Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are certain ways in which I care about what people think. In some ways I care a lot, in some ways not at all. But when it comes to not caring about certain values other people have, or that of society, it sometimes confuses people.

I care a lot about my appearance and looking like I'm well put together. Then I turn out to be completely unreliable to other people and I'll just not care. A lot of people will think I'm able to do all these things. It's been like the Halo Effect. They might count on me to do something then all of a sudden I bail out. Then when they get angry or confused I feel no guilt.

For example: An acquaintance of mine helped me get a job. He put in a good word for me because he thought I was "good with computers" because I appear to be for whatever reason. I had an interview with the manager and she hired me because I "appeared to be smart." Then I trained for 3 days and on the 4th day I didn't like the job so I walked out without saying anything and never talked to anyone there ever again.

I have this desire to be really good at something. And once I am I lose interest in it and quit and people don't understand. I've done it my whole life. In 4th grade, after practicing the whole summer for the diving meet, I won 1st place with my 1 1/2 front flip dive. The next day I went to practice and did a flip and landed on my back in the water and it hurt and I started crying and I quit and didn't think twice. it's not as bad as it seems but these are just some extreme examples

Are there ways in which you care about what others think, and then other ways in which you don't?

Or something weird? Or do you relate? Discuss.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I care a lot about my appearance and looking like I'm well put together too, but not so much for an effect on others, it's mostly just for me to feel nice. But when someone expects me to do something, especially if they ask me to, I take it very seriously. If I don't do it well, I feel somewhat bad, unless the person asks me for a stupid favor.

For example, if someone asked me to clean up a mess s/he made, and later complained for not doing it well enough, I couldn't care less. But if someone entrusted me with something important, I'd make sure it is well done.

In your case with the job, I would have said something like "No, I am not good at computers" to avoid confusion. Because, from my view, it seems like other people help you, and unless it works well for you, you don't care (I could be wrong in this).

I don't really have a desire to be really good at much, and I, too, like to lose interest. Some people will understand, some won't, but either way, it's not a good habit. Being able to stick to things you start, despite setbacks, is something we need. I think for your diving experience, it's because you attached a negative feeling to diving in general, and never went back. I've trained myself to stick through in doing things that need to be done, even if I don't enjoy it (such as paying the bills, I don't do it yet, but I know I have to eventually). My method is to make it enjoyable, by doing something more fun while completing said task.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
It is rare that I flake on people, even though I want to all the time. When I do flake, I am good about apologizing. I couldn't see myself walking away from a job in that way. Not to say that what you did was wrong; just that I wouldn't do it.

I abandon interests a fair amount, but mostly it's because new ones crop up all the time. I'm not sure how this part is related to caring about what others think.

My appearance is pretty low maintenance. Cute comfortable clothes, good hygiene, minimal makeup (usually just eyeliner), and I'm done. I want to look presentable, but I don't care about being the hottest person in sight.

·
Registered
885 Posts
this sounds like my best friend, hes an ENFP. Gets into stuff, then quits because he gets bored. the funny thing he doesnt give a damm about it and because of his charm he can get away with it. he literally charms his way through life xd

·
Registered
790 Posts
Very interesting.. mm With me, it's kind of a subconscious thing... I seem to care about what people think, until I know that they're already "charmed" by me and like me, then I care less about how I appear or what I do.... For example, if I meet someone new, I'll be concerned with what they might think about me..I'll look good, be my normal cutesy self... But after I get to know them and I know they like me, I'll be less concerned about what they think... especially if I'm not interested in them that much.. Sometimes I'm even off-putting or rude because I don't care what they think about me, and I know I can get away with acting like whatever/looking like whatever/doing whatever I want...

but I think everyone is like that to a degree?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I care about what people think about my morals. I don't want to be seen as hypocritical or closed-minded, because I'm not. I'm also not a wallflower or doormat...so I hate to be seen that way too. Or overly dramatic.

But then again I will run around Walmart in just a suit jacket and then change into a 12 yr old boys Spongebob outfit set...completely sober...to the astonishment and admiration of all my friends. They probably judged me hard...and I didn't think about it once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts