Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, ESTJs! I’m starting a kind of study of all the types to truly understand and see similar and different approaches, and to also have some insights for character stories I have in mind. And, of course, because I'm curious :wink:. Hopefully some day I can compile the info so that everyone can see what it’s like to be a type, and so that we can even learn how to develop the strengths from another type. I’ve tried my best to look up the answers already from other posts, sites, and searches, so I’m not just being lazy and rejecting a simple Google search; I’m just confirming my conclusions with the source to make sure the picture I’ve painted in my head matches the actual ones. And I know there’s an “Ask [type] Anything,” but I felt that my questions were so numerous and specific it might not be the best place and I might end up unwelcome there after a while :wink:. Also, I know the amount and specificity of the questions looks intimidating like I’m putting you under a microscope; I don’t mean it to be scary. I just made them that way because it helps to narrow down the accuracy on my end, so I designed them to give as many possible “idea conjurers” as they can to shine as much light on as many sides of the concept as possible. You have complete freedom to do whatever you like :happy:; if you wish, you can answer all of them, some of them, parts of them, or none of them. I won’t judge at all (feel free to let me know if I ever come off that way).

1. What does your dominant function/type mean to you?
2. How can you teach me to do what you’re better at than all the other types?
3. What would impress you about a person, or would make you respect/be loyal to them?
4. Why do people like you? (what about you makes them like you?)’
5. What do you have to give up in order to be you (what are your weaknesses, the ones you regret having)?
6. How do you have an unshatterable confidence, even when people directly attack you? I’m trying to learn to be so confident that nothing phases me (one of the things I admire about you ESTJs) and so I don’t question myself.
7. How do you seem to never make any mistakes when demonstrating external competence? How are you able to do something new and not bump anything, not drop anything, and not slip up ever?
A. My life seeping through a little. Might come off as a little insulting, but I’m trying to figure out how to mediate this with an ESTJ friend because it’s causing me to feel insulted. Those with dom-Te are often described as managing others even if it's just to help. What would someone need to do to show you that they don’t need you to tell them what to do and that their decision is their choice? The only close thing I’ve experienced is by showing complete intention in all actions and no fear at all.
B. And is there any way that we could have two opposing views that we could discuss without having to fight it out, or at least without this opposition ruining the relationship (I wouldn’t really care, but an ESTJ uncle is marrying into the family so I’d like to learn this just in case).
A. How do you become mentally strong? Like, strong enough to go up to someone at the gym and tell them that they left their weights on the squat rack and they need to walk back to the other side of the room to take their weights off so other people can use it.
B. My ESTJ friend once called himself an Alpha and that he “eats beta males for breakfast;” what does being Alpha mean specifically to you?
10. How in the world do you somehow always win? Goal? It’s done. Football running back? Everyone’s off you. Fighting? You beat the challenge of strength like an ox. How?

Thanks so much for making it this far and if you decide to give any thoughts, you have my thanks :chuncky: You ESTJs definitely know how to liven up a party! :wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts

According to the reading I've done, it means I'm good at thinking practically and planning out my actions, which is indeed something I value profoundly in my life.

Well, first you'd need to be willing to learn. Second, I'd teach it just like I teach just about anything else; I'd give you a hint and a push towards your first milestone, and then I'd let you figure things out for a while. Once you get stumped and stay that way for too long, I'd give you some guidance to get you rolling back again. Rinse repeat ad infinium, practically.

3. What would impress you about a person, or would make you respect/be loyal to them?

Being kind to others, above all, and being competent, right under it. I'd take a kind but slow person over a selfish genius. It's easier to turn an amateur into a master than it is to turn a cruel person into a selfless one.

I wouldn't be able to tell you, I'm not sure myself. Sometimes I tell jokes and they laugh. Sometimes I listen out their problems, giving emotional support and practical advice. Sometimes I help them do something they can't do by themselves. Sometimes I do something nice for them without them really asking for it.

5. What do you have to give up in order to be you (what are your weaknesses, the ones you regret having)?

Sometimes I'm not good enough. Whenever I realize that, I become obsessed with improving, and when I ultimately fail to achieve an impossible standard, I get demotivated and give up. This had been holding me back for a while. I want to change it, but to fear of not satisfying my own internal critic freezes me in my tracks.

6. How do you have an unshatterable confidence, even when people directly attack you? I’m trying to learn to be so confident that nothing phases me (one of the things I admire about you ESTJs) and so I don’t question myself.

The main thing is understanding that having a dispute with someone isn't going to fucking kill you(most of the time). If you have a thesis you believe in, then obviously you'd want to defend it with arguments in order to test if its really true. Questioning yourself is not a bad thing, it allows you to detect flaws in your logic and to improve your understanding of a subject. If someone manages to find a crack in my arguments, if they managed to make me question my own beliefs, then I won't dispute them until I've collected my thoughts and made a conclusion.

The problem is being afraid of being wrong. I dive straight into a discussion 100% ready to come out believing in something entirely different. This is because I know that if I believe in something, then it has to have some pretty strong logic behind it. That means that if something makes more sense than what I believed in previously, then the logic behind it must be even stronger than the one I had!

Humble yourself and don't think you're absolutely right, and don't think being wrong makes you lesser.

7. How do you seem to never make any mistakes when demonstrating external competence? How are you able to do something new and not bump anything, not drop anything, and not slip up ever?

I make mystakes.

Also, I'm not comfortable at all with the idea of improvising. I need to have a plan before I do anything, and sticking to that plan is how I'm able to put on the performance that creates the illusion of perfection.

8. My life seeping through a little. Might come off as a little insulting, but I’m trying to figure out how to mediate this with an ESTJ friend because it’s causing me to feel insulted. Those with dom-Te are often described as managing others even if it's just to help. What would someone need to do to show you that they don’t need you to tell them what to do and that their decision is their choice? The only close thing I’ve experienced is by showing complete intention in all actions and no fear at all.

The only way to show that you don't need help is by succeeding without that help; it's not really an applicable solution to long term goals, but in that case the only way I can see is by having the other person trust your own competence by proving yourself through other short-term goals.

And is there any way that we could have two opposing views that we could discuss without having to fight it out, or at least without this opposition ruining the relationship (I wouldn’t really care, but an ESTJ uncle is marrying into the family so I’d like to learn this just in case).

Open, honest discussion is the only answer I can find. If either of you decides to take it personally, feel threatened, and resent the other for having a different opinion, that's their individual problem, and not something the other can force a change.

Also, this item poses two questions, so it should be split in two separate items. This lack of foresight mildly irks me.

9. How do you become strong? Like, strong enough to go up to someone at the gym and tell them that they left their weights on the squat rack and they need to walk back to the other side of the room to take their weights off so other people can use it. My ESTJ friend once called himself an Alpha and that he “eats beta males for breakfast;” what does being Alpha mean specifically to you?

There we go again with the two questions in one dealio. Imma keep nagging on it! Also, I assume you don't mean strong in a literal sense.

For the first one, in that kind of situation, you need to be pretty comfortable in your surroundings and in your own potency. This is just me, but I would need to feel secure in knowing that either the gym staff would take my side, or that I am strong enough to make him do it myself if necessary. I'm not a weightlifting champion or a boxing master, but I have been lifting more and more weight as the weeks go by, and I can handle myself in a fight; That being said, I'm not stupid enough to pick a fight for no good reason. I am polite in my approach, and 9 out of 10 times, that gets me a neighbourly response. If they provoke conflict by being a rude ass, oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The gym I go to doesn't tolerate that kind of thing, so I'll just keep my cool and wait until he gets dragged out.

As for alpha, it's most definitely some dumb thing insecure guys say to make themselves feel better. A guy can be confident in his skills, his strength, and his looks, but the second he yells something about alpha, that means he thinks that there is no one better than him around, and that he's got the right to look down on others. That arrogance will get him humbled quick if he shows it near someone who is indeed better than him; I've seen it happen, and I've actually had it happen to me.

And trust me, there's always a bigger fish.

10. How in the world do you somehow always win? Goal? It’s done. Football running back? Everyone’s off you. Fighting? You beat the challenge of strength like an ox. How?

TRAINING.

PRACTICE AND PLANNING.

PRACTICE AND PLANNING TO THE MAX.

AND A LITTLE BIT OF LUCK.

DON'T HALF ASS THINGS.

DON'T GIVE UP.

PUSH YOUR LIMITS.

THAT'S HOW YOU WIN AT LIFE.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
9. How do you become strong? Like, strong enough to go up to someone at the gym and tell them that they left their weights on the squat rack and they need to walk back to the other side of the room to take their weights off so other people can use it. My ESTJ friend once called himself an Alpha and that he “eats beta males for breakfast;” what does being Alpha mean specifically to you?

There we go again with the two questions in one dealio. Imma keep nagging on it! Also, I assume you don't mean strong in a literal sense.

For the first one, in that kind of situation, you need to be pretty comfortable in your surroundings and in your own potency. This is just me, but I would need to feel secure in knowing that either the gym staff would take my side, or that I am strong enough to make him do it myself if necessary. I'm not a weightlifting champion or a boxing master, but I have been lifting more and more weight as the weeks go by, and I can handle myself in a fight; That being said, I'm not stupid enough to pick a fight for no good reason. I am polite in my approach, and 9 out of 10 times, that gets me a neighbourly response. If they provoke conflict by being a rude ass, oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The gym I go to doesn't tolerate that kind of thing, so I'll just keep my cool and wait until he gets dragged out.

As for alpha, it's most definitely some dumb thing insecure guys say to make themselves feel better. A guy can be confident in his skills, his strength, and his looks, but the second he yells something about alpha, that means he thinks that there is no one better than him around, and that he's got the right to look down on others. That arrogance will get him humbled quick if he shows it near someone who is indeed better than him; I've seen it happen, and I've actually had it happen to me.

And trust me, there's always a bigger fish.
I was expecting you to answer that in a way that I completely couldn't relate to, but you failed at being unrelateable lol, thanks this makes me feel like I have what it takes to handle myself i that situation as well.

Also I would like to ask what was the type of the person who asked these questions. I have a feeling it was INFP.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HOLY CRAP DUDE, that was awesome! And super inspiring! You got all 10 out of 10, I'm pretty sure that gives you "would bang" status ;D Seriously, though, thank you for answering this at all, and a huge thank you for answering all of them! (I also edited the questions so the two-fer-one'ers are split into halves ;) )

The main thing is understanding that having a dispute with someone isn't going to fucking kill you(most of the time). If you have a thesis you believe in, then obviously you'd want to defend it with arguments in order to test if its really true. Questioning yourself is not a bad thing, it allows you to detect flaws in your logic and to improve your understanding of a subject. If someone manages to find a crack in my arguments, if they managed to make me question my own beliefs, then I won't dispute them until I've collected my thoughts and made a conclusion.
Interesting. Okay, I see. So what do I do in order to realize that the dispute won't kill me, as if it's getting myself to "let go" of that person? I always seem to get stuck when dealing with these difficult situations. For me, it's like:
Someone is crossing a line, attacking me, or even just questioning me->I build my mind up organizing the info of why my way is better/why I'm confident in myself->I start to approach and hear a voice in my head saying I knew in the first place that there must be a reason for them to think/do what they did->I start thinking of all the reasons why this person thinks differently->I therefore just came up with a ton of reasons of how I could be wrong->I then have to ask myself, "Do I really know what I'm talking about?"->This therefore doesn't really matter->So if I do create/prolong a conflict and end up being okay with "bitch slapping" this person, how do I know I didn't just close the door to something great for our lives just because I didn't try to save the relationship (in other words, how do I really know that I'm okay with not needing this person in my life)->I get stuck in a loop of "I need to stand up for myself--is this person overstepping--should I be nice and likable--would that make me a pushover--I need to stand up for myself" and I end up just being nervous and unconfident in myself because I now am only sure that I don't know all the factors and don't know how I should come off to this person. Y'know? It's that whole internal debate with myself of whether I should be warm and likable or strong and powerful. :/

It's also because for as long as I could remember, when I'm questioned (put on the spot) or put into a conflict, it feels like there's a knife being plunged into my solar plexus and I get nervous. Maybe it's adrenaline being released or something. I suppose exposure to this feeling might overcome it, but it's super annoying because I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong, but I'd like to make a good case without thinking that since someone has a different view I probably am wrong. Ugh. Sometimes I hate being open-minded.

For the first one, in that kind of situation, you need to be pretty comfortable in your surroundings and in your own potency. This is just me, but I would need to feel secure in knowing that either the gym staff would take my side, or that I am strong enough to make him do it myself if necessary. I'm not a weightlifting champion or a boxing master, but I have been lifting more and more weight as the weeks go by, and I can handle myself in a fight; That being said, I'm not stupid enough to pick a fight for no good reason. I am polite in my approach, and 9 out of 10 times, that gets me a neighbourly response. If they provoke conflict by being a rude ass, oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The gym I go to doesn't tolerate that kind of thing, so I'll just keep my cool and wait until he gets dragged out. [/B]
Hmm... so how do you approach either scenario? Do you start off with a smile saying, "Hey, it's no big deal, but...." or is it more like, "Hey man, are those your weights? Are you done with them? Well, were you planning on taking them off?" And if the person does provoke a conflict by being a rude ass (let's say it's an environment where it's just you and him), are you confident because you're ready for a fight, or do you prepare more of a moral case against what they're doing? Or do you just smile and say "Okay" and walk off?

TRAINING.

PRACTICE AND PLANNING.

PRACTICE AND PLANNING TO THE MAX.

AND A LITTLE BIT OF LUCK.

DON'T HALF ASS THINGS.

DON'T GIVE UP.

PUSH YOUR LIMITS.

THAT'S HOW YOU WIN AT LIFE.
HELL YEAH NOW I'M PUMPED

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I would like to ask what was the type of the person who asked these questions. I have a feeling it was INFP.
Close, but I'm an ENFP ;) Although to be fair I'm not really the most conventional ENFP, because as you can see I'm trying to develop my Fi and Te haha

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts

On a function level, it means I process the world via facts/data before logic. If forced to choose between, I'll generally prefer what the facts say (or what the practical value of something offers) over the logic (or theoretical implications).

Being an ESTJ doesn't mean much to me other than it makes me the boogey man of the MBTI world. I get a kick out of that.

I don't think there's anything I'm automatically better at than any other type.

I am generally impressed by qualities I don't have but think are good/admirable. For example, the ability to remain calm in any given situation. The ability to control the emotional atmosphere of a room.

I am loyal to people who do things for others that require personal sacrifice/effort, especially if it is done without expectation of personal gain.

4. Why do people like you? (what about you makes them like you?)

Not entirely sure. I'm guessing I make them feel better than they did before they saw me (if I make them feel worse, I hope they ditch me for their own sake).

I would have to give up hope in having any stable relationships (romantic, friendly, etc) in order to be truly me.

Weaknesses include: passive about forming friendships (I usually let others initiate), making relationships an extremely low priority (compared to work, self-education, etc), difficulty expressing strong emotions in an assertive but not aggressive way.

I don't have unshatterable confidence. Things do phase me. I just try to acknowledge where my limitations are, check my ego, and not take things personally. It's a work in progress.

Regarding Fi-related things, I can come off as unshakeable/hostile to Fe-types at times.

Hahaha. Oh believe me, I've fucked some really basic things up.

That said, I've found if you don't draw attention to your own mistakes, most people don't notice. Once, when in high school, I drove to school only to realize I'd brought my socks but forgotten my shoes. Rather than go home, I put on my socks and acted as if I also had shoes. No one noticed.

A. My life seeping through a little. Might come off as a little insulting, but I’m trying to figure out how to mediate this with an ESTJ friend because it’s causing me to feel insulted. Those with dom-Te are often described as managing others even if it's just to help. What would someone need to do to show you that they don’t need you to tell them what to do and that their decision is their choice? The only close thing I’ve experienced is by showing complete intention in all actions and no fear at all.

I've had this problem. The biggest issue is presenting your problems as if you are seeking advice. If you don't want to be managed, be very clear you aren't looking for advice. You're just looking for someone to hear you complain/talk/etc. Set boundaries. If you don't, the ESTJ will set them for you.

ESTJs want to help people they care about, and they do this by offering practical solutions to perceived problems.

B. And is there any way that we could have two opposing views that we could discuss without having to fight it out, or at least without this opposition ruining the relationship (I wouldn’t really care, but an ESTJ uncle is marrying into the family so I’d like to learn this just in case).

Don't bring these topics up. If you need to say something, make a statement about what you think in a non-aggressive, non-accusatory fashion, and then shut up and move on. If you've said what you think once, nobody's deaf and needs to hear it 12940202 more times.

I've got family I have my disagreements with. The disagreements aren't going away, so it's best to stop making them a focal point of the conversation. Nobody wants drama, unless you're crazy.

A. How do you become mentally strong? Like, strong enough to go up to someone at the gym and tell them that they left their weights on the squat rack and they need to walk back to the other side of the room to take their weights off so other people can use it.

I feel you on this.

Personally, I think the fear of confronting people is not about being in conflict with someone; it's about not being able to control the outcome. You can tell someone you want them to do something, but that still isn't necessarily going to make them do it.

Learning to be assertive even if it means you don't get to control the outcome...I think that's where you find balance. Understanding that being assertive is about speaking up and letting people know you don't like something, even if nothing is going to change immediately as a result of singling yourself out.

That and being comfortable with the fact that you have no control over what other people think about you.

B. My ESTJ friend once called himself an Alpha and that he “eats beta males for breakfast;” what does being Alpha mean specifically to you?

In a non-douche way, it means being assertive and being responsible for one's self.

Only pick the battles you can win.

I kid.

Sort of.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello, ESTJs! I’m starting a kind of study of all the types to truly understand and see similar and different approaches, and to also have some insights for character stories I have in mind. And, of course, because I'm curious :wink:. Hopefully some day I can compile the info so that everyone can see what it’s like to be a type, and so that we can even learn how to develop the strengths from another type. I’ve tried my best to look up the answers already from other posts, sites, and searches, so I’m not just being lazy and rejecting a simple Google search; I’m just confirming my conclusions with the source to make sure the picture I’ve painted in my head matches the actual ones. And I know there’s an “Ask [type] Anything,” but I felt that my questions were so numerous and specific it might not be the best place and I might end up unwelcome there after a while :wink:. Also, I know the amount and specificity of the questions looks intimidating like I’m putting you under a microscope; I don’t mean it to be scary. I just made them that way because it helps to narrow down the accuracy on my end, so I designed them to give as many possible “idea conjurers” as they can to shine as much light on as many sides of the concept as possible. You have complete freedom to do whatever you like :happy:; if you wish, you can answer all of them, some of them, parts of them, or none of them. I won’t judge at all (feel free to let me know if I ever come off that way).

Thanks so much for making it this far and if you decide to give any thoughts, you have my thanks :chuncky: You ESTJs definitely know how to liven up a party! :wink:

1. seeing everything practically and working on making the most out of everything. I am big on effectiveness and efficiency. I also like stability and order. so I use Te to organize and figure out how a place whether physical or online can be ran with more efficiency and effectively. I also organize things to be done in the best order. I don't waste time! I hate the concept of boredom.
2. Assign you something in that field, give you work to do and watch. I'll talk to you about it a bit before. here's some ideas on how it works by examples and what may be the most interesting details to pay attention to. While watching I will say stuff if I see you are doing it wrong or not as competently. I believe that doing it many times helps understanding so I'll give you multiple examples of each. I believe in Drilling. If it's not reduplicatable, it would be spending a lot of time on it. A new OS as an example.
3. competency, loyalty, respect, honesty, intelligence, hard working, empathetic, be an expert at what you do or want of it and self improving.
4. First thing to know is that I am a female ESTJ. I am also blind. My intelligence, confidence, a willingness to say what I think and stand up for my positions, my competency, my honesty, my ability to just listen at times, my good generally rule and policy following, my dedication, My consistent want for improvement for myself and others, and my willingness to be well adjusted to the normal world, I let nothing and no one stop me, I call it being blind and pragmatic. I am blind but I do all that is required in school, be as integrated as possible, I even know the areas of 3 counties, I've worked hard and long at that. I try to do as many things without excuses or modifications if all possible, and I don't give up or play the blind card if I don't have to. Even if it's difficult I learn it. furthermore, I am not a emotional and always disgruntled disabled person. there's always a problem with their disability or excuse that they can't follow rules, I follow most if not all. If I get leeway I earn them like being friends with some of the staff, so it's more of an exception in terms of favors then exception for disability. I don't demand and complain like a lot of blind people, I strive and accomplish. I complain little if at all. I am 1w9 so if I am dissatisfied I'll try for reform efforts.
5. I think being temperamental is one of them. I think when frustration gets the better of me I can go at it. I also think that working too hard can also be a real problem. I forget or can't be bothered to do the more smaller things like eat and sleep. If I don't have to cook I won't. but I can and I try to be as structured as I can with both. I also can be very self-critical, and especially when deadlines are approaching the stress can be a lot and sometimes I panic more than other times.
6. I think you have to really believe in yourself and your ideas. I believe strongly in what I believe in. You have to know that your positions are right and the proof and justification to back it up. I also see blatant attacks as silly so if you're insulting me, I will just kindly ignore you or laugh. I have no time for immaturity. I don't have a lot of patience for it though.
7. I guess you have to be really careful when you do something, know how to do it and figure it out in advanced if it's difficult I also use Te to efficiently get it done. which is the best way to do it?
8. First have you tried telling him that you think you've got how to make this decision? I don't know what it is so I won't try to agree or disagree with it. If I think someone isn't competent enough it doesn't matter though. I would try to show competency by showing through action that this decision works for the better. If it's a lifestyle or religious choice there will never be an agreement I am afraid.
9. I don't call myself an alpha at all, but I lead a lot and am inclined to like power. I just do it, I approach them and say it to them because it's the right thing to do and they are clearly in the wrong. I'd say something like, "Hey, you left your weights on the rack over on that side of the room. I think that you should pick it up, because don't you think that others may want to use it? You wouldn't like if someone else or I left stuff on the rack do you? You kind of have to do your part in this world. We can all have no responsibility and then this world will absolutely be a chaos." I think being confident in what you know is right and wrong, just and unjust, moral or immoral is the most important thing.
10. I learn and become good at what I need to and am confident in it before I except a challenge. We are good at what we do because we work for it. How do you get good grades? People ask me this all the time in grade school. You work for it? You try your hardest even 150 percent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts