Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else started out as a different personality type and become an INFJ? I feel like I have become an INFJ after being an ISFJ.

I see the world differently and the simple things that used to make me happy as an ISFJ just seem so superficial to me now.

I like this new way of thinking but I'm new to these waters and need direction.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It's all theory, really

I look at it generally on the same level as astrology

All the MBTI does for me is give me an idea as to what to expect

Humans cannot be confined to a 'type'

Also, bear in mind that people change over time. You're certainly not the same person you were ten years ago, correct?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes I agree, but I do not want to regress. What are good ways of expanding your mind?
Reading history, philosophy, comics and so on. Reading widely in general. It depends on how you want to expand your mind. I read history to learn from humans in the past so that I won't make the same mistakes. It also reminds me of my mortality. Like you mentioned, we will all be 6 feet under one day. But at the same time, reading about great deeds and courage inspire me.

Eastern philosophy has also helped to give me greater self-control over my mind and my moods.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reading history, philosophy, comics and so on. Reading widely in general. It depends on how you want to expand your mind. I read history to learn from humans in the past so that I won't make the same mistakes. It also reminds me of my mortality. Like you mentioned, we will all be 6 feet under one day. But at the same time, reading about great deeds and courage inspire me.

Eastern philosophy has also helped to give me greater self-control over my mind and my moods.
I would like to read what eastern philosophers have to say, thanks. Maybe it will help:)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Well, your avatar fits.

I used to test wrong... I used to test as an INTJ and as an INTP. Turns out I was an INFJ all along just the tests generally stink.

As for direction, if you're truly an INFJ now, then try to use all of your cognitive functions. You need to use introverted thinking, and you need to use extroverted sensing. You should already have introverted intuition and extroverted feeling. If you really did change types, then all you did was swap Si for Ni. If this is true, then what happened to your Ne? Or maybe you never developed things that far.

Out of all the claims of personality switches I've heard of, an ISFJ becoming an INFJ sounds most plausible since they're only changing their dominant and inferior functions.

You might also consider that you're still an ISFJ who has just developed their Ne?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Some people theorize that we're born with a set personality, with distinct preferences, but because we live with other people, we have to learn to adapt who we are. For instance, when I was a child, I had a very decided preference for Feeling over Thinking. But as I matured, I had to develop my Thinking side more, especially since I wanted to do well in school. Thus, even though I'm definitely an INFJ, I sometimes type as an INTJ.

People, like everything else in the universe, are always changing, always developing. It makes sense that a person might change type, especially if you straddle the line between two preferences to begin with. Some people have a marked preference for something (I am very much an Introvert, for example), but some people are very balanced (like my friend who goes through phases where she wants to party and be surrounded by people, then goes through periods where she withdraws and wants time alone).

Just don't make the mistake of thinking that being an INFJ makes you a better person. Celebrate yourself for who you are, and don't define yourself by type alone. Being an INFJ is just one facet of who I am, or who any of us are.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I don't think it of changing types rather different INFJs may have their main functions more developed than others and may appear like other types. For example I may type as a T in some tests because my Ti is developed and I'm highly attracted to things that are logical and that make sense so I answer thinking questions in tests positively. I ended up sometimes typed as INTJ and even an ISTJ.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I first tested as INFP, but after countless articles and self-reflecting, I actually found out that I was an INFJ. On this present day, I still have doubts over my type, but I can say that I am an INFx and that is enough. I have my personality type set to unknown not because I don't know which type I am, but it's more of that I'm a whole individual rather than just four letters that tell a partial amount of what could be my personality.

Anyways, welcome to the INFJ side, PhoenixReborn.
I'd like to hear how they seem superficial to you and why you think they're that way for you.

Reactions: R22

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
People change so therefore people are capable of evolving into a new type. One cannot simply and in a healthy manner say I am going to be such and such type because that is going against their normal self which is harmful. I feel I use to be an ISFJ as well when I was younger and then in my adolescence and late teens an INTJ.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It's all theory, really

I look at it generally on the same level as astrology

All the MBTI does for me is give me an idea as to what to expect

Humans cannot be confined to a 'type'

Also, bear in mind that people change over time. You're certainly not the same person you were ten years ago, correct?
thats because your cognitive functions were not as developed as they are now...but you could say that you "look a lot" to the person you were 10 years before

·
Registered
442 Posts
Some people theorize that we're born with a set personality, with distinct preferences, but because we live with other people, we have to learn to adapt who we are.
I strongly agree with this. And then becoming authentic is about discovering your own natural preferences. It's not so much that you really change, it's that you stop pretending to be something you are not.

MBTI is very much about inherent preferences. Meaning, what direction you go in life if you "take your hands off the wheel," so to speak. When you actually steer, you can find yourself in a very different place than you would have expected to be.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I first took the MBTI eighteen years ago (at the age of eighteen), after being introduced to the book Please Understand Me by my mother. I scored INFJ. After reading “The Fountainhead” and other works by Ayn Rand at age twenty-two, and adopting the philosophy of Objectivism, I found that I scored as an INTJ (which is Ayn Rand’s temperament). After abandoning Objectivism (and all other systems) a couple of years later, I found that I again scored consitently as an INFJ, but gap between the T and F has narrowed a bit since I was eighteen. I do identify with much what has been written in the various INTJ descriptions, though I do not feel it is as spot on as the INFJ descriptions.

Another thing I have noticed is that I have become increasingly more Perceiving, though not enough to alter the results. I feel that this is in part due to conscious effort on my part, and partly due to an evolving world view. I am also a textbook Virgo (the anal retentive sign), so a full conversion to Perceiving seems unlikely…:)

Since I first took the test I have held steady at 100% Introverted. I have also scored consistently strong in the Intuitive category, though not quite 100%. I cannot really fathom ever making the switch to Extroversion or Sensing.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Males INFJs typically come off as an INTJ. It is a defense mechanism against society because men aren't suppose to be emotional and INFJs do have a lot of emotion. I went through an INTJ stage as well and an ISFJ when I was very young up until mid teens. It is debatable if you are actually that type or you are just repressing your real type or have not grown into it yet.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Males INFJs typically come off as an INTJ. It is a defense mechanism against society because men aren't suppose to be emotional and INFJs do have a lot of emotion. I went through an INTJ stage as well and an ISFJ when I was very young up until mid teens. It is debatable if you are actually that type or you are just repressing your real type or have not grown into it yet.
I believe that you are correct. I was quite young when I tested as an INTJ. Since my late twenties, and especially in my thirties, I began to feel much more comfortable with who and what I am. I do have a tendency to repress my emotions, which can be quite strong. This makes excellent sense.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I first tested as INFP, but after countless articles and self-reflecting, I actually found out that I was an INFJ. On this present day, I still have doubts over my type, but I can say that I am an INFx and that is enough. I have my personality type set to unknown not because I don't know which type I am, but it's more of that I'm a whole individual rather than just four letters that tell a partial amount of what could be my personality.

Anyways, welcome to the INFJ side, PhoenixReborn.
I'd like to hear how they seem superficial to you and why you think they're that way for you.

For starters the friends I have made I find hard to connect with now. I don't think it is their fault but I just can't get excited over stupid things. I don't find myself having deep meaningful conversations with people I know because of the kind of people they are. That fact bothers me now.

I used to be a huge TV watcher I can't stand it anymore, everything is a lie or trying to sell you something and unless its the history channel talking about super massive black holes, it can't hold my attention for long.

I also find myself slowing down more, thinking a lot more about life and where I want to be what I want to do. Do I really want path A or path B.

I was the kind of person who would get into a relationship and my goal was always get married, finish school get a degree, or a high paying job and do it quick. Looking back on it now it just seemed so fake and barely scratching the surface.

I'm not saying I won't get married one day or that I don't want a degree but what is the rush!

I feel conflicted life used to feel so simple and in white and black with some gray. I feel like now its white/black/gray/blue/green and yellow

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wanted to thank everyone for your posts I got good feed back and your responses helped me sort through the thoughts in my head. :laughing:

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have tested multiple times over a few years, my first result was INFJ. At one time I was close to an INTP, and was easily influenced by her perspective.. so I began to test as INTP. Recently I have tested as INTJ. The order of my cognitive functions does not fit any typical personality type, though I know that I'm Ni dominant. I'm able to mimmic any way of seeing if that is what I wish.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i recently posted this joke in a INTJ topic

"You know you are an INTJ when you have not yet realized that human beings are more interesting than things ; then you become INFJ "

Neadless to say, it has not been seen as a joke !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts