Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a love/hate relationship with my phone.

A dicotomy sort of exists inside me that says "this is great, this is my life line of communication to the world," and then another voice creeps up and says , "I don't want others to have this level of intimate access to me".

I create a certain amout of physical and psychological space from people in real life, and unfortunately modern day technology (cell phones) encourage a sort of feeling of entitlement to users that says "this is my means of communicting with you-- I know you hear me calling and I know you see I texted, therefore you are obligated to read me/respond/talk. And because of this, I am tempted to turn off my phone a lot of the time.

I've been on the receiving end of a some pretty mean words because others have been offended and hurt that I didn't immediately respond to their text, or just didn't respond at all.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Mine is off. If that says anything -- sometimes, I wonder if I might be an introvert because I do like my distance from certain people. I also get irritated when she brings her friends in her pocket when I'm on a date. I've gone so far to text someone to turn her phone off. I don't expect people to pick up or text back right away, I mean people have lives you know. I don't always answer my parents either. I never feel obliged to give people my undivided attention; especially when I'm doing something or just want some quiet to lounge around read, drink tea and bum around in internet forums. It's only a leash if you allow it to be.

Reactions: Ahiko_chan

·
Registered
696 Posts
I know what you mean.

That is why I do not give my number out to many people, like less than fingers and toes combined.

I do love it though because it allows me that same access to others and since I'm a nice guy people are not annoyed, also cause I dont call much

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I don't have a cell-phone, or a desire for one. I did have a phone for about a year, but I never used it and typically just forgot it at home, so it was useless.
I don't want to text, because texting conversations are often conversations you have when you're bored so you text someone. That means you don't actually have something interesting to say, you just want someone to entertain you.
I also feel it can give you a very unhealthy disconnection from reality. I typically don't get annoyed by my friends getting caught up in things, but once we were having dinner together at a casual resturant, and they were both just texting.
I get it if you're bored alone, but if you can talk to other friends in person it's just rude. Then there are people who seem like they have anxiety attacks when they have to leave their phone somewhere.

Also, an ENTP friend I had recently gave up her phone because she kept losing it and was more annoyed than anything when people texted her. Seems lots of people don't understand when you have more important things to do than text them about nothing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My phone is perfect.

I've got facebook, whatsapp, twitter every possible way to connect.
I've reached a point that I get texted A LOT. I don't know if you guys got the same thing in the USA, but very popular here in the Netherlands are Group WhatsApps (Groupchats for texting). That means my inbox is spammed all the time -> means i put off notifications -> gives me excuses not to react immediately -> means I can choose when to react, choose when to answer (oh sorry, i didn't see it!).

Means I manipulated the telephone connectivity all in my own profit.

When I feel for it, I'm connected with everyone very quickly (in "business" it's quick and wonderfull!)

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm curious to an absurd degree, so I primarily love my phone for the ability to go into a google frenzy anytime I get a 'Research That!' hair up my butt... which is far too often.

I don't have many people, so not many texts come along. In the rare case it actually rings, I'll answer it if it's my wife and -- Well, usually otherwise, you're getting my voicemail. Or at least whatever voicemail is set up with the phone when I got it. Mostly it's my portable trivia box.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,568 Posts
l keep the phone on but very much resent instant messengers most of the time.

l at least need space online lol. l hate forgetting to keep up with the settings and getting caught xD

l spent about a year on facebook. Enough said.

sometimes l leave the phone at home and people can FUCK OFF if that's a problem xD

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
15,031 Posts
I turn my ringer off most of the time. What it really is for me is: portable internet access, an alarm clock, and an emergency contact device.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My phone is perfect.

I've got facebook, whatsapp, twitter every possible way to connect.
I've reached a point that I get texted A LOT. I don't know if you guys got the same thing in the USA, but very popular here in the Netherlands are Group WhatsApps (Groupchats for texting). That means my inbox is spammed all the time -> means i put off notifications -> gives me excuses not to react immediately -> means I can choose when to react, choose when to answer (oh sorry, i didn't see it!).

Means I manipulated the telephone connectivity all in my own profit.

When I feel for it, I'm connected with everyone very quickly (in "business" it's quick and wonderfull!)
I do the exact same thing. Most of my communication with my friends is done through WhatsApp. It makes everything a lot easier to coordinate, and it really helps the ENTJ in our group get everyone together whenever he has some grand plans. It's a bit annoying from time to time though, but then I can just mute the group for an hour or 24.

I'm also available trough Facebook on my phone. And I'm usually always too curious to not read a message that is sent me, and most of the applications indicate at which time I read the message. I don't have any problems telling people no, though. And if I'm busy, I just tell them that I'll get back to them later when I have time. Find my friend, great for group events.

I really love technology. And as people has already pointed out, you can just choose not to take part, at any time, if you feel like it.

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
I use my phone for Dead Space, all of these Google Play video games, Spotify, Pandora, internet, blah blah blah...

Everything but texting and calling. I will reply to emails and generally email over text messaging, because email gives the person some time to think and reply.

Half of the time I don't even need to make phone calls, because my family would rather Skype with me at the computer and be able to see my face.

I keep social network sites off my phone because I get the "Oh you're such a fucking douche bag online, I'm not gonna talk to you ever again."
Everyone who knows me irl knows I'm not a fucking douche bag.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I have a phone, let's leave it at that. I need it, but i really don't want it. It's better as a small computer than it is as a phone. That part is awesome. I do most of my communicating ( which almost always revolves about setting up get togethers ) over facebook. I have a couple of text groups too, so that necessitates the phone sadly.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I use my phone alot, but just like everyone else, I use it more as a computer that I can take everywhere. I don't text alot of people, and I get complaints that I'm a slow texter. I don't feel like text conversations are worth while or meaningful so I won't make answering a text a priority unless I'm super bored and don't have anything else to do. I love the fact that I CAN communicate with the rest of the world, but I usually don't take advantage of it, really. More than anything else, I use my phone to check current events, check social media (Twitter, Instagram), and random searches of questions I have throughout the day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I resisted a phone til I was 18. In college I finally gave in. It's brilliant for organizing meet ups and last minute changes, so for that I really love it. But I've been told I can sound mean and curt because I'm very blunt in my texts. Overall it's much too slow for my tastes. And my inbox is ALWAYS ALWAYS full (dumb phone), voicemail too if I get to setting it up.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Wow, I feel like the oddball out.

I LOVE my phone. I have a couple iPhone groupchats with different friend groups that I keep up with, I use it to check facebook, twitter, play games with my friends, and it's my alarm clock.

I don't want to actually be in constant contact with people, but I like being able to be in immediate contact with people. People text me, I get to decide when to text them back.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
I turn my ringer off most of the time. What it really is for me is: portable internet access, an alarm clock, and an emergency contact device.
See I like my phone for the same reason, it's portable internet access, wakes me up, and also it's nice knowing you have an easy way to contact people if you're in an emergency situation. I think it also helps enhances my P-ness by compensating for my lack of J-ness. I'm able to easily make plans on the go and easily change them if need be (and have access to the information available to easily do so).

Personally my phone is a work phone I was told to use also as a personal phone also and I've pretty much had that situation for the last 5 out of 6 years (employer paid for the phone). I know sometimes it gets annoying the whole being expected to instantly answer. I have a friend who rarely texts (because supposedly nobody responds to him) so he just calls. It's nice to shoot the crap every here and there but basically a random call when I'm usually in the middle of something does get a little annoying because I have to drop everything or get questioned a ton why I can't pick up my phone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My phone's a non-issue since I stopped using it two months ago when the persistent flashing light started to grate. Seemed to be constantly demanding my attention and the internet meant I whiled away days overloading on (mostly random) information.

Surprisingly enough, I don't miss it. Another procrastination source eliminated, hurrah! However, it seems the people sending me irate messages over facebook telling me to switch it back on do miss the phone. Why can't they just meet me in person or talk over the internet. It's simple, really.

·
Registered
234 Posts
FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

I use it infrequently and only for really practical things, and I hate hate hate when people are socializing on it when we're hanging out. I think it's bizarre that that's socially acceptable in our culture today. I have stuck with an old flip phone so I don't use it as a computer at all. I would much rather talk with people face-to-face; socializing via texting seems cold and robotic to me.

(she types ironically into an internet cafe forum)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I don't like communicating through text/talk frequently. I do do it occasionally, but I much rather have face to face communication. There is a lot of miscommunication through texting and even talking on the phone since you can't see people's reactions to things. I mainly use text/phone/email for informational purposes instead of recreational.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
You forgot music player.

Personally, I love my iPhone! It has a nifty little app on it that gets me other random free apps (one per day that sometimes intrigue me) and it has some others that I use everyday. It's also got duolingo on it which is helping me with my spanish and other (eventually) language list!!!

Then, it's a music player, which I really, really love.

But as an actual phone... meh... I apparently don't have very good ability of using it to talk to women like I do face to face so...meh...

And I don't really have anybody that texts me so... meh...

But I love the apps and stuff lmao!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts