Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I'm currently a stay at home mother. I was in aviation with the aircraft engineers and mechanics in multiple roles. I've done better when there was high pressure and things stayed busy. I failed hard when things got monotonous. I'd suggest you go for something with stress.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't have my career established yet but I work at a retail and a buffet restaurant. Both are very busy when rush hour hits or it's a holiday and I absolutely love the chaos! I agree with @monemi when she says pick a stressful job, it keeps me on my toes!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I currently work for a cinema, and opticians, and I'm studying to become a London Metropolitan Police officer.

Cinema gets busy, love to do orders, resolve issues, make customers smile... which is only 5% of the time because it's mostly dead. Relying upon others for things really sucks here.

The opticians job allows me to follow up lots of different odd jobs and very variant customers as I work on different sites each week with different clientele. I learn more about the science of optometry while fixing their IT SNAFUs and basic man-things around the place. I'm essentially a wildcard which keeps me happy.

I hope working for the Police will add many strings to my bow, shorten the list of things I haven't handled, give me the chance to work in really stressful and difficult conditions while offering my protection of the freedoms of others. As a person who loves their personal freedom and their right to live peacefully, I would work to foster the rights of others to do the same, free of oppression and disadvantage generated by unlawful cause and effect.

Kick-ass uniform and I get to skilfully drive cars. One day, probably a motorcyclist officer.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I used to be in aviation as well, but on the piloting side of things, and I swear, I brought the planes back better than I found them!

Moved on then to IT and took the every chance I got to head out to a warehouse and work shipping and receiving there which I loved. Started out life as security for a then small furrier then moved up to logistics and transport for said furrier. Now unemployed, but moving in the general direction of engineering.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used to be in aviation too! I grew up working as a line rat through high school then worked in a couple other aviation jobs. I have my private pilot but ran out of money to go further. Now I'm working my way through school as a deckhand for a charter/cruise/ferry boat company. Also processing into the AF reserve as a load master with the hopes of one day being a pilot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh man, please more people post!! I can't decide what I want to do although I am very creative, I am never going to stop designing in my spare time. I am freelancing at the moment and I work as a dancer now and then as well. So it's all just a bit of this and that but I'd really like something more, something ambitious and stimulating but without all these people above me patronising me to fulfill their daily ego trip.

I have worked for companies, but small ones. Both have left me feeling pretty poopy because of the lack of appreciation and mundane tasks involved. I worked as an art consultant, which looked good on the outside but was horrible on the inside because of the horrible horrible managment. And i mean horrible :(!!!

I have worked behind bars, at a hairdressers and in cafes. It was sort of cool when it was busy as I was easily able to multitask, keep positive and work my butt off. But the problem was I got home and had nothing left in me.

I want a job where I still have a bit of life left in me to work on my arty farty designs and drawings when I get home. That's likely impossible.

Currently curious about sales... retailll.. MEH. Looks like everyone is just poo-heads. I would probably be happy doing any kind of job, as long as I was working with people who were awesome and the management not such god damn ego-tripping ****heads.

Whats with all this aviation??? How and what and what?!! Have I missed something here :/ I used to wanna be an Army Officer but then I decided I couldnt be bothered to learn to do push-ups hahahahaha... I guess I am more academic :(

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
@Dannyell - Sales with the general public isn't any fun and even if it has commission, isn't very high. However, if you see a sales job that is business to business, it's much better. It might say experience necessary, but just find a way to talk to the person hiring and sell why you would be a good fit for the job. Consider it your first sales assignment, getting the job.

Aviation, I'd look into getting experience or knowledge in transportation to start with. I would avoid having to deal with actual passengers. That's general public and the general public suck. I got into aviation via having transportation background and working in the estimating department with a parts manufacturer for military use. Things like the turret on a tank. Go between administrator between departments and clients. Required good communication skills, good maths skills, basic Cadkey and excellent Microsoft office. I've found there's often openings where office and people skills combined with basic understanding of mechanics. It would seem those three combined are a little difficult to find.

Not sure if that's any help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
@Dannyell - Sales with the general public isn't any fun and even if it has commission, isn't very high. However, if you see a sales job that is business to business, it's much better. It might say experience necessary, but just find a way to talk to the person hiring and sell why you would be a good fit for the job. Consider it your first sales assignment, getting the job.

Aviation, I'd look into getting experience or knowledge in transportation to start with. I would avoid having to deal with actual passengers. That's general public and the general public suck. I got into aviation via having transportation background and working in the estimating department with a parts manufacturer for military use. Things like the turret on a tank. Go between administrator between departments and clients. Required good communication skills, good maths skills, basic Cadkey and excellent Microsoft office. I've found there's often openings where office and people skills combined with basic understanding of mechanics. It would seem those three combined are a little difficult to find.

Not sure if that's any help.
That is a little bit of help, thank you. Have been looking at a 'sales training programme' for a bank, not sure if I'd be dealing with general public or not but I guess when I was thinking of sales, I kinda knew I wanted to go the corporate approach, if possible. I worked selling paintings in an art gallery, yes it sucks the commission is gay and to be honest its boring. Theres just no job satisfaction.

Its really hard work as I am a type 3 as well so this stuff really means way too much to me.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
That is a little bit of help, thank you. Have been looking at a 'sales training programme' for a bank, not sure if I'd be dealing with general public or not but I guess when I was thinking of sales, I kinda knew I wanted to go the corporate approach, if possible. I worked selling paintings in an art gallery, yes it sucks the commission is gay and to be honest its boring. Theres just no job satisfaction.

Its really hard work as I am a type 3 as well so this stuff really means way too much to me.
I suspect a bank wouldn't be more exciting, but experience and training in sales would make it easier to apply for corporate sales. Even just one year straight on a resume is something. Even then, corporate sales you'd need to check how busy/fun the job was.

Reactions: Dannyell

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well right now at my office intern job my favorite part of the day is when I get to clean the toilet. So I am hoping I get something in retail soon, even if it sucks, because anything beats the repetitive, mind numbing, life sucking tasks that I've been doing for the last three years. I felt more productive and energized after being screamed at on the phone by a furious client, (and actually feeling like I had handled it well,) than I did doing my job all week. I'm curious, what do all you successful people think I should do to get hired at 18 with a high school diploma?

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Well right now at my office intern job my favorite part of the day is when I get to clean the toilet. So I am hoping I get something in retail soon, even if it sucks, because anything beats the repetitive, mind numbing, life sucking tasks that I've been doing for the last three years. I felt more productive and energized after being screamed at on the phone by a furious client, (and actually feeling like I had handled it well,) than I did doing my job all week. I'm curious, what do all you successful people think I should do to get hired at 18 with a high school diploma?
I've never seen an intern made to clean the toilet before. Did you tell your teacher about this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts