Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found myself hijacking this thread: "A job you can STAND" and decided to open a new topic.
I had mentioned that I wanted to create some application to match up INFPs with similar personality percentages with careers that they like. Aero responded and what follows is my response to Aero. If anyone else has ideas, please speak up.

It doesn't really need to be scientific, it's always going to be just a suggestion, so as long as it's interesting or useful it's fine.
Good point. Though, I do want it to be useful.

I've been wanting (and it may exist but I'm having trouble finding anything) simply a collection of all possible jobs, careers, and (legal) methods of making (or obtaining) money.
The cataloging of the entire Universe of careers/jobs may be unrealistic(I sure hate having to say that), BUT...

With enough searchable data, I think we could find stuff on our own using what we know we want, rather than having (for example) a test that tries to determine what we want and assuming that the results aren't subpar (they always are, because the "determining what we want" is usually the focus). Personally, I've seen a lot of suggestions, and that isn't my problem. I need quality ones, I need to know that what I'm finding is among the best of the options presented, not just one of many that will "do," and for undisclosed reasons generated by some quiz.
You do have a good point. I think the key is instead of having some random statisticians somewhere looking at each career and trying to figure out if an INFP would like it, it would be better to have INFPs themselves input their careers. We would then have a targeted list of careers for INFPs by INFPs. Then we end up compiling a wide array of careers(to the breadth of experience of the INFPs who are willing to enter their career information) and information about that career tailored to INFPs. I would be super happy if we had a database of jobs and some stats on what percentage of INFPs actually like that job. Maybe if you could drill down into the results it would be double excellent. And maybe if you could contact the person who wrote the review of the career it would be triple excellent. What do you think?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Don't forget the ENFPs! <3

A ways different from my idea, but that would probably be good. While you can't realistically log everything in the universe, you can strive to be as complete as humanly possible with the resources available. In my thought, I don't see a reason to limit it to INFP, even if it's originally tailored to and based on what INFPs want. That really opens it up to greater success and general utility for all people looking for what to do with their lives. Then again what I proposed was a huge project that would have to involve more people in order to come to fruition.

I think if you cater only to INFPs, you may do some good but would have a relatively small audience and might have trouble making much money with it. I also think that percentages of how many INFP liked a particular job wouldn't be completely ideal, since we are all still unique individuals and have variances.

If you're going the route of having INFPs enter their own careers, again, you could extend this to everyone. You can just ask the people inputting their careers their type, and then you'll have the same thing really, except then it has a much bigger target audience and works for other types as well. I'm sure there are some other types that could benefit greatly from most anything an INFP would (even if not to the same degree).

I really have no idea how much either of us are reinventing the wheel, but it somehow seems like others would have tried some of this stuff already. I googled "career database" and saw something pretty similar to what I was originally saying. However, it looks pretty terrible, I could go into listing all sorts of things it falls short on. Definitely room to improve there (and so opportunity).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts