Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a starting freshman and about to turn 15. Lately I have been wondering what kind of career I would be well suited for. This is especially troubling, considering the fact I am an ENTP and we are notorious for never holding down a job when we become unsatisfied with it. I want a career where I can use my creative talents to solve new problems and tackle difficult challenges. Although many jobs offer the use of creativity it is usually 20% creativity 80% boring paper work and sitting at a desk for most of the day. I want to be out there traveling and applying new ideas and strategies to my work. My point is that I want to know what jobs are out there now so I can prepare for it in school and so I dont have to put up with the endless question "what do I want to be when I grow up?".

And please dont put general jobs terms such as Lawyer or Marketer, the more specific the better. :laughing:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I was in the Marine Corps it was only satisfying in the since that you apply your creativity to strange situations usually under alot of pressure so there is alot of challenge in it, but the other people in the service were the death of me always to tell me how to do everything on the day to day basis. it was fun but generally you will feel smarter than the people in charge of you. if you can hold out and be the one that makes all the plans and figures out the best way to accomplish the job its a sweet gig. i only held out for 4 years the higher ups were just to much and i don't like feeling trapped by a contract. curse of entp i had to move on and try something new. now im looking in Flight training and become a pilot travel and prob not have the same day twice. hope you figure out the answer to your question earlier than me man,I'm 24 and still looking to what i really want to stick with.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Man, I'm also 24, and I can't stick to anything. I like everything, but I don't love anything either. Finding something that you love is so important as an ENTP. We can't just do something for the sake of doing it. Not for the rest of our lives at least.

The only other ENTP I know in real life does engineering and that allows for lots of creativity and brainpower.

I swear dude, all day I think about being a teacher, politician, physicist, and on and on, and while I could be any of those for 5 years, I can't see any of those as a lifetime career.

So yeah, find a love. Find a passion.

Also, Jerkass. I'm jealous, the Marines wouldn't take me because of my asthma :sad: You'll find your way back though, I'm sure.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well.. Just get yourself an attractive education. Once you you've got an education that allows you to pick your prefered employer rather than the other way around, quitting jobs every now and then won't be a problem. It also allows you to choose those jobs in your field which suits you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
exactly.....i was drifting around between the decisions so i chose geography, it was very "jack of all trades" which l liked, but half a semester in i saw that i didnt like most of it. but what i found out was that everything was interesting, for me now economics specifically. so i study economics, its interesting , its much more scientific ( and also very model oriented and systemic) and you can do anything afterwards, from economic jounalism over management and marketing to econometric math or just a lecturing. my suggestion is, find your fancied subject, try a lot , read many introduction books and go interdisciplinary. in the end you will have a degree and all possibilities in your chosen field. to decide what job you will end up with (by age of 15) is just....not very ENTP.

·
Registered
43 Posts
this quote is from this thread: http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/7583-entp-careers-your-satisfaction-2.html

For those of you who are stilling wondering about possible ENTP careers, this is a list that I found on Personality-Power-for-Everyday-Living.com. What do you think about the careers it suggests? It's so broad and random (similar to the ENTP personality).

ENTP Personality Ingenious Visionary!
The ENTP personality is driven to understand, constantly absorbing ideas and new concepts around them. You have a natural ability to understand others intuitively, and you have natural ability at almost anything that interests you. As the idea people you have a natural interest and ability to conceive of and get things going more than finishing them, others can do that. You are mentally quick, enjoy verbal sparring and debate sometimes you like to argue. These are just a few of the ENTP factors that make up you list of personality traits you can use to find a career that is a natural fit.

Natural Propensities:
Breadth of interests
Grasp of possibilities
Use of logic and analysis
Naturally comfortable with the abstract
Nonconformity
Creativity
Problem solving abilities
Improvise

There are more natural traits making up your ENTP self personality profile but those above indicate a natural ability for careers requiring inventiveness and an analytical mind. You would also be a natural fit for careers in science, communications, and technology. Also fields offering a chance for variety, autonomy and excitement in the workplace would be naturals for you.

The ENTP personality type will move naturally towards a career that gives you opportunities to engage in creative problem solving and/or generating new and innovative approaches to problems. Lets you experience a variety of situations filled with fun, action, and excitement; a career that follows a logical order and is based upon objective and fair standards, rather than the likes or dislikes of one individual; a career that lets you increase your professional and personal power and interact frequently with other powerful people.

Personally, I find this list to be one of the most accurate I've seen. I'm currently in school to become a lawyer, so that works. Here are my specific thoughts:
Photographer - a hobby I enjoy, and if I had the talent, I'd probably pursue the career
Journalist - I would probably really like this job provided it was for a publication I could get behind
Actor - I've dreamed about this since I was a really little girl, but it's just not practical
Physician - for a long time I thought I wanted to be a doctor, but I realized i'm too much of a misogynist
Psychiatry - see prev
Artist or Entertainer - i might as well be this anyway, just with minimal pay :crazy:
Research Worker - when i gave up on medicine, i thought research was the way to go. so also possible
Lawyer - yay!
Management Consultant - I'd be great at this. I know what everyone is doing wrong :laughing:
Engineers/Systems Analysts - if i had the math skills or training, I'd be good at these. i like analysis
Writer - often considered this as my ideal career. no 9-5, no boss, etc

·
Registered
36 Posts
#1 suggestion -ENTP's MAKE TERRIBLE NURSES!
There is no opportunity for problem solving, the doctors do that if anyone does. You are not allowed to come up with better ideas in this field. In fact, the most popular phrase in any healthcare facility is "Because that is the way we have always done it" Picture your creative, innovative personality subject to doing exactly the same thing day in and day out being expected to do EXACTLY what you are told to do and that is it and wearing all white your entire career while you do it. Also our tendency to forget things and not pay attention to the "little details" doesn't go over too well with the powers that be (not to mention the patients). The one good side is we are usually good at winning over the patients with our personalities. Worst of all you will have to work with a whole hospital of PMS-ing ISFJ's and ESFJ's all dressed in white and bent on squelching your wonderful clever personality over some insignificant, unimportant minor detail you forgot to document that didn't kill anyone, LOL.:tongue:
No self respecting ENTP takes well to following orders just because that is the way it has always been done. If I am representative of the typical ENTP I have the tendancy to go in the opposite direction in that situation just for spite. Of course, I fight that urge while on the job in this profession because I know that you can't just go and do it your way when it comes to someone's health, but it has caused a lot of stress on me as a person to spend so many years being completely out of character during all of my working hours and when I get stressed it's more and more difficult to fight my basic personality. Personality aside, nursing is a downright crappy profession, imo. The good side is all this squelching my basic personality has helped modify the more negative aspects of being an ENTP such as not following through and not paying attention to detail which may help me in a different career choice in the future.

#2 I ( currently being a terrible nurse) am currently pursuing education to become a web designer. I think that will fit my personality quite well for the following reasons.
I can eventually work from home.
I can be creative and innovative.
I can use cutting edge technology and maybe even improve on it.
I can branch out from this field in a thousand different creative ways. Even if I never branch out from it, I get to go back to school again over and over as the technology changes and as all ENTP's know we really love to learn things that are new.
This field requires some talent in visual arts so if you don't have that, it may not be for you. The degree is a cross between graphic design and computer information technology.That being said, it sounds ideal for our personality type but is not listed in a lot of the personality books, being a rather new field. Anywhere they say graphic design/advertising and/or computers remember web design is a combination of both.

·
Banned
326 Posts
I talked to someone that I thought was an inventor at Mcdonald's once. He saw me doing statistics homework and saw the intensity of my concentration and approached me. Anyway, I thought that was interesting that he engaged his curiousity in public without hesitation. A good trait of the inventor, I speculate. He ended up getting a mechanical engineering degree and found a desk job to be very, very boring. So, he got into structural engineering as a result of his background and now or then rather his job was to travel around the state and come up with creative ideas on how to fix structures that were being damaged by weather, time, etc. I thought this was probably one of the best jobs for this type of person. He was able to travel, engage people, solve problems creatively, be his own contractor(entrepreneur). I could just tell that this person had a lot of interesting ideas brewing inside of him. It was funny when we stopped talking because I kept asking him about his background and he was the one to stop the conversation. But yeah, I think any job that involves travel, creative strategic thinking, involvement with people in a way where the inventor gets to make his own appointments would be an ideal way to go. I just imagine the freedom of this man and what he was able to learn about in his travels to places all over the state and I bet he had friends everywhere all over the state or rather acquaintances to drop in on and hang out with for a bit. Very resourceful and I think about all the opportunies to brainstorm with other thinkers. If I had the math/science background, I would pursue something like this.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
#1 suggestion -ENTP's MAKE TERRIBLE NURSES!
Change ENTP to You (me), and you have a direct quote from my INTJ father. For the exact reason you listed. I have a hard time following orders just because that is how it is done. I'm the only person in the house that actually back talks against my father when he's doing something stupid. He respects it though.

Another thing that would keep me from being a nurse is that A) ENTPs are people people but at the same time not people people. Well, my brand of ENTP that is (See past post with multiple kinds of ENTPs). I enjoy peoples company. I strive for it. But at the same time I dislike most people, and when around them I often remain silent for at least 30 minutes to study them and see if they're worth talking too. Why is this bad? Nurses normally are asked to talk to the patients. I'd just ignore them.

B) I'd try to be a doctor. I've thought about being one but I find that it'd piss me off for reasons above, and the fact that I'd like to sleep sometime in the next decade. [Though I don't really sleep now] However, if I was a nurse. I'd try to spread myself all over. I'd try to learn about being a doctor and than do stuff outside protocol because I think I can do it.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
This topic has come up before, and I was a bit coy, but what the hell. I'm a surgeon. In mid-career, I'm a bit bored of it now. I do different stuff every day, I'm the boss of my team, work with people, no two problems are ever exactly the same. But I've done it for a while now, I can do it, that's nice, time for a change........ I'd like to go off and do some performance stuff now, or travel, or write a novel, only there's the mortgage.....I don't think it matters what career you choose, this will probably happen. Although I am a tad bored, I don't have major regrets choosing this route.

The management consultant comment was interesting. I have done a lot of hospital management and am said to have a talent for it. Have given it up because of the politics and the fact that people either cannot understand or relate to what needs to be done or are blocked by personal motives. There are many, many people in big organisations all with slightly conficting personal motives, too. I got very frustrated. So I reckon I'd be a fantastic management consultant: Go into a system, work out how it ticks, how to take it apart, give advice on how to put it back together in a way that works, and then pocket the cheque and walk away ....:tongue:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ha, funny post for me to stumble on today ... I've literally thought about at least 10 different careers that I'd love (for a short period of time) and still can't decide which one to follow. The problems is that I think of every aspect of every job that interests me so much that I end up not being able to decide on one and then can't make a first step so i do nothing. I guess I'm waiting for one to hit me in the head ... maybe even literally!

I went through the following just this morning:

Photography
Women's Studies
Psychology
Myers-Briggs Certification and contracting to companies
Singing
Acting
Biology/Anthropology
Space Alien
Vagabond

I'm leaning towards photography AND vagabond ... together : )

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a mature ENTP who has been down the road. My career path has always been rather broad because of my strong need to know damn near everything. I do tend to lose interest in something after I have mastered it. I have found that if I step away from my interests for a while, they become interesting again because I have to relearn or refresh my skill. I have been self employed most of my career.

Over my career my mastery has grown to include-
a pest control business
master electrician
refrigeration and air conditioning contractor
stationary engineer
mechanical engineer
LEED accredited professional

My current position is working as a Director of Engineering for a company that buys older high-rise buildings that need to be improved to make them comparable and competitive with new properties. I have the luxury of being able to define the projects and will always include something new or different in our efforts. My focus is blending old with new and making it perform as well as the latest design.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Professional Philanthropist.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Gather around my ENTP brothers and sisters. I have found our major!

Neuroscience!

Reactions: chuckpalstoboot

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
Psychology has always held my interest. I like that it is complex, ever-improving/changing, and has real-world use at the same time. Not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it for a career, but there are a lot of opportunities. You can pair psychology with pretty much every other field. It's a good starting point, if you're into it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Neuroscience!

No, not at all. Neuroscience is lame. Too many details. I'm too lazy to see if I've posted in this thread already but I'm majoring in Psychology right now double minoring in business administration (practical side!) and philosophy(or political science, haven't made up my mind). It's pretty hard to actually go into the field of psychology as a therapist (getting into grad school for psych is about as hard as getting into med school) but it's tremendously interesting, not to mention it might look good to employers (you know how to get along with people.)

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
No, not at all. Neuroscience is lame./quote]

Really? It seems to combine all my favorite things. Psychology, Philosophy, History, Computer Science :D

Than again I'm talking Neuropsychology & Neuroanthropology. Maybe you went for that god awful Neuroengineering. Worst Engineering Ever. EE is better.

·
Banned
326 Posts

Neuroscience!
Yeah or biomedical engineering or chemistry. It's awesome and all but I'm so lazy to be in school anymore. I read something about Chemistry being the one that cures cancer and I value that more than Physics as a career even though I love to learn physical theories. It just seems sometimes like the world of ideas is useless unless there is practical application. I want to see any ideas I get to work with on develop into something directly affecting people. Neuroscience is amazing stuff. I always try to tell people about their brain's plasticity when they think they aren't bright. And how the brain cells are growing throughout.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts