Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

It's been a while.

I am going back to school like by January but I am actually nervous if I am making a good choice or not. Right now I am going to be going back to school for a bachelor's in digital media. But I have been thinking a lot lately on going to school to become a veterinary technician instead.

What holds me back from choosing this career and choosing to go to school for digital media instead is that I have been reading on forums and watching videos on youtube that people have become burnt out being a vet tech and the pay is not good and they change their careers in like a year.

I mean I love animals (especially cats lol) and I would love to make them feel better. Right now I have just started volunteering at my local humane society. I don't want to go to school to be a vet tech only to end up not wanting to be one anymore. I am just scared that digital media is also not a good career choice and I am wasting my time pursuing it too.

But I would love to be an animator or graphic designer. I am so torn with these two career fields. Maybe I should just continue with digital media degree since I already applied for the bachelor's program? I am sorry. I just kind need help and a bit of reassurance in my decision from fellow INFPs? Thanks for reading this.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
From what I heard, vet tech can be alot to handle emotionally unless you're able to completely shut off your emotions. It'd be like being a first responder or a nurse or something. You are helping people, or in this case animals, but you'll be seeing and dealing with alot of things that may take a toll on you emotionally if you're not careful to separate your feelings from your job.

With digital media, there's probably more opportunity, but also greater competition. If you already enrolled in the classes though, it's probably best to just stick with it. Try to focus on being excited for it instead of being nervous about it. And goodluck.

·
5,236 Posts
Is the vet techs in the veterinary offices? If so I might suggest going to sit in the waitingroom of some bigger place, explaining to the staff that you are considering the work and just want to try out the atmosphere, I think they would understand. I have never really considered veterinary, but after having been there with my cats several times, it now seems like one the worst possible jobs for me, as I feel physically sick by hearing all the upset animals and seeing anxious people and people coming out crying because their animal likely died etc. A huge eloge from me to those who can bear it, I am so thankful for them. But I don't find it surprising many quit.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Hi guys,

It's been a while.

I am going back to school like by January but I am actually nervous if I am making a good choice or not. Right now I am going to be going back to school for a bachelor's in digital media. But I have been thinking a lot lately on going to school to become a veterinary technician instead.

What holds me back from choosing this career and choosing to go to school for digital media instead is that I have been reading on forums and watching videos on youtube that people have become burnt out being a vet tech and the pay is not good and they change their careers in like a year.

I mean I love animals (especially cats lol) and I would love to make them feel better. Right now I have just started volunteering at my local humane society. I don't want to go to school to be a vet tech only to end up not wanting to be one anymore. I am just scared that digital media is also not a good career choice and I am wasting my time pursuing it too.

But I would love to be an animator or graphic designer. I am so torn with these two career fields. Maybe I should just continue with digital media degree since I already applied for the bachelor's program? I am sorry. I just kind need help and a bit of reassurance in my decision from fellow INFPs? Thanks for reading this.
Follow your heart. Deep down, you already knew the answer.

Your heart is saying that you wanted to be a vet. But your fears are holding you back, and now you're trying to make fear-based decisions by pursuing the graphic design career path.

Reactions: Scared

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its a tricky one! You just have to realize that career choices are not the be all and end all of all decisions. You can always change down the line! Studying vet tech is a great start and with your passion for it, you would certainly excel in it. As being torn about being a graphic designer, I'd say maybe you can freelance stuff on the side as a hobby or for a bit of extra cash. Just as long as you are happy with what you're doing, its fine. Most people don't end up doing what they studied in university and I'd say many people would have multiple career changes down the line.

Look at me, I studied to be an engineer and after 8 months working in the industry, I quit and worked in the fitness industry. Am I happy, absolutely! I made my own choice. I don't earn as much money but I'm so much happier as I never quite fit in while I was working in an office. Did I waste my time in university and my working experience as an engineer? Absolutely not! I've learned so many applicable skills during my time as an engineer that is translatable to my current job and my life. Just do what you enjoy and if you don't enjoy it, don't be afraid to change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts