Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi - welcome!

We INFJs are very warm, affirming personalities. I connect with all types of people and seek commonalities even with those I meet that I don't consider like minds. On the surface, often you can't tell how I truly feel about something - even if I disagree with a person's opinion, I respect it and am inclined to make them feel at ease about expressing themselves. It's the strong Ni, always wanting to learn and gain more insight, and this is best facilitated by me letting others be themselves without being criticized. I ask a lot of genuine, intuitive questions to learn more about them.

So a "chameleon"... I think that is an aspect of my personality. But at the same time, I'm rigorously independent. If you get down to it, I have a strong set of personal values that aren't based off of my upbringing or close friends, but from intuitive decisions after carefully considering everything I've learned from people, reading, and experiences. The clothes I wear and way I go about things are often very unique. Chameleon is maybe the face I present to the world, but ultimately I'm the complete opposite.

Hopefully I explained it accurately!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Welcome to PerC!

Yeah, I would say I can be an emotional/social "chameleon." It's sort of a self protection thing for those of us who are sensitive and private to always act to some degree, or blend our outer manner with those around us. And very in line with Fe, we tend to in that way also put more emphasis on the group and others and our actions follow, rather than vice versa which is perhaps more Fi.

We also tend to be fairly aware of or concerned about how others perceive us, therefore sometimes trying to direct what that perception becomes.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Yes, but I wouldn't define it as imitation. I look at myself like a rainbow, but I only show certain colors to certain people that I know want to see that color. I'll test things and maybe add a touch of yellow to the blue I was already showing to see if the other person is cool with a green aspect, but I'll instantly go back to only blue if I feel the other person doesn't care for green. If you ask most people in my life what color they know me as, they're each going to have a different combination in mind. A very select few accept the entire rainbow that is the complete version of myself. In order to see the fullest spectrum of color, other people have to be fine with a little bit of rain. I rarely show the entire color spectrum to just anyone. It takes a lot of trust and one on one time. So, yeah, I'd say I'm pretty chameleon like. Also, welcome! I hope you enjoy PersC.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
I can be somewhat of a chameleon when I'm in a certain setting. It may take me a little while to get to that level of comfort but when I do, I easily identify with other people. There are also many different aspects of my personality.I've been told that I act like a completely different person when talking to certain people. It can depend on the level of comfort and if I acted the same way with one person I did with another person, I wouldn't really be able to connect with people. I usually want to make people feel happy and welcome so I try to understand how they feel. I also like to attempt to understand where everyone is coming from. Some people have guessed I was the same type as them when I was far from their type.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
A chameleon, yes, kind of in a way. But the way I put it--and I've used this metaphor elsewhere: Think of a cineplex that is round, the various separate theaters surrounding a central hub where the projectionist/manager is. People come along, choose one movie to see in one of the theaters in the cineplex; others come along and choose another movie in another of the theaters; and so on. But all of the movies in all of the theaters in that cineplex are due to the original choices of the projectionist/manager about what to offer, and are projected by him, so you could say that, though one person is seeing a Western, another a Sci-Fi, another Shakespeare, and so on, each of these projections emanates from the same entity, the projectionist/manager . . . who meantime is sitting quietly and privately in his dark little projection room that hardly anyone will ever penetrate. Those who do penetrate . . . well, but that's a whole 'nother matter. So yes, we're chameleons to those who are looking at the different movies; but the unchanging core of us is at one and the same time all of the movies and none of the movies.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The Chameleon skill one of the most overpowered stealth abilities in the current meta. The INFJ class is particularly notorious for their PvP tactics revolving primarily around their already perked Chameleon in which they invest further skill points for increased effect and duration. In short, Chameleon is a skill that works much like a generic Disguise status effect but is much more customisable on the go.

The peculiar thing about the Chameleon ability is the fact that the player can reactively or pre-emptively assume the form of another player or NPC. This makes them virtually undetectable to players without an advanced Interpersonal Intuition skill tree, and the INFJ class also possesses one of the highest base stats for said skill tree. This makes the INFJ class particularly effective at survival metaplay: they have the unmatched ability to spot other mind-readers a mile away, allowing them ample time to recalibrate their Chameleon arate, or to swiftly escape. However, many INFJ players will prefer to invite players who can detect them into their raid group.

The uses of camouflage through Chameleon are particularly many in the current meta. The most basic form of use is seen in the Work environment where plenty of adaptation is needed. The INFJ player typically assumes the form of a chosen NPC in order to up their Credibility points and to give other players no reason for them to interfere with their play, seeing as how the INFJ playstyle is often considered unorthodox even if it produces high-quality loot. Many INFJ players feel this sort of distance to incorporate their most effective solutions.

I could go on, but I really need to go to school.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If I'm a chameleon, it's because others are projecting onto me in such a way that they see me as both a perfect ally and a longtime friend. If I am matching energy, it's because they're opening themselves to me so that we can sync unconsciously while discussing whatever is on their mind. If someone thinks I'm imitating them, it's because they're becoming self aware of how gelled we have become over the course of an interaction and is having a bout of introspection about just how they act and what they might see me mirroring back at them.

That's the "joy" of being me, as I understand it. I never have to seek people out if I want to aid someone, they always seem to find me when they need me. I hope I'm being helpful to them, or at very least letting them vent their soul to a willing ear. It's just what I do. It's what I've always done. I'm not bragging about it, I'm simply stating out loud that I'm okay with it. Anyway, carry on everybody.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Yeah. I swear I lose up to 100 IQ every time I go outside. Talking with people makes me want to enjoy watching tv, ego masturbation, marry with someone and making babies, waste my life working, being an enemy of the people because they are from another country, burn people because they don't share your belief... you get the idea.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Do you feel you match their energy without trying?
This is the most accurate way of interpreting it.

I've thought about it for a bit and it's not necessarily a chameleon type imitation since if I come across people and personalities that I just don't like or don't match with to some degree the opposite of imitation happens.

So it essentially is me finding qualities that match up to mine and amplifying it to make it easier to connect with the other person.

As @odinthor put it in a very creative way, we are all (not just INFJ's) composed of multiple different facets of interest and complexity. Perhaps for the INFJ it is easier to find the commonality with another person and naturally tune themselves towards it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can be somewhat of a chameleon when I'm in a certain setting. It may take me a little while to get to that level of comfort but when I do, I easily identify with other people. There are also many different aspects of my personality.I've been told that I act like a completely different person when talking to certain people. It can depend on the level of comfort and if I acted the same way with one person I did with another person, I wouldn't really be able to connect with people. I usually want to make people feel happy and welcome so I try to understand how they feel. I also like to attempt to understand where everyone is coming from. Some people have guessed I was the same type as them when I was far from their type.
That's what I've noticed about a boss. I don't know his type, he usually is very calm and not showing emotions but not cold, just flat. But he can behave very differently depending on who he's talking to. It's a different person altogether, to the point where I'm wondering who he is. For example, he's very calm, doesn't talk much and listens when he talks with me, just like I am. Then, I see him interacting with other people at work, people he doesn't know well (just like me) and he is this super loud person, tons of small talk and expressive. It's the first time I'm around someone who acts very differently around different people. It gets me wondering, who is he really? Is he quiet or loud? Introvert or extrovert?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah. I swear I lose up to 100 IQ every time I go outside. Talking with people makes me want to enjoy watching tv, ego masturbation, marry with someone and making babies, waste my life working, being an enemy of the people because they are from another country, burn people because they don't share your belief... you get the idea.
:laughing:

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I am very much a chameleon and I don't like this aspect of me all that much. It has its uses, don't get me wrong, but I would rather stick to my actual personality all if not most of the time. It makes me feel fake.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't do this conciously, but I realise that I take on some of the person I am interacting with's marierisms, expressions, personality trsits and accent. This goes to the extent of me speaking my own mother tongue as if I had just started learning it a year ago! I have tried to stop myself from doing this, but it is very difficult, basically impossible. I basically lose all ability to comunicate if I don't chamelion-ise myself. The only times I am truly myself when interacting with other human beings is when I am with my (very) few close friends, that I have learned to trust and feel at ease with over the past 17 years or so.... So, short answer : yes I am a total chamelion

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
That's what I've noticed about a boss. I don't know his type, he usually is very calm and not showing emotions but not cold, just flat. But he can behave very differently depending on who he's talking to. It's a different person altogether, to the point where I'm wondering who he is. For example, he's very calm, doesn't talk much and listens when he talks with me, just like I am. Then, I see him interacting with other people at work, people he doesn't know well (just like me) and he is this super loud person, tons of small talk and expressive. It's the first time I'm around someone who acts very differently around different people. It gets me wondering, who is he really? Is he quiet or loud? Introvert or extrovert?
It sounds like your boss and I have some similarities. To an outsider, it can appear that someone with that tendency is acting like a completely different person. I can also understand why some people would find it baffling. For me, it's usually because I have different comfort levels with different people. Also, matching their social energy is my attempt at getting to know people I suppose on a subconscious level. If it's hard to say his type, I can't say for sure if he and I as well as some other INFJs are coming from the same place or doing it for the same reason but that could be the case.

Reactions: specofturquoise
1 - 16 of 16 Posts