Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
35 years Old, trained to be a concert pianist for the first 15 years, but turned out to be a vehicle Engineer/ function developer. Although not my profession, music is definitely the most valuable and important thing and overshadows everything else in my life.

Internet based tests have identified me as an INTX, with a flip-flop between p and J and with a little preference towards INTP (I 65% N85% T65% P55%). Naturally not satisfied with ambiguity of results I researched about cognitive functions and found myself to be definitely an INTP.

Ti and Ne are certainly my dominant functions, but I can also use my Te effectively (because of my job). The main reason that I identify myself as INTP, is my extremely weak Se. (I am almost handicap here)

Learning Method
…………………………………….
My standard learning process like every INTP was analyzing everything with details until it crystallized into my mind. I hesitated to leave any black-box and spent a lot of time for details which I would be never going to use in my project. However after this crystallization, my mind flourished with so many possibilities and new ideas (Ne). Although sometimes useful in many cases most of these ideas were lost forever.

New Method:
I learned this from music. I discovered instead of practicing a piece of work for hundreds of hours it is better to attack it during a period of high ethical connection (something like method acting in theater) and then just leave it. As I am not a professional musician, I could wait for a piece of music for years and after few years I had a dozen of sophisticated works in my piano repertoire.

Now I use something similar for learning and understanding scientific papers, ideas, patents, etc. Instead of detailed analysis, I attack the text, always hearing a loud complex music simultaneously. On purpose I avoid making a full concentration. In the first round I can only get a total image of the work, and some fade images of formulas, and images. The whole process can take as less as 30 minutes (let’s say for 10 pages). I do this maybe for 3-4 articles, each 3 times let’s say in two weeks.

Then I begin with the second important phase: I rebuild the process in my mind for hours (Every day in U-Bahn or weekend at home). At the beginning, most of the time they are some unrelated fantasies and cartoon-like creation of mind, however I pretend (with rudeness) they come from my own unconsciousness and try to form them into more applicable forms. Then I repeat the whole process again. In fact I never analyze those articles in details ( maybe later some other ones) but I construct some abstract ideas from them. My goal is not to find any new ideas, but to insert various ideas into my unconsciousness without disturbing my consciousness-mind (Which at that moment has other priorities)

After 2-3 months, I get a very interesting kind of symbolic knowing in that theme, although not explicit knowledge but I can mix myself in any discussion with experts and take any kind of responsibility. If I receive an actual project with deadlines then I switch to my classical method, however now I have all strings my hand (mind) and often can find the optimal path very fast. Actually since I have opted to this method, my professional life has been changed.

Now here come the questions: Which processes in your opinion is used here? How are they balanced? Do I animating other types? If they are not my natural processes (INTP) how can I have used them without any burden and fatigue syndrome for the last two years? (Assuming that my natural type is certainly INTP)

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Your learning style is actually recommend as it improves your ability to memorize the text you're working on. I've tried this but I can't do it. It requires too much work (reading through the text 2+ times). I seem to read by reading it carefully but instead discussing the important bits and pieces with myself (I'm auditory so I tend to speak aloud when processing complicated information) and this makes me memorize what I want to memorize.

I honestly think it might have to do somewhat with learning style because I do what you do kind of, in the second phase. Because here I reconnect the dots that I spoke aloud by thinking about the paper afterwards. And the way you seem to try to memorize seems INTP to me. You use Ne to gather information but you don't let Ti sort the information until later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts