Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im almost positive i've changed personality types from ESFJ to ENFJ. It hasn't been that dramatic of a change but i had a summer that really changed me and it's really interesting to read through others posts now and relate to all that the ENFJ's are saying.

IS this normal to change types like this? I just wasn't sure how often this happens to people.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I know from experience that ENFJs can take on the traits of ESFJs when they spend a lot of time around sensor types. If your pretty young it's easy to get mistyped or to be on the border, still feeling out what your preferences are I guess. Also usually when a person's younger the dominant function is more dominant; the auxiliary function and so on is supposed to show up more as a person matures--well, in theory at least.

I know Ni and Si can be similar because they both draw on past experience, but in different ways. Ni looks for patterns and picks up on little clues. A Ni user would remember things like "This person likes to talk about such and such" or "This person is offended by this or that" or "This is this person's schedule," etc. and For ENFJs, it usually works along with Se, which I guess, helps them adapt to whatever group they're in at present.
Si users, on the other hand, look to the past to look for what's worked for them. I find ESFJs tend to be much less chameleonlike than ENFJs because when dealing with social interaction or helping others, they usually look to the past to see what worked, and go with that. Or when they exert a value, they usually go with more traditional values "what's tried and true".

So if you relate to Ni-Se more than Si-Ne, than you're an ENFJ.
I would imagine that it's highly common for an ENFJ to be mistyped as an ESFJ since most of the people around them will probably be sensors, and ENFJs try to have a lot in common or at least come across as having a lot in common with the people around them; they usually know everyone around them at much deeper level than they know themselves

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is really funny you say that, because the most recent time I took the human metrics test, i was basically split right down the middle. I feel much more like a chameleon than anything else, being able to relate to people of all ages. When I'm with little kids, I can be super immature, but I can also act with maturity past my years if I really want to.

Thanks for the info!!! Its all making sense now!! ^^ I think i was able to tell the difference because of my change in environments, bringing out another side of me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I switch from ENTJ to ENFJ each time I take the test, so I just went with reading deeper into the two and decided I was an ENFJ.

Although believe me when I say that as you grow, your perceptions towards the world changes. My grandfather told me that this "mistyping" happens quite often because of the things that happen around us and that one person cannot simply stay one type forever. My grandfather is the director of the National Center for Mental Health in my country, so I bet he's very credible and what he says is true.

These four letters, as I think it is, only accurate depending on your current beliefs and take on the world. If it so happens that some moving event comes your way and you see/learn something you haven't learned before, then you have changed. And these experiences may or may not make you stick to what you believed previously or change it completely and act differently towards them. That's just what life is, constant changes.

I highly don't doubt I was an ENTJ for most of my current life, but look at me now. I'm an ENFJ and it only took a year on High School to change how I see the world and the goals I wanted to achieve. o u o

·
Registered
ESTJ 3w2 sp
3,087 Posts
I don't personally think that anyone can switch types. I think there's your true type and the journey it takes to get there. Along the way, there could be possible mistypes, or you could go through a rough time and use functions you wouldn't normally use. For instance, a lot of feelers waffle between T and F. I myself have done so in the past, and this was out of lack of knowledge. I believed the stereotypes and didn't want to be pegged as emotional and illogical. My biggest struggle was deciding between E and I because I had grown up in a repressed environment and because I can be really shy. However, it's important to remember that these letters stand for functions and it's also important to analyze yourself through the duration of your life, and not how you are currently, or worse, how you wish you were. It's more than just determining I/E, S/N, T/F, P/J, but to discover which functions are extroverted and introverted, and in what order you prefer to use them in.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
As far as my knowledge goes, you don't change 'type'. First of all, JCF is a system which explains cognition and methods of evaluation. MBTI convoluted that by making it behaviour based using very suspect research methodology. The descriptions are biased to say the least. And then Keirsey (not so much Keirsey) and his followers went on and created a system of Temperament based hierarchies which created all this confusion.

Finally we have Enneagrams which try to explain why we do what we do and I feel they are closer and more detailed than MBTI which is highly suspect IMO and includes a lot of overlap which is better explained in Enneagrams.

What one can do and is actually required to do is to develop the inferior function in order to round off their personalities more. Cognition means that every individual is capable of reaching the same conclusions but reach them differently.

I'm going to mention @LiquidLight here and I really hope he would comment on whether a person's type remains static, but the person has the ability to grow within their archetype, but not to become another archetype altogether.

IMO a person cannot change type. Otherwise had that kind of assertion been made or even readily acceptable, then it would be one of the biggest flaws in the system.

I mean, if type changes, then why have types to begin with?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had thought I was previously an ENFP or ESFP instead of INFP because I was so sociable and entergetic as a kid - in a much different way than I am now. What I realize now is that I was "experimenting" with my Ne and Fi until one of them became dominant. And this also appeared to be Se.
I've always been slightly shy, I've always valued privacy; I was just more outgoing when I was younger, but changed by environmental factors. I've decided to be more introspective in order to grow because that's what I want for myself courtesy of my Fi.

This is probably true for you as well. I know you're not exactly comparing childhood to adulthood, but I'm sure you've matured a lot between now and when you believed you were ESFJ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts