Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ENFJ's,

I hope all of you are doing well. I'm writing to you today because I would like to know how ENFJ's have handled choosing their careers, which ones they tend to learn towards (what kind of areas, etc), and if some of you could possibly shed some light in my issue about where I'm going right now.

I'm currently a junior at my university, and I'm getting ready for my third year review and have already begun diving into some upper level courses. It's time that I make a decision really quickly, at least to stick to a specific program.

Currently, I am a part of an interdisciplinary honors program that allows the student to design and develop their own curricular track. This program is called New College.

Anyway, here's my story:

I was raised in a hospital and in a police department. Having multiple family members including my mother that worked in the medical field (my mom as a nursing assistant), and my aunt and cousins that worked in the police department (as administrative officials). I grew up really admiring the work of these individuals and how they save lives on a daily basis.

I grew very interested in medicine, law, and law enforcement.

By the time I got to college, I had it all mapped out. I was going to get my BA in Criminal Justice, go to law school, and work as a District Attorney. Well, things don't always work out the way we plan. As I began to flourish and blossom in college, I realized the different areas of study that were available and began to thoroughly investigate the area of criminal law, medicine, and all others associated with it. I even deviated and attempted to intertwine both medicine and law enforcement by thinking about Forensic Science (which turned out to be something I was really only interested in the idea of).

When I got to college, I was not on any scholarship or grant, I worked four jobs and went to school full time to support myself. I began applying for positions within Student Affairs at my university such as in the areas of Housing which provided me with free housing and board, etc. What I realized, was that I had this passion for people, for student development, leadership development, and above all others, teaching in general. I've been sent to conferences, had professional positions, I'm fantastic at networking and it has definitely put me in high places at my institution. I've already been offered positions for when I graduate by the president of our university.

I was in a long relationship that went sour, which prompted me to begin understanding how people function, operate, and perceive life. Essentially, what led me to Myers Briggs and psychology as a whole. Psychology has become a great passion of mine which is the primary focus of my current depth study in my program.

After losing sleep, going through a breakup, drifting inward (quite intensely I'll add), and just going through a really rough time in life right now, I've been really confused and perplexed by this decision that I need to make to advance into graduate programs and more specialized instruction.

Now, I've definitely begun to understand that there's no need to specialize in anything in my undergraduate education if I plan to get some form of higher education such as a MD, JD, or PhD.. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to prepare for.

**Note: I work at a hospital medical lab, where everyone is convinced I'd be a great doctor. I've already been given several instruments by them in hopes that I'd be a medical professional later. They're very supportive.. I just don't know what to choose.**
Here's what I decided on majoring in through New College:
Bachelors of Science in Humanology - the study and science of human life, form, and interactions. (Psychology, Biology, Anthropology, Sociology)
Minor in Higher Education
Minor in Criminal Justice

At this point, I have the following careers in mind for me:
  • Counselor
  • Criminal Psychologist/Sworn FBI Agent in Criminal Profiling
  • Professor of Psychology, Human Development, and Leadership Development
  • Student Affairs Professional at a university/Part-time professor
  • Medical Doctor/Teach part-time

Of all the different career assessments, I always get the following:
  1. Psychology
  2. Anthropology
  3. Human Development
  4. Undecided
  5. Criminal Justice

---All of which are essentially included in Humanology.

Does any ENFJ have some insight in those potential careers? I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I like politics! But not to be a president, maybe.. diplomacy? I also like journalism too. Psychology is also in my top 5, but I see that psychiatry is much more complete and helpful than psychology. Teaching is another passion in my life, but it's a great challenge to find a decent job as a teacher. I'm also considering on being a priest, but I seriously won't follow the chastity rule.
Guess we all ENFJs have similar likes.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,080 Posts
At this point, I have the following careers in mind for me:
  • Counselor
  • Criminal Psychologist/Sworn FBI Agent in Criminal Profiling
  • Professor of Psychology, Human Development, and Leadership Development
  • Student Affairs Professional at a university/Part-time professor
  • Medical Doctor/Teach part-time
I love the sound of the criminal profiler/ psychologist. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
"I grew very interested in medicine, law, and law enforcement. "

Oh, you wanted some insight.. well, it would be really really useful in this world someone who knows about medicine (Medical Doctor) and followed with a good knowledge of law. You can propose some good laws and orders in the medical field, to make all doctors and practicioners of all kinds of medicine follow a good and solid code of rules and regulations into their practices. Just saying... that would be very interesting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts