Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to what career paths the other ISFPs here have gone into or plan on going into. For years, I've been working in a college at their helpdesk, but lately I'm miserable (issues with some coworkers/boss). I was thinking about going back to school for sociology and gearing it towards counseling, but I'm afraid listening to people's problems will just bring me down! So, after several people (family and friends) have encouraged me to consider photography... I decided to take the plunge and now I'm back in school for photography. I'm pretty good with my camera, but want to learn a little bit more about the field itself.... Particularly portraiture...

What career paths are you in or do you plan on going into?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Right now I'm studying engineering(worst place for an ISFP right?), I'm looking at changing to teaching or psychology if I can get my GPA up enough to switch(I've failed a few subjects). I wouldn't mind doing photography either... I know someone who does very well from it, but you need to be really good to make money from it I think.

Honestly though... I don't know what I want to do, I'll just see where I end up :happy:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Likewise, I'm pursuing photography. Although my interest is in landscape/nature,
the field of photography (regardless of specialty) is highly competitive.
Portraiture is significantly more challenging when trying to get placed into a commercial job; whereas, it is the most widespread form of photography. Freelance is always an option, regardless of field, but nonetheless it's a difficult and challenging feat.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Haha that's crazy, two other engineering students?

I finished my degree in civil engineering in December but couldn't find a job in it and didn't really want to anymore. I've been working as a carpenter's apprentice for the past couple months and it's been good most of the time. I get to make stuff and use my body a lot which I absolutely love, but my ESTP coworker is kind of a dick some days and it gets to me, big ornery construction worker type. I have no clue if I'm going to stay with this, I'm not getting enough hours to live off of at the moment, but searching for another job sounds absolutely terrible when this one has so much potential. I've been contemplating starting my own business raising livestock so I could be on my own surrounded by nature everyday and would be fairly self-sufficient since I'd be producing one of my largest expenses, food. Maybe I could try something else hands on and in demand like welding or machining. It'd be great to just be a professional mountain biker or something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I need 8 credits for a degree in Biology. I'm alright at it. Mediocre grades. I'm not much interested in it though. I have a minor in GIS, which is what I will likely try to find employment in. The problem is I don't know what I really want to do with myself. I wish I had enough money to set up a leech farm and sell them to bait shops.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ironically enough I majored in civil engineering at one point... Unfortunately, the few instructors I had weren't that great, so I didn't continue with the program.

I should be okay with photography as long as I can stick with it... The adviser told me that most photographers in this area seem to get burnt out after 2-3 years in the field. Thankfully, I've got enough family and friends I should be able to build up a portfolio pretty easily.

I guess ultimately I'm in that boat where I'm working towards something....but not really sure what I'll do with it. =\

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am an ISFP and have been doing pediatric nursing for 10 years. I love it. I am considering Med school but not sure if I can handle it. There is no room for procrastination and will have to be very disciplined, this is something I had a hard time doing in nursing school, haha. Guess that's why it took me 6 years to finish my nursing degree. But I should add if I was granted one wish that would make me an profession my heart so chooses, it would be an actor, or a world renowned pianist, or a photographer, maybe a model, or even an author of science fiction literature....something in the arts for sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had several jobs, but my major ones were real estate secretary, data entry clerk, technical translator and closed captioning editor. None of them really appeal to me at the moment and I quit my last job in order to find myself and explore other options. I would ideally be my own boss, working one on one with clients and making something tangible, personalized and useful/helpful/meaningful that they would buy from me. Just gotta figure out what tangible (and potentially viable) thing that will be.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I think being a surgeon would be pretty fulfilling, hands-on, practical, get to help people, interesting, well-respected, pays well, in-demand...

I may give that a try after a few more years of carpentry, need to save up some money, at least my undergrad is out of the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.