Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which response would you choose, and why?

• I prefer to know what I am getting into.
  • I like adapting to new situations.
  • I'm really a mixture of both
Source: Personality Test

Reactions: Jennywocky

·
Registered
158 Posts
Both?

If I'm consenting to something - like doing a favor, or registering for an event or class, I expect to know what's going to happen. I won't like extra commitments beyond what I consented to.

BUT if Murphy enforces his law, I figure I might as well enjoy it and make the best of a bad situation. Usually I end up enjoying myself.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
Definite mixture of both. Going along with the flow and adapting is great - way better in most circumstances - but then sometimes I'll hate what's gonna happen and wish I had known beforehand so I could have avoided it. This is usually in social scenarios, where I'm suddenly thrust in front of the group and immediately want to cancel everything. Not that I'm at all bad with people, I just have an irrational fear of being the centre of attention when I don't want to be. If I choose to be in such a situation, it's really fine, but otherwise hell no.

So....

25% prefer to know,
75% adapting.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Tsk tsk. You should never give a middle option to INTPs. Now we're all gonna choose "both".

I'm both. Maybe slightly more adapting.

Reactions: Fienigma

·
Registered
270 Posts
Both, but lately more adapting, because I like a good challenge.

Reactions: Ista

·
Maid of Time
14,753 Posts
Which response would you choose, and why?

• I prefer to know what I am getting into.
  • I like adapting to new situations.
  • I'm really a mixture of both
Source: Personality Test
Earlier in life, I was more a "prefer" -- nowadays I'm a "mix." I trust my capability and instincts much better than I did when younger, and I enjoy rising to the challenge. (I think when younger, part of the problem was that my mom -- primary parent -- was very timid, and my dad was critical of decisions that I didn't have time to think through, and our home life was also very unstable and I was constantly being hit by things outside of my control, so I just wanted some stability but was constantly being forced to adjust and adapt and never really coming out on top.)

I just don't want to be blindsided by something I don't actually have the resources to deal with. That is probably my biggest fear here -- of getting hit by something I won't be ABLE to deal with even if I invest the energy and time and resources. I like to take calculated risks, not impossible risks.

There is definitely a real rush, though, that comes from being in a situation where you have no choice but to immediately deal with it, and you come through with flying colors. It's a huge egoboost and I feel good about myself after.

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Neither. I've stopped paying much attention to my circumstances.

*contrarianesque smirk*

Reactions: rhz1lb and Ista

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I think all life is adaptation and certainty is just something people created to avoid the difficulties of adaptation. Change is very hard, stability is desirable but it is against the evolutionary code of adaptation. So I would go with adaptation over certainty even though certainty is easier.

Another one of my ambiguous answers for Ista.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Definitely both, although I lean slightly towards certainty.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Depends on the situation. When it involves other people I like to know what I'm getting into but when I'm on my own I like to dive in head first:wink:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'm much more on the side of certainty. However, I do like to experience new things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts