Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hate it when this happens, but i go through phases and my cave mode is when i crawl into a cave and i hate running into people and i feel like i dont want any personal contact - email, phone, person. im sure it has somewhat to do with self-loathing right now, not feeling like i'm doing all the things i need to for school/work, feeling emotionally isolated etc. so usually i ride it out, but i can't afford to be stuck in this mode, so how does one pull oneself out of cave mode?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I usually keep doing it until I get bored of it. Can take a while! I've been in that mode for months. My mood has changed a bit. Being a bit more positive now, but still not venturing out into the world. I'll go out for a walk with my mom to get out of the house, which usually makes both of us feel better. I don't mind staying a recluse right now because at least I'm not spending money on anyone else (or myself for that matter) so it just means that I can save up and go somewhere else quicker.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I get in this mode more often than I'd like to admit. I don't have any advice on it, though, besides it will pass. Sometimes I think it's my default mode!

Reactions: Burning Lion

·
Registered
383 Posts
I get it as well, my suggestion is to wait it out as your going into it for a reason, most likely because you need time to work some serious stuff out and to recharge. Besides its great to remember who you are. But as you ask how to pull your self out of it I suggest that you attempt to only be out of your cave during the times necessary ( by just forcing your self is the only thing that comes to my mind) and then to go straight back into cave mode until you next have to venture out into the sunlight.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Cave mode wears on me quickly, I don't like being in that state for long, I feel unproductive and uninspired, so little information coming in from the outside world(yeah I'm a weird INFJ). I get a healthy dose of isolation at least a few times a week. I make a point to have some "cave" time during the week or I know my reserves will dry up and I will go into full on cave mod for a few days and hate it. If I am wanting to go into cave mode and I need to drive somewhere I will roll my windows down and turn my music on and just sing as I drive not giving a flip about people staring at me, its sooo cathartic. One of the best ways I have experienced to really purge everything is I will go out and drive in the middle of the night(2-4 a.m.) when there are no cars on the street and just the lights of the city, windows rolled down and no music just relaxing, maybe a little music but turned down.

For me, I dunno if this applies to other INFJs but I hate being in cave mode too long, there is a great big world out there for us to be in, to be inspired from to get charged from if we just take from it what can really charge us. My entire day will be changed by something I can draw out from the world around me that others won't notice or won't give as much importance to.
As INFJs we have the tendency to lock ourselves away from the world, in our own little shell for reasons specific to that person. I am not short changing or belittling the reasons for the isolation, I can only fathom the reasons of why a person would want to do so. However, don't forget how extraordinary the world outside our minds is. Even if the world has done terrible horrible things to us, it doesn't mean we have to turn our backs to it, we can charge head on into the world or maybe a little more cautiously and really take it slowly. Whatever is a person's circumstances are, don't forget how special we are to be living in a world so amazing, even with all of the pain and the hunger, we can change that, only if we go into the world, going into oneself won't solve everything.

Don't just stop and smell the roses of life, get out of your shell, walk out away from the road and walk amongst the trees. There is oh so much in the world that goes unappreciated that can really affect a person if you look hard enough and with a soft sensitive heart and eyes. Roll your winds down when you drive, don't close yourself off from the world more then you need to, to survive. Isolation is great and works wonders for us but don't forget how great, big, beautiful and awe inspiring the world is.

To grow we must go out of our comfort zone, we can only grow so much by going internally. It must be a balance, to go inside when we need it and to force ourselves out of our comfort zone to stir up growth and inspiration. Possibly even get recharged from the things outside of our minds.

“I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, To put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die Discover that I had not lived.” Henry David Thoreau

·
Super Moderator
11,643 Posts
“I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, To put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die Discover that I had not lived.” Henry David Thoreau
Thoreau Does Know
by Dalien

Interweaving
Beauty abounds
Hold them in your hands
Heart beating
Listen to the sounds
Mold them in your mind
Mind bending
Swirling all around
Fold them always near
Interlacing
Soul dancing
Bold peaceful release

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
doooooode

not to be a "repeating myself" asshole or anything... but seriously...

caffine. and running..
hopefully you remember reading that from my last thread where you had a similar mode to that which you are in now.
at least try it.
can't hurt right.

unless your in a wheelchair... then I can understand why you ignored my advice on your last thread.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
GreenCoyote's got the right idea here.

The hardest part though is persuading yourself out of wanting to feel this way.

It won't happen voluntarily, but when you get that single thought that pipes up and says "Why am I still doing this?", listen to it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i hate it when this happens, but i go through phases and my cave mode is when i crawl into a cave and i hate running into people and i feel like i dont want any personal contact - email, phone, person. im sure it has somewhat to do with self-loathing right now, not feeling like i'm doing all the things i need to for school/work, feeling emotionally isolated etc. so usually i ride it out, but i can't afford to be stuck in this mode, so how does one pull oneself out of cave mode?
I don't want to tell you how you're feeling, but are you sure that your "cave mode" isn't really just your natural introverted desire to be by yourself sometimes? I know that I need time alone, away from people (I even imagine being in a cave!) but it's just the way introverts are.

You might want to give yourself permission to spend some time in your cave mode and work on really enjoying it. Turn your phone and computer off, go somewhere completely relaxing and luxuriate in all that peace and quiet!

As far as pulling yourself out of "cave mode" how about just setting up a get together with someone who brightens your day? Make it someone you’re in sync with, who understands you and give yourself permission to make it as short or long as you want.

Melinda

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have been in cave mode recently too. I feel your pain. Until I figured out what it is I need to see then I figure I am stuck here. I am emotionally sick right now. Someone stole from me.

caffine. and running..
hopefully you remember reading that from my last thread where you had a similar mode to that which you are in now.
at least try it.
can't hurt right.
I drink cafine in the afternoon to stay awake and feel better, but for the last week for some reason it makes me feel even more horrible and want to cry. :mellow: Whatever. :dry: I need to stay in cave mode for a while and not talk about it so it does not rub off on anyone else. :frustrating:

Happy times.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I have been in cave mode recently too. I feel your pain. Until I figured out what it is I need to see then I figure I am stuck here. I am emotionally sick right now. Someone stole from me.
that really sucks :( i hope it wasn't a friend that did this to you

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

I drink cafine in the afternoon to stay awake and feel better, but for the last week for some reason it makes me feel even more horrible and want to cry. :mellow: Whatever. :dry: I need to stay in cave mode for a while and not talk about it so it does not rub off on anyone else. :frustrating:

Happy times.
yeah... caffine can do that sometimes.
I honestly think when these times roll around, it is best to cry it out.

if caffine isn't picking you up and it is making you cry i would suggest getting to a tanning bed.
those always make me feel a bit better, then caffine the next day.

but you know... sometimes a good cry is just what the doctor ordered.

I can't really tell you otherwise cause I do dwell in my misery quite often as well. but i am learning to make it only brief moments and to gt back up quickly, also keeping myself from overly stressing myself and my relationships also helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts