Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**Your Instruction Booklet

We all have things about ourselves that we disregard and haven't attended to, whether it be emotions or not. Maybe you feel like you're too caught up in the future and therefore have trouble enjoying the moment. Maybe you're just annoyed that you always find some way to get out matching socks. Maybe it's something else. It doesn't matter.

The challenge: Come up with an Instruction Booklet that would help you with those things. Some of us have words we want other people to say to us, but that has never happened. Write it. Maybe you need instructions to tell you to go out and have a fun day for once. The instructions written may seem a bit silly to anybody but you. Or perhaps you need to write something silly because you need that.

The Instruction Booklet doesn't have to be long. It may only be one thing. And it might change overtime.

The hard part: Actually following what you self-written Instruction Booklet says. Perhaps you find you can only carry out one Instruction per day. It would be fun to try, though. ^^ Or at least serve as motivation.

Example:

Julia's Instruction Booklet

1) Watch a sunrise. You haven't watched one in a long time.
2) You spend too much time trapped inside your own head sometimes. You think too much. Go outside and try not to think too hard.
3) You've stopped writing in your journal. It was good for you. Keep it up.
4) Write down all the worst case scenarios you've ever thought of that you can remember. Laugh at them.
5) Buy some bubbles. Blow them. Label each bubble you see as a flaw you think you have. And pop them. You ought to feel better about yourself.
6) Forget about matching socks. Mismatched is the way to go.
7) Talk to your dad. Tell him he needs to enjoy the moment more. He's working too hard.

^ Subject to change, of course. :)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
My instructions for myself are a bit wordier...

Owfin's Instruction Booklet:

It's OKAY to make some changes to plans because of your mood. If you have difficulty writing a single note card for that project today, you know you aren't getting work done. You know that you will get 2 done over the space of 30 minutes if you insist on "trying". Give yourself what you need and don't for a second feel guilty. And if you feel like getting something done even if you planned on using the night for X else, get it done, pat yourself on the back for getting something done. Take advantage of those high times and realize you will have unexpected low times.

Another thing about guilt: Don't let yourself get to a point where you feel guilty! If you really should get that bathroom cleaned, clean it and smile later at your industriousness! Doesn't it feel good when you've done everything that you've ought to?

Add a little bit more work to the day and the play is all the sweeter.

Wording makes the difference between a rational suggestion and a self righteous attack. Keep that in mind always when you are disagreeing with someone else.

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
This is a great idea, and I'm glad I noticed it; I don't look around these forums much.

My own is pending, under consideration for now.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a great idea, and I'm glad I noticed it; I don't look around these forums much.

My own is pending, under consideration for now.
Oh good, thanks! I was worried that I had posted a thread that was kind of useless and silly. x3 I was just about ready to crawl into a little black hole for a while...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
4) Write down all the worst case scenarios you've ever thought of that you can remember. Laugh at them.

7) Talk to your dad. Tell him he needs to enjoy the moment more. He's working too hard.
Number 4 is great advice. My dad is also an INTj 6 so he probably does need to enjoy the moment more.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Julia Bell;2303798 [B said:
Julia's Instruction Booklet[/B]

1) Watch a sunrise. You haven't watched one in a long time.
2) You spend too much time trapped inside your own head sometimes. You think too much. Go outside and try not to think too hard.
3) You've stopped writing in your journal. It was good for you. Keep it up.
5) Buy some bubbles. Blow them. Label each bubble you see as a flaw you think you have. And pop them. You ought to feel better about yourself.
6) Forget about matching socks. Mismatched is the way to go.
These are true for me, too! Scarily true...

·
Registered
166 Posts
This thread is a great idea. Most excellent. :happy:

Soooooo my "instruction book" subject to change:

1- They call it paralysis through analysis for a reason, stop over thinking and tell your inner critic to shut up once in a while. You're doing the best you can with what you got, so cut yourself some slack.

1a- Not so much slack that you become indifferent to anyone and everything.

2- At night, instead of thinking about what you didn't get done, think about what you did.

3- Watch/read something that makes you laugh, you're over due for a good one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts