Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've worked at my place of employment for almost 4 years now and was applying for jobs before the pandemic started. I sent out so many applications, got a couple of interviews, but no offers. I guess it ended up working out since now I've changed my mind on what I want. I'm back in the office now but I realized from working remotely for 3 months that I enjoy it and want to not only work 100% remotely, but change to a different field. The problem is that even though there seem to be quite a few ads for jobs in the field I'm interested in, there must be a ton of competition, and especially difficult for someone with no experience in said field. I normally don't write cover letters but have been accompanying all of my applications with one, since one would have no idea from my résumé how I am at all qualified for the job. I don't want them to think I'm applying for random jobs just to say that I'm looking for work and therefore can continue to get unemployment benefits (which I'm not getting since I'm still working).

For reference, I've been applying for mortgage loan processor jobs. I haven't worked with mortgages at all but I bought my house last year on a rehab loan, then refinanced into a conventional loan. My home search, purchase process, and renovation were all long processes so I did a lot of research in the meantime. I looked over a ton of deeds, mortgage records, parcel maps, and FEMA flood maps. Even though I live in a high-COL area, even such jobs based in low-COL areas offer more money than what I make now. Those in high-COL areas offer a lot more but I don't know if I'd be eligible for those with no experience. These ads all ask for 2-3 years of experience. Those with at least 5 years I generally don't bother with. Other than that, most of my job experience is in either public education, or more recently, logistics and transportation, mainly in customer service.

Has anyone ever changed fields? If so, was it during a recession? Is that even possible? How'd you convince them to interview you, let alone hire you? Did you know someone at the company? I don't know anyone.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I'm currently pursuing web development at 28.

Obviously as a career shifter any fields that require a specific degree will be closed off, but for me in my current situation- it's a portfolio led pursuit. Therefore, my only plan is that if I'm searching for months and getting rejected, I can continue learning and improving, until I'm simply too good to ignore.

I was teaching English in Korea, and I was basically ethnically appearance-wise Korean, but I didn't speak Korean, and I didn't have a teaching or english related degree- so I was bottom of the barrel and I was sending out 8 emails a day for a month, contacting 10 recruiters, going to 10 interviews, etc. getting so many rejections because I wasn't white for the "english only" schools and didn't speak english for the "dual-language" schools, and what I basically learned during that whole process is that when you aren't playing the best hand 1). it's a persistence thing, and 2). job hunting is a whole skillset that you can develop.

The way you craft your CV, the way you communicate in emails, the way you describe and twist your experiences within the lines of truth, showing visual evidence of your work, I literally ended up taking pictures of myself volunteer teaching kids and doing a TEFL programme to show people me working in that environment, and sending my best lesson plans which looked impressive, and then the way you present yourself and the social skills involved in an interview- it's all skillset, and it makes a HUGE difference. I was doing more than everyone else and making myself stand out. It makes ALL the difference. I even made a video presentation using software, which didn't tell you much more about me in terms of info- but showed that I had the capability to execute things well. You have to go the extra mile and at the end of the day it's just a dude/lady at the other end seeing these things, and they will be swayed by these things.. Even to the point where they will favour you over someone who has superior "credentials".

Sorry I'm not exactly what you're after but I'm just offering what I can.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm currently pursuing web development at 28.

Obviously as a career shifter any fields that require a specific degree will be closed off, but for me in my current situation- it's a portfolio led pursuit. Therefore, my only plan is that if I'm searching for months and getting rejected, I can continue learning and improving, until I'm simply too good to ignore.

I was teaching English in Korea, and I was basically ethnically appearance-wise Korean, but I didn't speak Korean, and I didn't have a teaching or english related degree- so I was bottom of the barrel and I was sending out 8 emails a day for a month, contacting 10 recruiters, going to 10 interviews, etc. getting so many rejections because I wasn't white for the "english only" schools and didn't speak english for the "dual-language" schools, and what I basically learned during that whole process is that when you aren't playing the best hand 1). it's a persistence thing, and 2). job hunting is a whole skillset that you can develop.

The way you craft your CV, the way you communicate in emails, the way you describe and twist your experiences within the lines of truth, showing visual evidence of your work, I literally ended up taking pictures of myself volunteer teaching kids and doing a TEFL programme to show people me working in that environment, and sending my best lesson plans which looked impressive, and then the way you present yourself and the social skills involved in an interview- it's all skillset, and it makes a HUGE difference. I was doing more than everyone else and making myself stand out. It makes ALL the difference. I even made a video presentation using software, which didn't tell you much more about me in terms of info- but showed that I had the capability to execute things well. You have to go the extra mile and at the end of the day it's just a dude/lady at the other end seeing these things, and they will be swayed by these things.. Even to the point where they will favour you over someone who has superior "credentials".

Sorry I'm not exactly what you're after but I'm just offering what I can.
Did you accompany some of these materials with your application? I've historically had a very difficult time just getting my application seen by a person.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Did you accompany some of these materials with your application? I've historically had a very difficult time just getting my application seen by a person.

How do you know if your application was seen?

Yes, I did things like at the end of my CV I created a "gallery" section with my pictures, and also included a weblink to my video.

If I were doing it again, I'd even create a fancy website nowadays, even if it weren't related to web development and I didn't have the skills to do so- I'd just use a tool. You'll probably have to pay a small fee but w/e. The 35 Best Personal Websites We've Ever Seen
Here are some examples. In that you could put your gallery, and generally expand it. Do your own research- google is the most powerful tool in the world. Look at how the best of the best set up websites, and like I said use tools or even hire a small fee web dev to create a website for you if you can afford it.
here's another tool.
wix.com has a free option that looks like you can use, but you'd have to use the wix domain name is the only catch, but still worth it. if you want to pay it isn't that expensive.
Obviously LinkedIn is another key tool if you aren't already using it- but just make sure you're putting these applications in through computer because it will increase the chance people will click on the link. If it's in paper form they have to physically type the address in, and they might not bother. You want to get that "huh this is cool" factor right away.

Just put yourself in the shoes of a recruiter/HR person. They're someone just like you, just like someone you might have gone to school with, who got a job that now pays their bills but they're a human being at the end of the day. What would impress you? Imagine you get 20 of the same black and white ariel font CVs, then you get this, with your photos, visual representation of your experiences related or unrelated, all looking professional and executed well.
You're bound to impress someone.

I actually think this is the future of job applications, so if you're doing this in a field unrelated to web dev and programming- it's like you're ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you know if your application was seen?

Yes, I did things like at the end of my CV I created a "gallery" section with my pictures, and also included a weblink to my video.

If I were doing it again, I'd even create a fancy website nowadays, even if it weren't related to web development and I didn't have the skills to do so- I'd just use a tool. You'll probably have to pay a small fee but w/e. The 35 Best Personal Websites We've Ever Seen
Here are some examples. In that you could put your gallery, and generally expand it. Do your own research- google is the most powerful tool in the world. Look at how the best of the best set up websites, and like I said use tools or even hire a small fee web dev to create a website for you if you can afford it.
here's another tool.
wix.com has a free option that looks like you can use, but you'd have to use the wix domain name is the only catch, but still worth it. if you want to pay it isn't that expensive.
Obviously LinkedIn is another key tool if you aren't already using it- but just make sure you're putting these applications in through computer because it will increase the chance people will click on the link. If it's in paper form they have to physically type the address in, and they might not bother. You want to get that "huh this is cool" factor right away.

Just put yourself in the shoes of a recruiter/HR person. They're someone just like you, just like someone you might have gone to school with, who got a job that now pays their bills but they're a human being at the end of the day. What would impress you? Imagine you get 20 of the same black and white ariel font CVs, then you get this, with your photos, visual representation of your experiences related or unrelated, all looking professional and executed well.
You're bound to impress someone.

I actually think this is the future of job applications, so if you're doing this in a field unrelated to web dev and programming- it's like you're ahead of the curve.
I normally apply for jobs on Indeed or Ziprecruiter and it'll let me know if the employer viewed my application. Other than that, I assume a human never got to see my application.

I just wonder what kind of media I could include if I'm applying to be, say, a mortgage loan processor. That's what I've been trying to go for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts