Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
BEAR
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 21, female, high school graduate, dropped out of college. Just looking for something I could do without a college degree that won't aggrevate my mental illness (low stress, no crazy hours, etc). I'd love if it were outdoors. Just looking for ideas as I'm unemployed and looking to move out of my parents house soon, but cant financially do it right now.
I was pretty good at math and science. I wanted to major in chemical engineering before my mental health nosedived. I'm obsessed with nature as a hiker, skier, paddler, and mtn biker (but not particularly good at any of those). I'm toying with the idea of doing something to help those that are struggling with mental health as I did, but I'm not much of a people person.
Ideas?

Registered
I generally do not get the idea that ISTP's are that career driven. Just earning enough money to live and get by and be debt free, since that is a stress factor is what, at least I, aim for.

If you live in the US, I would move to a state that has reasonable rents. Luckily for you that tend to be states with a lot of nature and small cities. Find a job that makes you enough money and for the rest enjoy what you love doing.

Registered
Bottom line, get job, get money + free time to help those mental ill people.
Idk but economy kind of bad atm, kinda hard too choose jobs, gotta grab anything you can.

Registered
I did a little search on indeed.com for "outdoor" related positions.
Since you like the outdoors, you could be a park ranger. From the results I've seen, I don't see anything that requires you to have more than a high school diploma. It does require some customer service, but also park maintenance, trail work, handing out permits, enforcing rules, etc. Each state pays differently, but the hours are generally 40 per week.

Since you also have an interest in mental health, you could get your foot in the door by doing some sort of administrative work for a behavioral or psychiatric center at first. Once you build a rapport with the staff and they see your ambition, they may let you shadow one day. I did look at some behavioral/psychiatric/psychology technician positions, and a lot of what I looked over required advanced degrees.

I hope this helped! Just wanted to throw a couple of titles out to give you some ideas. Best of luck.

Registered
I don't know a lot about it but there's research that suggest being outdoors can help those suffering with mental illness so why not see if there's some kind of outdoors therapy kinda role you could try? I've seen it around but don't know much about it. Besides that I'm a big advocate of trying to get into outdoors work, even if you aren't working with others you can help the environment and you'd be working in a place surrounded by nature

Registered
I did a little search on indeed.com for "outdoor" related positions.
Since you like the outdoors, you could be a park ranger. From the results I've seen, I don't see anything that requires you to have more than a high school diploma. It does require some customer service, but also park maintenance, trail work, handing out permits, enforcing rules, etc. Each state pays differently, but the hours are generally 40 per week.
One of the guys from my scout troop ended up needing to get a two year(or possibly just a certificate) which was basically environmental science and some law enforcement courses. Granted I think he was trying to work in a nation forest or become a game warden.

Registered
I think counseling can be interesting for ISTP's but it might not come naturally at first. Ti is very introspective, even to the point of shutting out the outside world while thinking about stuff. I think the biggest challenge would be to really listen to the other person and not try to fix anything.

Thinking about this: how about starting off easy and work at a summer camp or something like that for a short while? I know it's not really the right season, but there might be some similar things going on in this season? I don't know a lot about outdoors stuff to be honest.

I'm not sure if the pay is even that good, but it would be a good situation to do something for others and be active and outdoors in the process?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts