Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are there certain jobs that appeal uniquely to ENFP's and all our quirks?
Because, I feel like there are a lot of catch 22's with my personality and "work"....might as well be oil and water.

A couple examples,

~Everything interests me ---but--- Most jobs focus on one thing.

~I like to engage with people ---but--- it becomes tiring rather quickly and I want to seclude.

~I love Secluded and mentally stimulating work ----but then I get bored because I want to share what I learned.

~I do very well in speaking positions----but ----repetitive sales positions wear me out and speaking without a purpose is discouraged.

.......at the end of the day, I am an unfulfilled dreamer (having not made any of those dreams a bonafide reality) and that is disappointing. Then, my attention shifts and I forget the dream.

All these ideas and excitement bubbling forth and nothing to show for it. How utterly discouraging.

How do I focus the lightning?

·
Registered
204 Posts
What do you do?

Conservation work is both people-y and practical and gives you the fun of interaction, plus the challenge of fighting for large scale change, and very varied working environments. Suits me anyway :)

I ended up where I am completely by accident... I followed my interests. What do you love to do?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've balanced my work with my personality. I'm a night shift front desk attendant in a fancy apartment building. People ask "how can you work alone? You're a people person!", but it's perfect.

I get people passing through my lobby on and off all night. A quick cursory "hello/good evening/how are you/how was the [Pittsburgh sports team] game?" and a few words and they're off up the elevator to bed. Sometimes people want to stop and chat, sometimes not. It's up to them.

Slow night? I get to indulge me seclusion nature, reading a book, watching a movie, playing civilization - all the while ready to snap my book or my laptop shut and go social the moment the elevator dings or the lobby door opens.

I have one single coworker down in the valet office, who has no real reason to come upstairs and talk to me, but if I'm in the mood I can go down and talk to him.

It's not the highest paying job - actually the pay kind of stinks to raise a family on, but I like it and it fits my personality.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I like what I do as a Physical Therapist. It is a structured schedule during the day, but each day is different. I have the freedom to to tailor each treatment session individually. I also have an office that I can retreat to for some down time.

My Mother had always told me that I would be happiest working for myself not someone else. Meaning, I like my freedom, my own schedule, being creative, and being with people. It has worked for me.

I don't think I could ever be confined to cubical space. I would be spending all of my time posting pictures of birds being set free from their cages! Fly away birdie! Be FREE!!!!

In short, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I don't think I will ever grow up! I am a life long learner and my interests keep changing. I am currently into art, photography, and west coast dancing. Will I make a living with them? probably not. So, I have my career. But I am at a point that they make me HAPPY!!! So, I do them.

Focus the lightning by following your heart~

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I work as a knife demonstrator, speaking in front of crowds ranging from 5-40, 10-15 times a day.

I like the speaking part, I don't like the frequency of the demonstration and the complete lack of creativity. (have to go out now, be back later with a more explored answer)

·
Registered
204 Posts
@dpt727 beautifully articulated :) That is exactly, exactly, how I feel about my life and interests. I do what I love, I am what I do, I cannot be happier than when I am following my heart. Thanks for capturing that :)

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I think being a elementary school teacher would be a great job for an ENFP. I would probably do it if it paid a lot more and had less paperwork. Having a mental illness doesn't help either, its a big workload for anyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts