Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm going to apologize if there's already a previous thread that touches on my subsequent post. I'm actually almost positive that one exists, but I have yet to see it.

Although I'm extremely fascinated by the MBTI and research it relentlessly, I often find myself doubting my result. I've never been officially tested, but have taken probably around 10 online tests and get INTJ every time. I understand that the test is all about preferences, but I can almost relate to each answer on every test in some kind of way, which is why I often find myself doubting my INTJ results. The human personality is so vast that I don't see how one can be defined to any particular type in any sort of way. After reading many threads and posts in the INTJ forum, I wonder why some of you are so proud to be labelled an INTJ. What does that accomplish really? I suppose receiving the title of "being successful at whatever you choose" is rather appealing, but at what cost? Perhaps that's why I'm so fascinated by MBTI, to explain why I've always felt like an outcast, an extraterrestrial. Alright, alright, my post seems like a ramble and I didn't even get to asking the question I was planning to, ha. After you've been labelled a certain type and research that type aggressively, does that affect your answers on future tests? In other words, do you feel limited by your specific type?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Which came first, the person or the type?

Quite frankly, I don't give two shits what my "label" is, all I care about is that I know that I am as good a person as I see fit.
MBTI has NOTHING to do with labeling and shelving people, it's a practice of categorizing. Your are first the person that you are, then that persona is described as _________.
I am not limited as an INTJ, I am a human being who is best described as an INTJ. And I'm proud of being called an INTJ because that is what I was before such "labeling" was avalible to me.

We define what an INTJ is, not the other way around. That's why we are proud. That's why any type has the right to be proud.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The last thing it is for me is a source of pride. The accuracy of the description of my results is what makes me a "believer", if you will. I will accept a mere label IF it's true and it was, in fact, true. The MBTI (and Enneagram) successfully helped me understand why I too have always felt so alien, particularly when compared to most other women and has helped greatly on my quest for growth and self improvement (gags on the psycho-babble). But that knowledge certainly doesn't preclude me from the original problems associated with being so rare (it IS quite lonely at times). However, if understanding my type helps in learning how to more successfully reside on this planet comprised of other inherently different, fallible human beings? I'll gladly use it! :happy:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Which came first, the person or the type?
Quite frankly, I don't give two shits what my "label" is, all I care about is that I know that I am as good a person as I see fit. We define what an INTJ is, not the other way around. That's why we are proud. That's why any type has the right to be proud.
Seconded.

Ah, the degree of freedom, which humans may feel as if it exists lol.

(To a 3rd person observer we are still bound in natural human behaviors.
We cannot break free from our basis. Out representation is our DNA's means of survival, a vehicle.)

·
Registered
312 Posts
The last thing it is for me is a source of pride. The accuracy of the description of my results is what makes me a "believer", if you will. I will accept a mere label IF it's true and it was, in fact, true. The MBTI (and Enneagram) successfully helped me understand why I too have always felt so alien, particularly when compared to most other women and has helped greatly on my quest for growth and self improvement (gags on the psycho-babble). But that knowledge certainly doesn't preclude me from the original problems associated with being so rare (it IS quite lonely at times). However, if understanding my type helps in learning how to more successfully reside on this planet comprised of other inherently different, fallible human beings? I'll gladly use it! :happy:

-This

In my personal opinion, the practical application of the test is what was said in the above.It isn't necessarily another crackpot attempt at sticking the masses into categories, (in the manner of skin color, hobbies, careers, income, etc..) But a helpful tool to people, in regards to assisting the test takers in viewing a heavily researched objective viewpoint into the more fundamental aspects of something much more important than menial issues of weather they were popular in high-school or what tv shows they watch. Its a view into themselves, their personality, and their ego.

It of course will not always be completely accurate, and is not meant to be. It is a speculative result to a test taken by people that will likely not be capable of answering all the questions properly. The point however, is to take your results from a critically thinking standpoint, realize whats true and not, and to analyze your results in comparison with what is true in yourself, using it to help learn about yourself and how you may be able to utilize your strengths and weaknesses made more clear by the test in your life.

And why worry so much about being an different than others? I know a lot of people... I meet thousands of people on a daily basis do to my current (and not well suited for me) occupation. I'm all kinds of happy I am not anything like them, because they are a bunch of fucks. Without all the incompetent cattle running about however, INTJ strengths wouldn't be so useful. We need them sort of almost as much as they need us... I love my alone time, the lonely days and nights... they are fantastic, because I am happy with myself, and the happiness that you gain from within is much stronger than that of which is imposed upon you by others. Every single one of my best memories were moments alone, thinking, and in complete peace. Having someone else around that understands you to some extent and you can relate to can make for a good time, but you wont ever be able to fully enjoy those moments if you aren't happy with yourself.:mellow:

Reactions: Nexus6

·
Registered
601 Posts
First off, I'm going to apologize if there's already a previous thread that touches on my subsequent post. I'm actually almost positive that one exists, but I have yet to see it.

Although I'm extremely fascinated by the MBTI and research it relentlessly, I often find myself doubting my result. I've never been officially tested, but have taken probably around 10 online tests and get INTJ every time. I understand that the test is all about preferences, but I can almost relate to each answer on every test in some kind of way, which is why I often find myself doubting my INTJ results. The human personality is so vast that I don't see how one can be defined to any particular type in any sort of way. After reading many threads and posts in the INTJ forum, I wonder why some of you are so proud to be labelled an INTJ. What does that accomplish really? I suppose receiving the title of "being successful at whatever you choose" is rather appealing, but at what cost? Perhaps that's why I'm so fascinated by MBTI, to explain why I've always felt like an outcast, an extraterrestrial. Alright, alright, my post seems like a ramble and I didn't even get to asking the question I was planning to, ha. After you've been labelled a certain type and research that type aggressively, does that affect your answers on future tests? In other words, do you feel limited by your specific type?
I think you have to consider that the cognitive functions are spectrums and no two people fall at exactly the same point on the spectrum of T/F or I/E for instance. Typology groups people into a realm of qualities, and that does not account for many factors in a person's personality. It's just a guide to what cognitive functions people use to perceive the world. Being conscious of it should only give you clarity, not anxiety.

I think a lot of people overthink MBTI; Jung developed it to efficiently treat his patients and Meyers-Briggs developed it further. It is not a science. I think people should be proud of who they are in general, and understand that others are different and try not to be judgemental in their interactions on a personal level. MBTI was never meant for negative generalization, yet that does seem to be its downside. I think understanding what motivates people or how they think should lessen misunderstanding between people if wielded properly.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Seconded.

Ah, the degree of freedom, which humans may feel as if it exists lol.

(To a 3rd person observer we are still bound in natural human behaviors.
We cannot break free from our basis. Out representation is our DNA's means of survival, a vehicle.)
This is completely unrelated to the OP, however I have noticed that you seem to reference evolutionary psychology very often. That is actually a major interest of mine. If you haven't read anything by Stephen Pinker, I recommend "How the Mind Works". You might like it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is completely unrelated to the OP, however I have noticed that you seem to reference evolutionary psychology very often. That is actually a major interest of mine. If you haven't read anything by Stephen Pinker, I recommend "How the Mind Works". You might like it.
Sadly, dear, I do not read as proficiently in English. (I am still dominantly Korean, language-wise).
So I know your suggestions will not be actualized :(
truly sowwy, but that's how I roll.

I am one kind that is so stubborn and doesn't read many books and come up with my own formulation. (which have been working for me fine, so far, I hope later as well?).

But I am working on my personal project, which is to map out basic neural functions on to computers (kinda like creating a nice little chatting robot, but dynamic (hopefully as dynamic as humans))

And yes, it is true that studying human brain without evolutionary psychology is like blinding your past and trying to define who you are only with present information. (Derivation makes understanding much easier.)

p.s. I think I'll make the first chatbot "female", so I need to gather information how female mind works :p

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sadly, dear, I do not read as proficiently in English. (I am still dominantly Korean, language-wise).
So I know your suggestions will not be actualized :(
truly sowwy, but that's how I roll.

I am one kind that is so stubborn and doesn't read many books and come up with my own formulation. (which have been working for me fine, so far, I hope later as well?).

But I am working on my personal project, which is to map out basic neural functions on to computers (kinda like creating a nice little chatting robot, but dynamic (hopefully as dynamic as humans))

And yes, it is true that studying human brain without evolutionary psychology is like blinding your past and trying to define who you are only with present information. (Derivation makes understanding much easier.)

p.s. I think I'll make the first chatbot "female", so I need to gather information how female mind works :p
No problem sweetcheeks! :tongue:

Actually, you might enjoy reading [or watching] lectures by Vilayanur Ramachandran for your project. He is amazing and I love listening to him speak. He's very charismatic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts