Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! At my age I should know what I want to be when I grow up, but I don't.

A little background... I'm a middle aged high school grad who never went to college. I'm married, but probably only for a few more years. I've spent virtually all of my adult life as a wife and mother. For the first time in many, many year I have a part time job. I like everything about it except the low pay/ hours and being first in line to deal with the public. My face and voice make me seem angry and cold. They lie. I'm just an introvert. I think of myself as a word person, more than a numbers person. I'm doing a very basic, online, bookkeeping course and enjoying it so far. It is too soon to say if I have found an unknown talent.

Since it looks like I will have to support myself in a few years I think it would be to my advantage to plan for it now. The less I have to deal with later the better is my thinking. I'll have to work till I die or my health won't let me. My best guess is that could be 20-30 years. I want a career that pays well, fits with who I am, and is fairly recession proof. Good luck right? I figured. I do like helping people, but have come to see that is best done in an indirect way.

I am open to ideas, or questions and then ideas. Thanks. Fishbowl

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Bookeeping sounds like an excellent career path then. You generally only need an associates degree to be qualified. The real stickler is companies almost always want someone with 2 years experience. It can be difficult to get your foot in the door somewhere to be trained.

I'm in the accounting field and will have a bachelor's this fall. I decided to go for the bachelor's because a lot of the associate's degree positions in accounting are generally half-secretary / half-bookkeeper. I really didn't want to be taking messages for the boss and doing all that, but it's better than nothing. With such a position, depending where you live, you could expect to make in the $12 to $16 per hour range.

I recommend an accounting career path, because many other associate's degrees are fairly worthless. An associates degree in business for example would mean nothing, maybe you could be an executive assistant with that, but probably not much else.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
-duplicate post-

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Just looking through my local college's programs. Another 2-year training program is Dental Assistant. I believe those are the people who clean your teeth, but they don't do any of the surgical procedures in your mouth, unless they're assisting a dentist.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Get an associates in nursing. There are many 2 to 3 year programs at community colleges that will lead you into the wonderful world of nursing. I got my associates in science recently and am going to be taking 1 year of clinical to become a registered nurse. This would be the 3 year option. After that I can either go to work or spend 1 year getting my bachelors in nursing for a slightly higher pay. I'll probably do the latter as I want to be a nurse anesthetist.

RN's where I live make about 60k average and that's really only dependent on the amount of overtime they're willing to take.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Razare- Thanks for your reply. I'm finding in this employer's world, most want experience no matter what the job is. I got real lucky with my current job in that way. I really don't want to be anyone's secretary or receptionist. I want to get away from working in a fishbowl. That said, I guess if I decided bookkeeping was for me I could get an assoc. degree, then job, and work toward bach. degree part time while I work. It would take longer to get, but at least I could count down the secretary years as I get experience. I don't see me as a dental assistant because it would mean working with the public all day. That would feel too much like a fishbowl. I'm fine with coworkers.

Floryshe- Thanks for your reply. I don't think I have the stomach for nursing. Oddly enough I do think I could enjoy working in a lab though. I understand those jobs are very hard to find and even harder to get. It takes more schooling too than I really want to go for also. If my research is correct that is.

Keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Anything in the medical field pays well. Also, starbucks is a good option if you can't do college. They pay 15 and hour and offer 401k's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the medical field pays well and is economy resistant. Wow. Didn't know that about Starbucks. I can't see me working there but who knows.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There are tons of degrees you could get if you're only going for an associates. Just search around...I'm sure you'll find something you like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PurdyFlower- Just because I find something I think I like, doesn't mean it is a good match for my very introverted, among other things, personality. I have stumbled across many things that sounded really good for months, before I realize they are wrong for me. I don't have the time, or money, for an epic fail in education. I realize there are no guarantees that what I ultimitely pursue will work out. I was just hoping that those who have gone before me, could guide me toward decent paying options, that fit with my personality.

I'm not having a good evening. If my reply sounds harsh, please know that I don't mean it that way.

·
Registered
122 Posts
PurdyFlower- Just because I find something I think I like, doesn't mean it is a good match for my very introverted, among other things, personality. I have stumbled across many things that sounded really good for months, before I realize they are wrong for me. I don't have the time, or money, for an epic fail in education. I realize there are no guarantees that what I ultimitely pursue will work out. I was just hoping that those who have gone before me, could guide me toward decent paying options, that fit with my personality.

I'm not having a good evening. If my reply sounds harsh, please know that I don't mean it that way.
To an extent I know what you're going through. I am currently in a job that I dislike very much and thought the field I'm working in was going to be what I was going to do for the rest of my life. After working in the field, I realized it is not for me at all. I've struggled to try and find something else to get into, but when I would think it was something I wanted to do I would change my mind. I am also very introverted and luckily I think I picked something that will suit me. I know you don't have time or money for an epic fail. Most people don't...and that's one thing I am also very scared of. I went to school for three years and now I cannot even really use my degree....so you can see why I'm scared to go back and try something else. Unfortunately, sometimes that's all you can do....try new things and hope it all works out. I hoped for a while that someone would suggest the best career for me, but it seems that is nearly impossible. Why? Because they are not me...just like we are not you. Sorry if my suggestion did not help. If you're wondering what I've decided to work on next, it's network security/IT. Most jobs you'll be dealing with people, but I figure this job would fit my introverted personality more than the one I'm doing now! Perhaps that would be a good career for you as well - working with computers. There are plenty of people that work in that field without having to get a degree...that is if you're computer savvy. :)

I saw some people suggest the medical field and for a while I wanted to be a Physical Therapist Assistant, partially because I don't like needles and all the messy work. Perhaps that's something that you'd like? The field is booming and you only need an associates! You can always go to www.bls.gov and look up careers in your state. It tells you the median wage and a full description of each career. I hope that helps!

I hope you're having a better week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm. I thought for sure I replied to the last comment here. Maybe I did, but didn't hit post, and then quickly signed out.

Anyway... Thanks for your comments. I am considering something with computers, but don't want to do programing or troubleshooting. If I did something medicial, I think it would be in a lab, and not doing blood draws. Lab work is very hard to get in to.

And even though I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, life has gotten much better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts