Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A place to come and discuss your careers. Whats the perfect career for an ENFP, and how does that compare to other Personalitys? This would really help me out...
Chrissy

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm an ENFP attorney--anyone know any other ones?

Bc I don't. In fact, sometimes I think I must be the only ENFP in the world trying to make it as a lawyer. I find my career to be extremely satisfying, but my personality type does present some unique challenges in this job. Would be great to find some others who can relate!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I remember a website (that I couldn't find) that displayed all the personality types and potential career choices, and by far ENFP's had the most choices than any other type. So I think this is a hard subject for ENFP's because of all the possibilities. I think the perfect career for an ENFP is to work in an area you are passionate about (and I assume this is a long list like for most ENFPs). I work as a software product manager where I mediate between engineers, customers, sales and marketing people and I love it. For me I wanted a job that leveraged my empathy, diplomacy, and creativity so this was the perfect fit.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Bc I don't. In fact, sometimes I think I must be the only ENFP in the world trying to make it as a lawyer. I find my career to be extremely satisfying, but my personality type does present some unique challenges in this job. Would be great to find some others who can relate!!
I just took the LSAT, so I there's a chance I'll join you. I started a topic on this awhile back and found one other poster who had made a long career out of it.

That said, what I really want to do is work in diplomacy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just took the LSAT, so I there's a chance I'll join you. I started a topic on this awhile back and found one other poster who had made a long career out of it.

That said, what I really want to do is work in diplomacy.
Nice, when do you start law school? And who was the other poster--I'd be interested in looking him/her up.

I chose to focus on family law, so my love of people definitely helps in many respects with this particular area of the law. I don't always feel well-suited to doing the really detail-oriented work involved in dividing assets in a divorce and things like that, but the things I find satisfying about this job always relate to my constant interactions with people. I'm not as quick to come up with practical solutions to emotionally charged situations the way my boss does (I believe he's an ENTP), but I always want to leave things better for my clients, and I feel the most satisfied when I have done that.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Nice, when do you start law school? And who was the other poster--I'd be interested in looking him/her up.

I chose to focus on family law, so my love of people definitely helps in many respects with this particular area of the law. I don't always feel well-suited to doing the really detail-oriented work involved in dividing assets in a divorce and things like that, but the things I find satisfying about this job always relate to my constant interactions with people. I'm not as quick to come up with practical solutions to emotionally charged situations the way my boss does (I believe he's an ENTP), but I always want to leave things better for my clients, and I feel the most satisfied when I have done that.
If the LSAT pans out, I figured I'd just apply for Fall 2011. Oh, and that that poster hasn't posted since March, so I wouldn't worry about it. :tongue:

Family law doesn't sound half bad though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have done inumerable tests to try and find my perfect career. I'm definatly people orientated, i got brill scores in R.E and english. I am currently taking a college course in subjects I that don't match up with my strengths. What could I do with an A level in Religious education? I don't know? :happy:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have done inumerable tests to try and find my perfect career. I'm definatly people orientated, i got brill scores in R.E and english. I am currently taking a college course in subjects I that don't match up with my strengths. What could I do with an A level in Religious education? I don't know? :happy:
Cool, I took those at A Level too...I used them to go to university and get a degree in English and Creative Writing.

I have a friend who did an RE type degree, she is going into teaching, but she was telling me you could use a degree in RE (Or comparitive religion, I think it was called) to do all sorts of things, as it showed an awairness and interest in people/diversity.

Me?

I work in a book shop. :laughing: It's not a graduate job, but I really enjoy it because I get to help people and share my knowledge of books with them. I feel great inside when ever someone thanks me for helping them find a gift for someone, or a book on something a bit obsure...there are boring bits, like paper work and shelving, but over all it's a fun job to have. Because I am working face to face with customers, everyday is slightly different, and I am always being challenged.

Also...I get my hands on books by my favorate authurs as soon as they come out.

I am just doing this while I work out what to do long term, but I am struggling to find something that fits my talents and interests.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

I'm an ENFP barrister, which I guess is the UK equivalent of a "counsellor" in the States, attorney work is generally left to solicitors here. But I don't know many ENFP lawyers. I love my job, very people orientated, human rights laws tend to fit my own value system like a glove and I get to do pro bono work for those who badly need my help. I find the career tremendously satisfying, but yes, the minutiae of legal rules can grate on me. Otherwise, client based advocacy is really for me, it allows me to use words and the ENFP wit and charm in abundance. Also, it's a career for people who don't need much sleep, and that's pretty much me! However, I think you are right, I didn't think there was ANY other ENFP lawyer in the world at one stage :blushed:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
O I am really feeling low about this, I have tryed almost everything and I cannot find the career that suits me best! I honestly think sometimes I'll end up jobless.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh! I have just looked at some of the articles, and I definatly think I know what I want to do...But I probably will change my mind again *sigh*...

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
From my understanding, ENFPs like people-oriented job: ones that offer advice, guidance, etc.

Just make sure to be realistic in your career choice - make sure it can pay the bills.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
O I am really feeling low about this, I have tryed almost everything and I cannot find the career that suits me best! I honestly think sometimes I'll end up jobless.
If I have any recurring fear in life, this is it. :sad: Good to know I'm not alone.

Oh! I have just looked at some of the articles, and I definatly think I know what I want to do...But I probably will change my mind again *sigh*...
It doesn't mean you couldn't change your mind back to this thing afterwards. I've done that with just about everything. You just have to keep your options open and deadlines in mind. Like, find a way to convince yourself that the effort for the application is worth it, even if it's just for the "what if" factor, or shits and giggles. Easier said than done, but it can be done!

From my understanding, ENFPs like people-oriented job: ones that offer advice, guidance, etc.

Just make sure to be realistic in your career choice - make sure it can pay the bills.
I think for me, the key to satisfaction is to find a job where I can foster a specialized skill and provide that skill to someone who will actually benefit from it. The thing is that I wouldn't feel my skill is specialized enough if it just came down to advice, guidance, teaching, etc... unless I had some sort of training, experience or approach that could set me apart and actually make me stand out as useful. I've had many jobs where I just relied on my natural skills and "winged it", and I did well, but it wasn't satisfying in the end. If I'm doing something like that, I'd much rather volunteer.

Reactions: abitsilly

·
Registered
644 Posts
abitsilly, do you know what your interests are and what sort of things you really enjoy, or would enjoy doing?

I found just working in general helped me find out what it was I was good at and might be able to turn into money.

I'm still looking for the job where I can do those things though, but it at least gives me some direction and criteria to meet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts