Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - one of my best - she is tested as a INTP or sometimes even ENTP (but 90% INTP)! But sometimes - somewhere in the beginning of two of us thinking about this whoel theory she was sometimes INFP?

By tested i don't mean only taking tests! I wonder was she always an INTP really or she is actually INFP hiding (had some bad experiences in her life)?

Myers Briggs Personality Types

in this articles i find some seriously interesting facts:

"INFP mid-life changes, such as an increasing desire to organize and take charge of one's life or to stop being used as a doormat by others, are consistent with this developing outer NT. Some INFPs have become quite proficient in masking their "true feelings" with their NT face."

"INFPs more typically keep the SF face hidden, yet it provides the energy for their participation in helping professions, all kinds of nurturing activities, and their interest in performing arts and arts and crafts work in general."

"I/ENFPs who have developed both their NT and SF faces can present a capricious image of contradictions. They can engage in logical dialogue at a conceptual level (NT) and then a short time later engage in actions that seem to fly in the face of that discussion (because their SF nature was engaged). Extraverts seem to be particularly adept at turning either of these faces to the outer world - depending on the circumstances. At one moment, being able to talk and make the big picture, tough decisions and at another moment be warm, fuzzy, or empathetic are two sides of the same NFP coin. Yet this can be disquieting - conjuring up the image of false masks implied by the pejorative term "two-faced."

Why i have doubts about her?
I know her since she was a child - and her childhood was mostly filled with imaginary friends and teachers were often saying "she is a bit different and misunderstood" - which i heard is an often type of a childhood for INFPs.

I have a hard time telling is she Ti or Fi user. She can be quite rational but i also know that's cuz she likes to play firm (so people take her more seriously).

This is a person i know for like 15 years...and my guess is that is an INFP person hiding cuz she doesn't trust people!
She often speaks about how she can't understand why would someone treat bad someone who is being fair to them and how she can't understand why people choose to be mean if they can appreciate each other!
Also she has a great desire to make people better as a person...to make them more stable and firm. Often worries about her relationships with others and when in a relationship cares about it and that person for more then anything. She almost never shows it openly but she gets herself talking with me, hiding a bit but you can see emotional expression behind it and her talking about her personal impressions which she trusts.
She was a writer used to. She was always confident about things she written but was never confident enough to think other people will appreciate it. But when we talked about her writing she would say she just wants for her text to be written for right reasons and not for popularity but she doesnt thinks that will be accepted among people. In my opinion she was a good writer - had her special ways and she often seeks to be authentic about it.
For her relationships with people she always wants to be authentic as well...want to think that it's smth special and different from what other people have.
That's about it i can say about her.

Do you know this INFP problem and is it possible im right to think this?

Reactions: 20111017

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
"I/ENFPs who have developed both their NT and SF faces can present a capricious image of contradictions. They can engage in logical dialogue at a conceptual level (NT) and then a short time later engage in actions that seem to fly in the face of that discussion (because their SF nature was engaged). Extraverts seem to be particularly adept at turning either of these faces to the outer world - depending on the circumstances. At one moment, being able to talk and make the big picture, tough decisions and at another moment be warm, fuzzy, or empathetic are two sides of the same NFP coin. Yet this can be disquieting - conjuring up the image of false masks implied by the pejorative term "two-faced."
I don't know if this is behavior of an INFP, although i can tell you it does correlate with who i am as an ENFP. I really enjoyed this observation you made, as i have made the exact same observation about myself. I can't say this is true for all ENFP thou, then again many are likely mistyped, here anyways. This is a very accurate observation of what a real ENFP would look like. My husband calls it " Split personality ". It's like we can make a switch quite quicky with logic vs emotion.

1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if this is behavior of an INFP, although i can tell you it does correlate with who i am as an ENFP. I really enjoyed this observation you made, as i have made the exact same observation about myself. I can't say this is true for all ENFP thou, then again many are likely mistyped, here anyways. This is a very accurate observation of what a real ENFP would look like. My husband calls it " Split personality ". It's like we can make a switch quite quicky with logic vs emotion.
it's very interesting actually - i think it's kind of a protection. Not in a bad way - it's a good protection. It's not a secret that firm attitude works better in society.
What i thought is that she replaces her emotional reaction with the most logical one...implicates on a logical reasoning but her mind actually is going in another way.
Like when she receives a criticism - ones she seemed like ti's funny to her and she took it all reasonably...then few hours later she came crying to me saying that she was deeply hurt cuz that was completely mean - she was over-shadowed with the impression. That doesn't sound very much of Ti to me lol

also - that article is great :D i really loved it

Reactions: MuChApArAdOx

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
it's very interesting actually - i think it's kind of a protection. Not in a bad way - it's a good protection. It's not a secret that firm attitude works better in society.
What i thought is that she replaces her emotional reaction with the most logical one...implicates on a logical reasoning but her mind actually is going in another way.
Like when she receives a criticism - ones she seemed like ti's funny to her and she took it all reasonably...then few hours later she came crying to me saying that she was deeply hurt cuz that was completely mean - she was over-shadowed with the impression. That doesn't sound very much of Ti to me lol

also - that article is great :D i really loved it
You know its weird for us who do this. We can change our thought process very quickly. With me personally i get very intense and serious. I want to be taken seriously depending on the situation. I can turn on my Te with a snap of my fingers. I can also go back to an emotional state just as quick if i want too. I like to think of it as the best of both worlds ;) I love being able to show my vulnerabilites ( with people i know well ), yet its nice to be able to keep up logically also. I dont' wear an emotional mask of any kind when i first meet people. I may be warm and kind, although i don't show emotion. My Fi is kept very private. It can appear cold to those who don't know me, although once i trust you, and you are in my inner circle, i wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm usually seen as an introvert at first glance. Oh boy its fun to see the looks on faces once i actually take off the shy mask and reveal my inner core ; D

1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know its weird for us who do this. We can change our thought process very quickly. With me personally i get very intense and serious. I want to be taken seriously depending on the situation. I can turn on my Te with a snap of my fingers. I can also go back to an emotional state just as quick if i want too. I like to think of it as the best of both worlds ;) I love being able to show my vulnerabilites ( with people i know well ), yet its nice to be able to keep up logically also. I dont' wear an emotional mask of any kind when i first meet people. I may be warm and kind, although i don't show emotion. My Fi is kept very private. It can appear cold to those who don't know me, although once i trust you, and you are in my inner circle, i wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm usually seen as an introvert at first glance. Oh boy its fun to see the looks on faces once i actually take off the shy mask and reveal my inner core ; D
Ahahha but ill be honest i know how is that! I often seem more quiet then i am ...when people meet me in person they found out im loud and have always smth to say XD plus my inner core is also filled with perv jokes and a lack of shame XD
It's kinda funny you mentioned this about vulnerabilities...with this best friend of mine - i would say it's really about that! Not showing it! Don't know but i have kinda a feeling that one thing is to appear cold and firm and another thing is to be that way.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Ahahha but ill be honest i know how is that! I often seem more quiet then i am ...when people meet me in person they found out im loud and have always smth to say XD plus my inner core is also filled with perv jokes and a lack of shame XD
It's kinda funny you mentioned this about vulnerabilities...with this best friend of mine - i would say it's really about that! Not showing it! Don't know but i have kinda a feeling that one thing is to appear cold and firm and another thing is to be that way.
One never knows what we are feeling, or people who don't know us well. We maynot show it Fi, but that doesn't mean we don't feel it. This mask you speak of is used for different reasons. I think it really depends on the ENFP. I may appear cold, although i'm aware of it. I think ENFP only show what they want people to see. Whether that be strictly logic, or our goofy playful side. If i want you to get out of my space, i can appear cold. If i love you and want you in my space, i am very warm, loving and kind.

1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One never knows what we are feeling, or people who don't know us well. We maynot show it Fi, but that doesn't mean we don't feel it. This mask you speak of is used for different reasons. I think it really depends on the ENFP. I may appear cold, although i'm aware of it. I think ENFP only show what they want people to see. Whether that be strictly logic, or our goofy playful side. If i want you to get out of my space, i can appear cold. If i love you and want you in my space, i am very warm, loving and kind.
That is very thoughtful then. But i think it's an natural reaction of one person that if they want you to go away they are not as friendly as when they want someone near by. Of course for most people i can tell they wouldnt appear exactly cold but youwould notice some differences.
I think it's quite fascinating how it says that INFPs use ENTP expression to appear more logical and objective and firm to others. Im guessing they are using Ne to balance themselves but i think that's more of an improvement then cuz they are forcing teh use of aux. function and developing it... it gets them to concentrate on others.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
That is very thoughtful then. But i think it's an natural reaction of one person that if they want you to go away they are not as friendly as when they want someone near by. Of course for most people i can tell they wouldnt appear exactly cold but youwould notice some differences.
I think it's quite fascinating how it says that INFPs use ENTP expression to appear more logical and objective and firm to others. Im guessing they are using Ne to balance themselves but i think that's more of an improvement then cuz they are forcing teh use of aux. function and developing it... it gets them to concentrate on others.
I'm not sure if that is always natural thou, because you take someone like ENFJ/INFJ, and very possible INFP. I could see them being kind to people regardless if they wanted them in their company or not. They would be concerned with how the other was feeling first. The same can't be said for this ENFP. I'm sure that is Fi, although my concern is how it makes me feel first.( usually, unless under special circumstances, again, i love you ) My INFJ brother for example is much more patient with people than i am. He will focus on how everything is effecting people around him, where i don't necessarily do that.

1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure if that is always natural thou, because you take someone like ENFJ/INFJ, and very possible INFP. I could see them being kind to people regardless if they wanted them in their company or not. They would be concerned with how the other was feeling first. The same can't be said for this ENFP. I'm sure that is Fi, although my concern is how it makes me feel first.( usually, unless under special circumstances, again, i love you ) My INFJ brother for example is much more patient with people than i am. He will focus on how everything is effecting people around him, where i don't necessarily do that.
i would say INFPs are here in the middle...they maybe observe others but they are also concentrated about how effects them what they are saying.
ENFJs often think what i right for that person, INFJs think about it less and are turned more ot themselves but are very helpful and can be self-sacrificing when it comes ot listening to other. INFP on the other hand will listen to others but i personally believe that when they have their own problem they are too much all about it and have troubles concentrating.
ENFJs have here the most expressed giving personality which can often turn in them wanting someone who cares about them finally.
"I could see them being kind to people regardless if they wanted them in their company or not" - but i think this goes for all 3 types - they do behave in helpful manner and wont protest someones company. Don't know why is that.

1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Found confidence in what way?
In any way. Insecurity often manifests shit.

Being a type 4, or an INFP, might make me question identity or a perfectionists, etc.. but i am confident in myself that those things are good, if you know what i mean.

If i wasnt, the more insecure i was, the more I would have to "cope" with life, rather than just be natural.

Coping as in forcing, as in putting on an image that helps me survive in the world.

So an F might act like a T to do that, etc... was what i was tryin to say

1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Being a type 4, or an INFP, might make me question identity or a perfectionists, etc.. but i am confident in myself that those things are good, if you know what i mean.

If i wasnt, the more insecure i was, the more I would have to "cope" with life, rather than just be natural.

Coping as in forcing, as in putting on an image that helps me survive in the world.

That was my idea also...that's why i thought she is an INFP
it's also putting on a brave face somehow to me

Reactions: Up and Away
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

also...by my description of that person...a little that i put - could it be INFP or im just wild guessing?

Reactions: Up and Away
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Id put money on INFJ or INFP for sure
don't know about INFJ...cuz J is not her style...spontaneous
why would you think INFJ? and why INFP?

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
don't know about INFJ...cuz J is not her style...spontaneous
why would you think INFJ? and why INFP?
You see her extroverted side, but since she is an introvert, you dont necessarily see how she is when she is completely comfortable, or what she thinks about.

This is why the MBTI reversed the J and P for introverts, however, remember that INFP is still Fi Ne, Fi being a Judging function.

Ya, go look up some about INFJ's for a bit just to give yourself a better shot at guessing :)

1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You see her extroverted side, but since she is an introvert, you dont necessarily see how she is when she is completely comfortable, or what she thinks about.

This is why the MBTI reversed the J and P for introverts, however, remember that INFP is still Fi Ne, Fi being a Judging function.

Ya, go look up some about INFJ's for a bit just to give yourself a better shot at guessing :)
I found smth about INFJs now that i think could relate but can you please give me smth more specific thing to look for?

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I found smth about INFJs now that i think could relate but can you please give me smth more specific thing to look for?
EH. The best advice I have is to read the threads in each of the two subforums and get a feel for the difference in people. Its really hard to put in words honestly, so articles don't do a great job..

I will try something here:

INFP= Fi dominant
INFJ= Ni dominant

INFP's tend to value helping people more, but INFJ's tend to value stopping to appreciate life more.

Its weird, because it seems like those things would go together.

If she is just surviving rather than excelling, then try to get her "dreams."

Ask her what her dreams are, what they would be if life was a little bit easier, and what they would be if life was A LOT easier, for her.

Then match those dreams up to the descriptions, and wala, you have the repressed personality!

1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
EH. The best advice I have is to read the threads in each of the two subforums and get a feel for the difference in people. Its really hard to put in words honestly, so articles don't do a great job..

I will try something here:

INFP= Fi dominant
INFJ= Ni dominant

INFP's tend to value helping people more, but INFJ's tend to value stopping to appreciate life more.

Its weird, because it seems like those things would go together.

If she is just surviving rather than excelling, then try to get her "dreams."

Ask her what her dreams are, what they would be if life was a little bit easier, and what they would be if life was A LOT easier, for her.

Then match those dreams up to the descriptions, and wala, you have the repressed personality!
stopping to appreciate life more???? what do you mean by this?
cuz if you mean INFJ are prone to lower down their expectations and lower down appreciation for their life - that ain't her! I remember she was once advised to lower down her high hopes and she just said smth like "life is empty without hope really. I just wanna go into relationship when are emotions say so and when it comes. No need for decision here that needs to be felt by your inner emotions, it only happens - everything in their own time and natural!but i need and want hopes and believe in others, and when i say someone is good it's cuz i know they are good." - that's not really stopping to appreciate life
and she once said this sentence: "wow he si lucky! and we thought he want walk or talk - good for him - you never knwo what happens in these cases but now at least you know you can hope it can happen smth good and you can be lucky." - that's not stopping to appreciate life

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.