuff". Superficiality means a lack of respect and of will to cooperate. It would be a lot more practical to tell sevens how they can approach any given job to be successful in it.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Such descriptions always seem to me like that person is not taking the type seriously. It sounds like "well, those silly sevens can go off and do their silly and superfluous stuff". Superficiality means a lack of respect and of will to cooperate. It would be a lot more practical to tell sevens how they can approach any given job to be successful in it.
It's more of a generalization than an absolute. There are some personality types that like to fit themselves into a predefined box so they think the descriptions are an end all solution. I see it as a general guideline and I personally don't mind working in an office if given enough freedom. I also don't mind working in an office when I see the extreme weather such as extreme hot or cold (we get both here). On nice days like today, I definitely don't want to be in an office.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The funny thing about all this is that most authors and typers are not actual sevens. Rather, they are observers of our types, and therefore are not as apt to truly be able to describe the true potential of type sevens vast interest. I do agree that sevens generally feel like: "what do I want to be when I grow up" well into their 40's-50's. However, the type of career a seven chooses is not limited only to profession. Career= what you do on/off the job. Vocation is what you do to make money. A seven will most likely choose a profession that gives more options for future excitement/growth. So if a 7 chooses to be a Doctor, they will most likely use it a a stepping stone for something else such as; increased ability to travel, teach, mentor, etc. Sevens are not limited to a specific genre of professions, but should try to match their interest, skills, and education with the needs of the market place. So, studying the market place FIRST, would be a good step. I am speaking for myself here, but if I would have known how hard it would be to make money in my couseling profession (thereby limiting my options for fun/entertainment/material goods), I may have not choosen to dive in head first. That is the hallmark of a typical seven, jump first ask questions later.

·
Registered
35 Posts

My brother is a lawyer and says he knows my (our) type...(I was on the debate team and people say I'd make a good lawyer but I don't think I'd ever make it through law school). He says people with my temperament barely make it out of law school alive but go on to make incredible litigators...once they get a secretary.

As for my actual career? I'm going the accountant route so that I'll always have something to fall back on if the entrepreneurial ventures fail to take off.

Accounting is mostly boring with the exception of tax accounting. You can get REALLY creative with it, but you have to be careful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree

My brother is a lawyer and says he knows my (our) type...(I was on the debate team and people say I'd make a good lawyer but I don't think I'd ever make it through law school). He says people with my temperament barely make it out of law school alive but go on to make incredible litigators...once they get a secretary.

As for my actual career? I'm going the accountant route so that I'll always have something to fall back on if the entrepreneurial ventures fail to take off.

Accounting is mostly boring with the exception of tax accounting. You can get REALLY creative with it, but you have to be careful.
I agree with a few exceptions. I think by our very nature, we hate being told we CANNOT do something. Often times we will do something, just to prove to others/self that we can. That being said, those 7's that are exceptionally bright, have a good support system, and have the learned adaptation to focus, could very well make it through law/med/dental/nursing school. Depending on the learning style (visual/auditory,kinesthetic), some sevens may have the advantage over other type 7. For example, if a healthy 7, with a visual learning style, orders the dvd's and illustrations to go with their diagnostic classes, etc., they would very easily adapt to the requirements of the program. Again, focused 7 have a keen ability to adapt to their environment. However, depending on the degree of their maladaptive coping skills; i.e. addictions, excess, procrastination, etc., they could also nose dive 1/2 through any objective and take the easy way out. In general, for most 7, I would suggest a highly thought out 4-5 year plan prior to committing to any long-term project.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Type 7 – 7′s need to be constantly stimulated, excited, or have some sort of ongoing adventure they are passionate about. 7′s have a deep need for fun, and this comes before almost anything else. 7′s like to experience all life has to offer, and they will wear many hats in the process. They hate confinement and feeling like they are missing out on life. Therefore, as a 7, you should avoid these awful traps… I mean jobs:

Careers for 7′s to Avoid

• Office Clerk, Secretary, Administrative Assistant, manager, or anything else office-like
  • Accountant
  • Lawyer
  • Doctor
  • Customer Service Rep.
  • Debt Counselor
  • Librarian

Bad Career Choices and the Enneagram – The Great Office Escape
What about an emergency room doctor?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts