Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i just notice that the cartoons that we are watching back then are more good that the anime that kids watch this days...
what do you think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Even though my kids watch some shows like Dora and Yo Gabba Gabba, their all time fav is Tom and Jerry.
I grew up with cartoons only on Sat mornings. I think cartoons today (at least some) have a education slant to them in some ways so I guess it's good that some channels have them going 24/7.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I disagree completely, no offense.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would have to disagree as well. I did enjoy looney toons, transformers, and the older cartoons growing up, but I'll have to go with anime. Certain ones are miles ahead anything I saw growing up. Not all anime or cartoons are created equally. Some anime isn't so good as well. The best anime does out weigh the best of cartoons, but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Animies are not cartoons? Since when?
I thought anime meant "Asian Cartoons".

·
Registered
158 Posts
I say Anime :happy:

Both have their good and bad categories but I do prefer anime, no contest. But some cartoons will always have that special place in my heart for me. Bugs Bunny in the Barber of Seville, Ren and Stimpy, Spongebob, the Ant and the Aardvark (from The Pink Panther), good 'ol Shaggy and Scooby-doo...I blame Shaggy's love for scooby snacks for making me want to try canned dog food...yeah, true story.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hi, i just notice that the cartoons that we are watching back then are more good that the anime that kids watch this days...
what do you think?
I disagree. The cartoons in the 90s were excellent but they also had really great anime as well. (Think Neon Genesis Evangelion, Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, One Piece, etc.). The anime today are pretty great too like: Code Geass, Death Note, Clannad, etc.

Whereas the cartoons these days just seem to suck with shows like Squirrel Boy, My Gym Partnet is a Monkey, Camp Lazlo, and many more with a few exceptions being like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Avatar the Last Airbender, and Ben10. They just don't seem to make good cartoons anymore like: Dexter's Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Looney Toons, Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo, Gargoyles, Batman, etc. Or perhaps I've just outgrown cartoons and don't see the quality of the cartoons these days.

Animies are not cartoons? Since when?
I thought anime meant "Asian Cartoons".
You're right, anime in Japanese just means cartoons but if you ask some people they'll be all elitist and say that anime is specifically Japanese cartoons. It's all cartoons in the end.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I am somewhere in between. I loved cartoons when I a kid, particularly Scooby-Do. Nevertheless, my favorite all time cartoon/anime were the three Robotech series. I have not seen a great deal of anime, though I think Cowboy Bebop is art. I do not think one is superior to another (though I think Dragonball Z is ridiculous).

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Ah.....

Nostalgia clouds my answer on this a little. If I watch some of the cartoons I watched growing up like Scooby-doo, He-Man, M.A.S.K., Thundercats, Transformers, and G.I. Joe, there can be some moments where I can remember back to those days of ol' in a way. Thus, I have a somewhat romantic view on these compared to new stuff. I still watch some shows like Yu-gi-oh 5Ds which has some interesting parallels to shows like Voltron that I remember growing up watching but it doesn't quite have the magic. Though don't get started on the Spiderman from the '60s that is nearly ridiculous to watch now and think, "This was cool back then, really?"

Course there is also more mature stuff like The Animatrix, Aeon Flux, and A Scanner Darkly, if one wants something with more mature content with varying time periods here as the middle were those Liquid TV ones that weren't quite captured fully on the screen but then the way the characters were drawn would be kind of hard to put into a live-action film without some major airbrushing being done.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The only cartoons I liked as a kid were "Road Runner", "Pink Panther", and "Ant and the Aardvark". What passes for cartoons now SUCKS big time!! I can't even stand to listen to them when they are on in another room!

For now, I am very much enjoying certain anime (heck, what's the plural of anime?). The story lines can be better than many "grown up" show plots, and the humor can be there as well.

So, what happened to the US cartoon industry anyway? When did we hand over so much originality and creativity? Selling out maybe? Sad.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
This thread was interesting, so Gen Y is giving it a reboot. I cast a noncounting vote for anime.

·
Registered
58 Posts
not my generation: but let me say the very first actual anime I was introduced to was "speed racer" and that came out in the 60s/70s (though I watched it when I was in elementary school in the 90s) and I don't think many people then actually knew it was a Japanese cartoon ~.^

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
I hated Speed Racer and dislike full-fledged anime. I'm too old to watch cartoons, but I enjoyed some of them.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Even though my kids watch some shows like Dora and Yo Gabba Gabba, their all time fav is Tom and Jerry.
I grew up with cartoons only on Sat mornings. I think cartoons today (at least some) have a education slant to them in some ways so I guess it's good that some channels have them going 24/7.
Funny, my son (5) is the same. He loooves Tom and Jerry. And he is warming up to Road Runner/ Coyote cartoons. I think all kids like seeing the antagonist in pain. Schadenfreude is fun!
That said, I sometime enjoy what he watches. Yo Gabba Gabba is great.

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
I don't watch anime, generally, so I can't speak intelligently about it except to say that the graphics can be quite good (albeit very stylized). I probably should watch some of the better-rated anime that has come out.

My favorite cartoons growing up (the good stuff, not the kitzchy stuff) included:
- Bugs Bunny / Daffy Duck / Road Runner / Looney Tunes. These are still classics, IMO, and it's a shame they are not out more.
- Anything else done by Chuck Jones (such as The Grinch).
- Schoolhouse Rock

I did watch other things, that were fun in their own way, like Scooby Doo, Speed Racer, etc., but I can't say they were "good."

I also have a soft spot for Thundarr the Barbarian (ha) and -- although I was an adult by then -- Thundercats.

I consider most cartoons to stink throughout the late 70's and the 80's. Disney was part of the problem; they grew vapid and predictable, and meanwhile Hanna Barbera with its cheap production values stepped in to fill the void. Disney's revamp in the late 80's / early 90's actually was a good thing, and once Spielburg/Warner Bros brought out Tiny Toons, we were finally back on track.

I actually think a host of great cartoons have come out since the early/mid-90's.

- Animaniacs
- Pinky and the Brain
- Batman: Animated Series
- Powerpuff Girls
- Dexter's Lab
- Fairly Oddparents
- Simpsons
- Futurama
- SpongeBob Squarepants
- Ren & Stimpy
- The Tick
- South Park
- King of the Hill
.. and that's not even an extensive list. (If you look up stuff, you can see a HOST more cartoons for the 90's and onwards versus the late 70's and the 80's.)

I'll even have to credit Rugrats, since it was actually aimed more towards the SF types (a rarity) rather than the wild, wacky N type cartoons, and matured to completion.

The cool thing about the revitalization is that we broke away from generic cartoons that looked the same (the epitome of Hanna Barbera) and instead had companies trying to put out shows that were completely different from other shows. Unfortunately, as with what happened with alternative music, it all eventually became mainsteam, and some of the offerings were just different in order to be different rather than having a life and coherent flair of their own. people were just making up quirky styles and tones, but they didn't necessarily work.

However, I just can't acknowledge Pokemon.
Sorry.
Even though Team Rocket is kind of crazy-funny for being utterly stupid. (blarg)

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Anime tends to leave me cold, so I've probably missed out on good stuff. I do remember a couple that I watched: the Crying Freeman series was fairly decent in my book. Not enough to make me rave over it, or compulsively watch more.

This might sound stupid - give me Charlotte's Web. An adult-like storyline. I can no longer handle things like Road Runner. Still enjoy the silly Porky Pig, Bugs Bunny, and Daffy Duck ones.

Sheesh I feel old.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I watched most of the classic American Saturday morning cartoons as a kid (Looney Tunes, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs), and then Nickelodeon 24/7. Anyone remember SNICK (Saturday Night Nick?). I was all about Doug and Ren & Stimpy. Still watch Southpark and King of the Hill.

I think the anime got real popular after my time, so I cannot really judge on whether it is "better." I mean, I want to say that what I watched growing up was better, but that is just nostalgia talking.

What is terrible is not so much the anime, but the Disney Channel crap. And to a certain extent, what Nickelodeon is putting out.

I also feel incredibly sorry for today's teenagers...they will never know of a time when MTV only played music videos.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Technically, Animes are still cartoons. But well, I certainly can distinguish anime (asian cartoons) from the good old classic ones like they are separate and distinct! Those were gold. I would never trade them for the cartoons we have today.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts